BEARDED THEORY 2016

THEBOILERMAN

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, thurlow84 said:

What are the campsites like?

Is everyone all very civillised or are there some areas of the camp site where its best to avoid?

As far as I'm aware they're all the same, I've always had lovely neighbours, never really head to certain area, just pitch where we feel. Looking at that map, I forget where we were this year, but it was great.. Sorry I realise this post was of no help to you...

1 hour ago, thurlow84 said:

What are the campsites like?

Is everyone all very civillised or are there some areas of the camp site where its best to avoid?

Last year there were a couple of groups by us who were up all night. Always drives me nuts but I can't say anything because we've all done it. I think the family camping is actually family/quiet camping? Anyway, saw lots of people without kids there last year and may go for it. I'd rather be woken by kids in the morning than pissed blokes in the night.

2 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

How quick does it usually take for Walton Wood to fill up? Might give that a go as it's nearest to the arena.

Its difficult to say this year as its changed a bit - there is more Campervan space and Catton didnt open at all last year - it was set aside as overflow camping that wasnt needed.

Im proper excited now, giddy in fact.  I'll be there this time next week!

9 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Last year there were a couple of groups by us who were up all night. Always drives me nuts but I can't say anything because we've all done it. I think the family camping is actually family/quiet camping? Anyway, saw lots of people without kids there last year and may go for it. I'd rather be woken by kids in the morning than pissed blokes in the night.

I camped in family/quiet zone last year and it was quiet during the night. On the negative side, the little tykes got up very early to play football against the fence next to my tent, which is fair enough but meant I couldn't lie in. It might also be worth pointing out that I thought the emphasis was very much on family, rather than quiet. As a middle aged man I felt a bit weird and out of place there, to be honest, though this was probably in my head as no one seemed bothered. Might be better this year as its been rearranged. Our plan B - assuming the Catton bit is open this time -  is just to camp as far away from the arena as possible, on the basis that the party animals prefer to be close. This works pretty well at Latitude.

1 hour ago, Perks said:

As far as I'm aware they're all the same, I've always had lovely neighbours, never really head to certain area, just pitch where we feel. Looking at that map, I forget where we were this year, but it was great.. Sorry I realise this post was of no help to you...

It was helpful thanks

29 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Im not sure were will be best for me, im kind of late to bed and early to rise, i like the idea of getting back to camp and unwinding for an short while before bed so it would be good to have similar neighbours

Just dont want little shits recking my tent which has happened when ive been camped on my own more than once now

Everyone around us was very pleasant last year, just a few who thought it was funny to shout stuff all night, and some others who were off their faces on fuck knows what and talked shit all night.

Best idea is probably to just get hammered so you sleep through everything :)

In 2013 I woke up to a scene resembling CSI Derbyshire when a tent by us was raided, the inhabitants arrested and their tent taken away (they'd been robbing from other tents). I slept through the whole thing.

5 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Location a bit damp today but not too bad. Ground still holding up well 

Good stuff, quite jealous that you're already there. 

Anyone got the info on when everything closes each night? Sure I saw it somewhere but can't now locate it. 

3 minutes ago, timespeedsup said:

Good stuff, quite jealous that you're already there. 

Anyone got the info on when everything closes each night? Sure I saw it somewhere but can't now locate it. 

Apparently Ackos closes at 12AM, all the other bars close at 3AM.

39 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

BBC weather currently showing dry Thursday and Sunday,  light showers Friday and Saturday. 

The weather forecast last year was bloody awful right up until the Thursday - I remember because I was obsessionally looking at it deciding whether to buy a ticket to my first BT. In the end I thought, sod it, I'm never going to go at this rate, bought a ticket at around 6pm on the Wednesday in spite of the forecast, bundled a few things in the car and went on an adventure. It felt as if directly as a result of my act of faith the clouds parted and we all had a lovely dry time. While I don't really go for this NFRNFC voodoo, I still consider myself personally responsible for last year's weather, so you'll be pleased to learn I'm coming again this time. 

Edited by sparkythetortoise

The only time the weather's not been great when I've been was the only time I went on my own. Whenever my mate comes with me, the weather is great.

He bought a ticket last week! 

Same with Glastonbury too. He's a stuffy bugger.

2014 was a proper biblical downpour, I said then and still believe that that was ALL of our rain for the next five or six years. 

Last year's weather was beautiful, too sunny for me at times. I actualy had our wonderful Scots neighbours taking the mickey out of how quickly I got sunburnt.

Rain or Shine I can't wait. 

Edited by maninkilt

Hello all and good afternoon! Sorry if this is the wrong place for this type of chatter. Ive impulsively decided to buy a ticket to bearded theory rather than stagnate in sunny leeds all bank holiday!

Unfortunately it is too short notice for my local buddies and so I'll be on my tod. 

Has anyone been to Bearded Theory solo? How was it? I haven't been to a festival in many-a-year.

Ps. Woooooo! killing joke! 

31 minutes ago, tyromateia said:

Hello all and good afternoon! Sorry if this is the wrong place for this type of chatter. Ive impulsively decided to buy a ticket to bearded theory rather than stagnate in sunny leeds all bank holiday!

Unfortunately it is too short notice for my local buddies and so I'll be on my tod. 

Has anyone been to Bearded Theory solo? How was it? I haven't been to a festival in many-a-year.

First time for us at Bearded Theory, but in the past have done several festivals solo and really enjoy them. Make friends with your campsite neighbours and you may well be adopted by them. You also have the freedom to see who you want to see and go where you want to go without having to decide by committee.

+1 for KJ, probably seen them six or seven  times over the years and always been blown away by them. One of the most bizarre was at V fest about 12 years ago when because of someone pulling out all the set times when out of the window and they played to about 50 of us down the front with about10,000 bemused punters behind who were expecting to see the snoozfest that was Athelete.

1 hour ago, tyromateia said:

Did exactly the same last year went to Bearded on my own on a whim the night before. You'll have no worries - I never felt anything but comfortable and at home - loads of friendly people and not a single grumpy one that I can recall. Because its so compact its ideal for a solo person grazing on this or that without having to defer to anyone else. Am returning with a mate this year but happily go on my own again. Wide age range too, so however old you are, you wont feel or look out of place, if that sort of thing worries you.

...Oh, and another thumbs up for Killing Joke. though I last saw them 35 years ago. How is it even possible to have seen a band 35 years ago?