Rock Werchter 2016

Tremousse

1 hour ago, Orens said:

Last year they expanded the Barn's capacity to 15k, and the KluB's to 10k... but the Israeli guys who went to see alt-j, Alabama Shakes and co. are still complaining about the packed tents.

Went to see Alabama Shakes last time as well...saw one song and left, the tent was way overpacked & it was very steamy. I'm open for the screens option, since they're nothing new, they were there in 2008 (or 2009...can't remember exactly) :) 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Orens said:

Last year they expanded the Barn's capacity to 15k, and the KluB's to 10k... but the Israeli guys who went to see alt-j, Alabama Shakes and co. are still complaining about the packed tents.

Last year we missed out on a couple of acts mainly Alt-J cause it was over packed, we couldn't even get close to going in, and when we did manage to get in, during the day the heat was unbearable. It was like being inside of a sauna.

Yeah the tents were ridiculously hot last year. I did tweet them about this and they said they were looking into it. 

A lot of acts I want to see in the tents this year so I hope they sort it.

wonder if there will be a screen for the Euros? Bound to be a couple of games on, I think the quarter finals that weekend. 

Ready for a comeback in 2016: a big screen outside KluB C and The Barn! The screen will be placed in between both tents, which have programming taking turns. If one of them reaches its full capacity, the screen outside is switched on and you’ll be able to watch the show there too.

Hi. I'm wondering if someone can help with some information? I've just booked tickets for this years festival and flights to and from Charleroi, although my return flight is at 06.55 on the Monday morning. I am thinking of booking an airport transfer to take us to Charleroi from around 02.00, seeing as public transport is out of the question at the time.

My first question - Is Leuven train station the best location for the pick up point or is there a particular place I would be able to meet closer to the grounds of the festival?

Secondly - If indeed Leuven is the best place for the transfer to collect me, what time does the shuttle bus service running to and from the festival shut down?

Finally - Can I expect the last shuttle to be busy and maybe even full?

Thanks in advance.

27 minutes ago, Phindle said:

Hi. I'm wondering if someone can help with some information? I've just booked tickets for this years festival and flights to and from Charleroi, although my return flight is at 06.55 on the Monday morning. I am thinking of booking an airport transfer to take us to Charleroi from around 02.00, seeing as public transport is out of the question at the time.

My first question - Is Leuven train station the best location for the pick up point or is there a particular place I would be able to meet closer to the grounds of the festival?

Secondly - If indeed Leuven is the best place for the transfer to collect me, what time does the shuttle bus service running to and from the festival shut down?

Thanks in advance.

I cant answer on question number 1 but I can tell you that the train station is a good place because the shuttle bring you straight to there. 

There are plenty of shuttles and they make round trips all the time so you'll be alright,  no one's left behind.  Keep in mind that after the headliner on Sunday, everybody goes out at the  same time and heading pretty much in the same direction (thats the way to the shuttles,  b camping,  c camping and there are food and beers stalls too) so the 10 minutes walk can last more than an hour. Plan accordingly. 

Edit - maybe the shuttles that going to the Hive are running too - I never try them at night,  if so (you can ask RW in Twitter) that's probably faster although the walk is a bit longer. 

Edited by e2p2

19 hours ago, Phindle said:

Thanks in advance.

To answer your first question: Last year we tried to arrange a taxi to pick us up somewhere close to the festival, unfortunately they told us that it isn't possible as cars weren't allowed with-in a certain distance to the festival, and the location they mentioned where the could pick us up, we had no idea where it was, so we opted to use the shuttle to get to Leuven and than a train to the airport.

Second question: There is no time limit, I've asked on twitter, the day we arrived and on the last day of the festival, we kept getting the same answer, as long as there are people waiting for the shuttle, the service will be available. Although that wasn't true. After we packed everything and started walking towards the shuttle they told us the last shuttle will be leaving in 5mins that was around 2:30am, and yes the shuttle was packed at that time.

