Latitude 2016

Amy Lawn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SO......what an odd announcement.

For me, the headliners are yr typical white bread indie. And the 6 music tent headliners arnt really doing it for me either (although, if Kurt Vile isnt headlining, then there is still one to be announced..) BUT...the undercard is SO fricking strong! And we STILL have the lake stage, Other voices (if they come back. fingers crossed), alcove, comedy, literary, film tent & 'cabaret' (which ends up being stand up during the day), AS WELL as the 'woods' and any other things....

SO....im EXCITED! I just wish i wanted to see a headliner too.....

3 hours ago, Rock_and/or_Roll said:

I definitely could, not that I'd want him to. I reckon there will definitely be at least one more person above him and Courtney Barnett.

Well I'd certainly welcome more acts that high up the lineup :) 

There were definitely bigger names in the first announcement for 2015 but I guess last year was the big 10th anniversary special so some downscaling was inevitable

I don't know why they'd hold back on the comedy stage either, unless it's somehow even stronger than last year, but it'll all be with us eventually :)

No Massive Attack + Young Fathers hurts so bad, so so bad. WHY Melvin? WHYYYY?

Once I got over that tantrum at roughly lunchtime, I realised it's a solid line-up. Not doing as much for me as previous years, but no UK line-ups appeal to me that much this year, Latitude seems to be the best of the bunch so far.

Really pleased with M83, British Sea Power, Father John Misty, Polica, Blanck Mass, Suuns, Pantha Du Prince, Chvrches and Black Mountain.

The National have never grabbed me, but I reckon I could end up being a fan if I give them my ears long enough. Grimes has always seemed like she'd be my favoruite act on paper but then does nothing for me in practise, maybe I need to give her another listen and see if I can get there. Frightened Rabbit fall into the same category as The National for me. 

All in all it's lacking that one gem to tie everything together, but there's everything left to play for. Two whole stages of music haven't even been mentioned yet, and the three there aren't even half full.

Now I await the arrival of Retromoz to say which hidden genius in the Sunrise (nobody else notice it's gone back it its proper name?) I've overlooked.

7 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

All in all it's lacking that one gem to tie everything together, but there's everything left to play for. Two whole stages of music haven't even been mentioned yet, and the three there aren't even half full.

This excites me. Might be time to pop the Latitude cherry. 

And do give The National a go! They're worth it. Start with High Violet.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

This excites me. Might be time to pop the Latitude cherry. 

- You, every year.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

And do give The National a go! They're worth it. Start with High Violet.

I wus told to start with the most recent, work backwards and don't bother with the first two. Is that god advice?

2 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

- You, every year.

I wus told to start with the most recent, work backwards and don't bother with the first two. Is that god advice?

Ha, this is true. But I usually have a Glastonbury ticket - I can't afford multiple festivals like you youngsters seem to! - so this year I might actually do it. It's the LCD Soundsystem possibility that's making me pause. And Radiohead, but that dream seems dead. 

I love all the albums, but I wouldn't say TWFM is the most accessible as it's a bit slow and reflective. I'd go Alligator or High Violet, personally. But yeah, don't bother with the first two. 

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

22 hours ago, aj3000and12 said:

I know two of them for sure. And they have been mentioned frequently. 

The other, is pretty obvious, but I'm not 100% sure on.

IMO 100% don't do this. Start with Alligator, Boxer or High Violet. For me TWFM lost a lot of personality that the previous albums have, when I listen to them it's like living in New York. But with TWFM it just seemed like they were making an album to take it to the next level money wise, I feel like if you start with the stadium rock album it might ruin them as a band a bit. Not that there aren't good songs on TWFM, it just doesn't have the same real life vibe that Boxer and Alligator have.   

6 minutes ago, dirty_dog said:

High Violet is probably the easiest to get into and then maybe the latest, 

took me ages to get into this band but worth it as I'm a bit obsessed now

Yeah it wasn't instant for me either, but once it clicked it really clicked. I'd love to see them this year. I think I went Boxer, High Violet, Alligator, TWFM... I love them all depending on my mood. 

Just now, Rock_and/or_Roll said:

Why is no one rating Sad Songs? Has some great tracks; Murder Me Rachael, Cardinal Song, Available etc. High Violet, whilst still a great album, is one of their worst in my opinion. 

Oh I don't mind Sad Songs, but it's not an album to convert a newcomer. Available in particular is great.

High Violet is a masterpiece in my eyes!

12 hours ago, Jacko45 said:

Totally agree, British Sea Power on the mainstage? Really?

Lots seem happy so I won't bang on about it too much, just looks pretty which in comparison to lots of festivals this summer. 

I'm still incredibly excited. 

I think BSP are the band that's played the most Latitudes (behind Wild Beasts maybe?) so they go everywhere.

4 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

- You, every year.

No. Bad advice imo. High Violet and Boxer are the two easiest starting points. If you like Boxer, go to Alligator - bit more angsty. I can't imagine the newest one is very gripping for non fans.