Latitude 2016

Amy Lawn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

hmm i'd forgotten about Gorillaz - seems odd that they'll seemingly be back this year yet not playing any festivals, unless they're not releasing anything until later in the year

Yeah I agree. However we haven't heard anything as of yet about any shows or festivals anywhere so I think it seems wishful thinking they'll play Latitude. An album later in the year seems more likely at the moment.

1 hour ago, PDAD said:

So does everyone reckon this sort of thing is looking likely?

Friday: Maccabees Obelisk / Father John Misty Radio 6

Saturday: The National Obelisk / Guy Garvey Radio 6 

Sunday: Massive Attack Obelisk / Jamie XX Radio 6 

the would be perfect for me

FJM , The National & Jamie Xxx

5 hours ago, pryce said:

maybe switch the sat and sun Radio 6 headliners around ...seems to make more sense

Which would mean a The National vs. FJM clash.  I struggle to think of how Latitude could come up with a more horrendous clash than that.  So please let's hope Dirty Dog's line-up is the one.  And while Moz does know most things, when it comes to The National he doesn't.  Actually we have a similar divergence on VW, but that's another story and another place.

26 minutes ago, Born in the fifties said:

Which would mean a The National vs. FJM clash.  I struggle to think of how Latitude could come up with a more horrendous clash than that.  So please let's hope Dirty Dog's line-up is the one.  And while Moz does know most things, when it comes to The National he doesn't.  Actually we have a similar divergence on VW, but that's another story and another place.

Nope ..

That would be switching Friday and sat ..not sat and sun ;)

On 10 February 2016 at 10:05 AM, retromoz said:

I dont get the fascination with the National. In my (obviously dead ear-ed) opinion, they are.....alright. Nowt more, nowt less.

Same here, watched them at Leeds Festival 2011 after these forums went mental about them playing, bored the shit out of me so went for a drink and something to eat.

22 hours ago, PDAD said:

So does everyone reckon this sort of thing is looking likely?

Friday: Maccabees Obelisk / Father John Misty Radio 6

Saturday: The National Obelisk / Guy Garvey Radio 6 

Sunday: Massive Attack Obelisk / Jamie XX Radio 6 

Seems a lot of people are taking this line up as pretty much gospel (with variations on days) - which is great for my tastes by the way :) - is this just conjecture?

Also Last Shadow Puppets were mooted for a while - have they dropped off the radar or announced elsewhere? Not really taking notice of other line ups as Latitude will be my only Festie this year....

3 hours ago, livemusicfan said:

Seems a lot of people are taking this line up as pretty much gospel (with variations on days) - which is great for my tastes by the way :) - is this just conjecture?

Also Last Shadow Puppets were mooted for a while - have they dropped off the radar or announced elsewhere? Not really taking notice of other line ups as Latitude will be my only Festie this year....

That's purely a guess on my part but it seems very likely, what with The National and FJM playing Longitude and Massive, Maccabees and Jamie XX at Beni. Also, I'd be surprised if Guy Garvey doesn't show up with his new album, and I reckon 6Music headline seems most fitting. 

Last Shadow Puppets are playing Ali Pali on both the Friday and Saturday so they are around, however I'm not sure if two London gigs would maybe put Latitude off booking them in a big spot, when people can see them easily over that weekend anyway. 

Yeah saw the Ally Pally gigs after I posted - would only put them in the frame for Sunday and with possible Maccabees and The National not quite the right mix for a headline slot? - essentially 3 'indie guitar' bands. Would much prefer Massive Attack anyday.

Agree it seems a VERY good shout for a possible line-up.

Least bothered about Maccabees - only seen them when they were doing 'pub' gigs and as support for others so would be fun to see how they have made the step up over the years - but if ur right I will be in FJM anyway.. :)

Here's hoping for return headliner for the first time in The National or that the Radiohead coup has really happened - which I'm sure it hasn't...

Can't muster any enthusiasm for the Maccas, never been able to. I absolutely love FJM and Massive Attack, both great live, but it'll be the fourth and third times respectively that I've seen them play. I've got my fingers crossed for a curveball to be thrown in, somebody I've not seen before and can get really excited about. Last year it was Portishead, the year before it was Robyn; Cat Power and Bon Iver have been massive wish fulfillment in previous years as well. I always fall in love with acts when the line-up comes out, and there are always great bands I've seen before, but I really want to see somebody I've been after seeing for ages. In an ideal world we'd get Brian Wilson doing Pet Sounds + a couple of hits on Sunday lunchtime. That would do very nicely indeed.

Kudos on Brian Wilson - sadly he is in the States Latitude weekend :( - but let's hope for a return to a 'proper' Sunday lunchtime slot this year...

Totally agree on the curveball - but Massive Attack would be a first time live for me so that would be my curveball if it happens. Saw Sharon Van Etten for the first time at Latitude 2012 and seen her every time she has been over here since. Plus didn't really expect to love Kelis so much. My interest in James was reawakened due to their truncated set 2 years ago - and that was after not seeing them live for almost 30 years!

'Old friends' are good to see again - but curveballs really make a festival.

On 2/12/2016 at 9:17 AM, livemusicfan said:

Kudos on Brian Wilson - sadly he is in the States Latitude weekend :( - but let's hope for a return to a 'proper' Sunday lunchtime slot this year...

Totally agree on the curveball - but Massive Attack would be a first time live for me so that would be my curveball if it happens. Saw Sharon Van Etten for the first time at Latitude 2012 and seen her every time she has been over here since. Plus didn't really expect to love Kelis so much. My interest in James was reawakened due to their truncated set 2 years ago - and that was after not seeing them live for almost 30 years!

'Old friends' are good to see again - but curveballs really make a festival.

Shit news on Brian. Completely agree with you that we need something amazing to make up for last year. Nobody saw The Atomic Bomb Band coming, lots of people didn't even know what it was, but they're probably the best Sunday lunchtime slot I've seen at Latitude. I've really got to hand it to the bookers there, they made a ballsy call and it paid off for them in incredible style. For it to be preceded by James and immediately followed by Nils Frahm just cemented it as one of the best festival days ever. If Damon has Africa Express going this year, I could see them getting booked.

Massive Attack really are great live. I can't think of a better headliner for this year, I'm not complaining over the fact I've seen them before. My friend and I walked out of their show the other week saying how much we'd love to see that again at Latitude (with a few extra hits added in). Missed SVE in 2012 for reasons that elude me, I can't think why I would be that stupid, but I was. My first time seeing her was in Manchester Cathedral on the Are We There tour, she was completely brilliant.