22 hours ago, Dietediet said:

Backpacks will be allowed, but there will be very strict controls at the entrance, just confirmed. 

is that no chance of sneaking in spirits then?

If you took a water bottle and filled it with water and threw the lid, would they smell it or let you through?

3 hours ago, foolee said:

is that no chance of sneaking in spirits then?

If you took a water bottle and filled it with water and threw the lid, would they smell it or let you through?

Not sure how strict they'll be but surely you can .  Understandable why they need a higher level of security still pisses me off.  Feels like the terrorist is winning. 

1 hour ago, Red Day said:

Not sure how strict they'll be but surely you can .  Understandable why they need a higher level of security still pisses me off.  Feels like the terrorist is winning. 

You're absolutely right mate ! And the security feeling they want to create is an illusion. Risks are the same. Actually these controls will just remind me how unsecure it is. Anyway, we'll have an awesome time there :) 

19 hours ago, Tremousse said:

You're absolutely right mate ! And the security feeling they want to create is an illusion. Risks are the same. Actually these controls will just remind me how unsecure it is. Anyway, we'll have an awesome time there :) 

Absolutely .  

20 hours ago, lightning1000 said:

I'm struggling to find the link between gazebos and terrorism if I'm honest. 

There is no direct link. Fact is, they can't take the risk on any explosion, even it is a gazebos. Last year 7 people get injured on the PKP campsite because of a gazebos. Even it is an accident, people/media will start speculate.
In addition, there are many new laws imposed by the government. It has already cost a lot of trouble to allow backpacks.
I can understand the security feeling they want to create is an illusion, but they have no choice.

Apparently they've been planning for a longer while to forbid the gazebos (they already weren't allowed on The Hive last year). Basically they're just putting it in the list of safety measures to impose the ban regardless of heavy criticism. 

And while it's true that all those measures are merely an illusion, we have to understand that this illusion is important for some people. We know that terrorists will always find a way but we don't let our actions be decided by that. Other people do though. Ever since the Paris attacks Belgian cultural life has seen the impact of people's fear (sold out shows with hundreds of empty seats, definite sell outs that don't sell out, ...). And festival organisers cannot risk to have hundreds of people staying home just because they don't feel safe enough (note that this isn't only about Rock Werchter, hundreds is a lot when you have an 8000 people capacity). Same goes for the artists. If the rumours are true that Pearl Jam cancelled because of the attacks, other artists might be willing to do the same after hearing all those Brussels news stories. 

Wonder how ticket sales are going and if the attacks have put a lot of people off.  Combis were sold well before this time last as were the day tickets,except the Friday.  Think line up is pretty stale this year and that may also have affected ticket sales.  

4 hours ago, Dietediet said:

Apparently they've been planning for a longer while to forbid the gazebos (they already weren't allowed on The Hive last year). Basically they're just putting it in the list of safety measures to impose the ban regardless of heavy criticism.

Is this all sized gazebos? The website states gazebos larger than 3x3 won't be allowed, and we definitely took a 3x3 gazebo into the Hive last year.

It's a massive downpoint of a festival to me if I can't get a bit of respite from the sun whilst at the campsite. 

I think tickets sales are more sleepy then this thread.   Those 'last friday tickets'  are still available and even McCartney isn't enough to sell his day. Im sure it has something to do with security but I think the lineup is the major problem. 

5 hours ago, e2p2 said:

I think tickets sales are more sleepy then this thread.   Those 'last friday tickets'  are still available and even McCartney isn't enough to sell his day. Im sure it has something to do with security but I think the lineup is the major problem. 

I agree with you. They've made a big mistake with their line up this year imho. It just lacks any wow factor

2 hours ago, Red Day said:

I agree with you. They've made a big mistake with their line up this year imho. It just lacks any wow factor

Yeah,  no wow factor. No well-established artist playing in low slots (DCFC at 15:10, Ryan Adams at 18:15, Counting Crows at 17:00 in 2015 for example). Not. What most regulars expected I guess.