Latitude 2016

Amy Lawn

On 2/24/2016 at 1:23 PM, glasto-worker said:

well I would agree that Melvin { we actually know each other as he used to work for the wbc in the early years } does appear to have got it right - he gets involved in every aspect of the event .

here is a shot looking the other way - as you can see the path was kept clear - in the distance { on the right } is the press/guest entry point.

I have Prostate Cancer and one of the treatments that did not work has side effects that still bother me to this day - it makes me overheat so for me it is vital that I get the tent into a area with good shade hence why I was tucked away nearest the trees.

since then I have had Radiotherapy and that has reduced the cancer but I am still caught out by the drug side effects.

My Consultant thinks I am crazy to camp but as its all plotted out in advance the wbc will make sure that spot is reserved for me this year.

I now work for Production so I am not working in any public bar but I know from previous years when I did work at the main bars that the customers caused a lot less problems than any other festival I worked at.

Latitude reminds me of a early Glastonbury before it expanded into a huge town. 

P1010360.jpg

Wow my father went through very similar things during his treatment for throat cancer, he now after 2 years of recovery is only feeling one side effect and that's lack of saliva making eating difficult. Massive respect to you still doing the things you love and camping (maybe your consultant wouldn't agree with me hehe) 

Interesting to hear your comments regards Glastonbury, I am a complete novice festival goer compared to you by the looks! Only 8 festivals for me so far. Would you say that your opinion has changed on Glastonbury due to its spectacular growth? Maybe lost a little passion for it?

I must say what attracted me to Latitude was people constantly saying it's a very small Glastonbury. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, tillyandthewall said:

The Deer Shed Festival (week after Lats) has a lot of acts who could definitely be part of the undercard (especially the headliners).  Hell, if they don't pick up a lot of that lineup I might go there the week after...

Lanterns On The Lake belong at Latitude.

20 hours ago, Jacko45 said:

Wow my father went through very similar things during his treatment for throat cancer, he now after 2 years of recovery is only feeling one side effect and that's lack of saliva making eating difficult. Massive respect to you still doing the things you love and camping (maybe your consultant wouldn't agree with me hehe) 

Interesting to hear your comments regards Glastonbury, I am a complete novice festival goer compared to you by the looks! Only 8 festivals for me so far. Would you say that your opinion has changed on Glastonbury due to its spectacular growth? Maybe lost a little passion for it?

I must say what attracted me to Latitude was people constantly saying it's a very small Glastonbury. 

Hope your father fully recovers.

The actual implant that caused problems is a special time releasing drug that was only supposed to last six months - its still active years later ' and they cant switch it off ' - Overheating can cause blackouts - and it can happen at any time - even when its very cold - first time I was walking in the snow and everything went white and I fainted - completely unexpected - I now know when its about to kick in and how to control it - they reckon I am one of the unlucky ones and they now predict its likely it will remain active for another 3 years.

just to really wind me up I now have peripheral arterial disease {PAD} so I cant walk far - its like a blowtorch on my leg muscle and a few years ago it was so bad I was unable to stand - the wbc wanted me to go home but I have never gone off sick so I kept to my shifts but had to serve while sitting down.

Since then its got a bit better as I take drugs and as long as I walk dead slowly { about 1/4 of a normal walker } the spasms stay away.

people who don't know me do look at me funny as I walk past them in slow motion.

So its more for health reasons why I don't like the vast expanse of Glastonbury - I do get a electric buggy down to the interstage area so I can reach the Bread and Roses but until its cured I just cant walk about the way I used to .

at Latitude I can get a electric buggy to anywhere { although there is restrictions when they can be used } and with the staff car park being so close to our camp it makes life a lot easier + my Team helps me so they move all my bags - without their help I would not be able to work at any festival.

My Consultant is confident that as long as I keep taking the drugs I should be ' PAD Free ' in three years - time will tell .

this image shows my cleared camping spot - the only reason why I am leaning on the fence is because I could not stand up and I am in extreme pain.

you may wonder why I wasted time to get that shot taken - each year when people pack up they leave their camping area in a right mess so I always take a shot just to prove that I don't leave a mess.

I had thought I had twisted a muscle so at that time I had not even been to my GP - it just was crippling me and in the end I did go and ended up with a Consultant who I still see - had all the tests and have been on drugs ever since then.I am the only patient he has who is still able to walk - all the rest are in wheelchairs so in one way I am lucky I am still able to move about.

028.jpg

17 hours ago, tillyandthewall said:

The Deer Shed Festival (week after Lats) has a lot of acts whoactivitiesinitely be part of the undercard (especially the headliners).  Hell, if they don't pick up a lot of that lineup I might go there the week after...

Deer shed is ace if you've got kids. Like you say a mini latitude but with more emphasis on kid's activitied. with hawleY, calvi and everYthing everyThing it's going to be immense. Best fest in the north east.

16 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Is there actually information that says that the headliners are the Maccabees, the national and massive attack?

because now Radiohead aren't headlining Glastonbury I think they probably are doing this

Or alternatively Radiohead have chosen not to do any UK festivals & will just do their own tour later in the year. Much like they did in 2012. 

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Is there actually information that says that the headliners are the Maccabees, the national and massive attack?

because now Radiohead aren't headlining Glastonbury I think they probably are doing this

As Frankly said, there's nothing to say Radiohead will do a UK festival. They might never do a UK festival again actually; they seem to make too enough money in this country doing their own gigs.

Pretty sure The National was a name heard by @Divein and also the Longitude thing. The Maccabees indicated they are headlining a UK festival at the NME awards and Melvin said one of the headliners played R+L '15 so that looks strongest of all. Massive Attack is just an act without an obvious UK festival other than Latitude and are bringing a new thing to festivals so makes some sense, however there's nothing like the other acts linking them with it. I think it'll be Lana instead of them.

2 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Hmm, I don't see New Order and Massive Attack headlining the same bill.

I can't see any reason why not, especially this year where every fest seems to be struggling to make great bookings. IMHO, while Massive Attack, Maccas and New Order might not be the best trio they've ever had, it sets Latitude ahead of the rest of the pack.

5 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I can't see any reason why not, especially this year where every fest seems to be struggling to make great bookings. IMHO, while Massive Attack, Maccas and New Order might not be the best trio they've ever had, it sets Latitude ahead of the rest of the pack.

But judging from the potential headliners knocking about, I don't think Latitude will struggle to put together a strong line-up at the top (the bottom is always excellent). I just think that New Order and Massive Attack probably share quite a large crossover fanbase, which seems to me to not be that wise an idea. That being said, I also think The National and The Maccabees have quite a lot of crossover too, so I'm still not sold on that, either.

New Order / The Maccabees / Lana Del Ray - of whom I have been convinced thanks to Dentalplan - seems like a strong and diverse trio. NO can be exchange for MA and The Maccabees for The National and there's still a good amount of diversity. I dunno. That's just how I'm seeing it.

I reckon NO and Massive Attack are similar in fanbase, but it's a fanbase Latitude will be shooting for. There's too much pointing to Maccas and Massive Attack for it not to be them. Lana's a good shout, but it's not really based on anything, I don't think this is the first we've heard of somebody saying New Order so I'm inclined to go more with that. I will say that LDR is headlining a Canadian fest the weekend after and a Russian fest the week before, if Latitude have made a nice offer then I could see her coming over to headline. I do think that both New Order and Massive Attack both appeal to middle-aged 6Music listeners who will bring kids, and people in their 20s with slightly wider music tastes than your average pop picker, I think that's their market.

It's hard to guess, really. I think you're right with the demographic, but that being said, there are so many teenagers knocking about that they can't not appeal to them. This is why someone like Noel Gallagher was a good headliner (on paper). I think LDR hits that split down the middle so perfectly, and now that the seed has been planted, it seems too good a fit.

Regardless, I'm excited for this announcement! It has the potential to be thoroughly excellent, and it's testament to Latitude that there's a variety of great acts who would all be comfortable on the lineup. As R&L is rapidly... going down the road it's going down - Latitude has done a cracking job of emerging from it's big brothers' shadow.

9 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I reckon NO and Massive Attack are similar in fanbase, but it's a fanbase Latitude will be shooting for. There's too much pointing to Maccas and Massive Attack for it not to be them. Lana's a good shout, but it's not really based on anything, I don't think this is the first we've heard of somebody saying New Order so I'm inclined to go more with that. I will say that LDR is headlining a Canadian fest the weekend after and a Russian fest the week before, if Latitude have made a nice offer then I could see her coming over to headline. I do think that both New Order and Massive Attack both appeal to middle-aged 6Music listeners who will bring kids, and people in their 20s with slightly wider music tastes than your average pop picker, I think that's their market.

Surely if you take out opinions and such; Massive Attack and Lana Del Rey have the same thing going for them - touring around the festival - and nothing more? Nobody has come along like with The National and now New Order and said they'd heard they're playing.

If the pool of acts is how we're imagining, though, it's likely to be a very good set of headliners this year. I'm wary of someone coming in and ruining the party.

14 hours ago, DixieDean said:

Have very good info that New Order will be one of the headliners. Interesting.... 

Sounds good if it's true, As the announcement is this week I think it will have been briefed out a bit wider.

I would be happy with New Order, they were great in 2005 at Glasto. 

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 8:11 PM, dentalplan said:

Pretty sure The National was a name heard by @Divein 

I missed this, when was that?  It is reassuring if there is a rumour to back up the speculation.

12 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

II do think that both New Order and Massive Attack both appeal to middle-aged 6Music listeners who will bring kids,

...or 35 year old ones that leave their kids with their grandparents for the weekend...like me : )