Latitude 2016

Amy Lawn

So,

2013 Longitude & Latitude shared 1 headliner - Kraftwerk

2014 Longitude & Latitude shared no headliners

2015 Longitude & Latitude shared 1 headliner - Alt-J

So if you were an optimistic fan of The National (is there any other type : ) ) you could say that more often than not, there is one shared headliner....Or you could say that there is no real pattern. 

I'm not sure that I agree that Major Lazer wouldn't be a fit for Latitude, they could be a possibility, albeit far less likely, I wouldn't rule them out completely.  Put it one way, I still remember Grace Jones being announced.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was pretty incredible. grace jones got the brunt of the abuse but i think it was the fact she was headlining alongside the pet shop boys and nick cave that led to the overall outrage, especially from younger fans of the festival. obviously nick cave is one of the greatest people to have ever graced the planet and i'd have him at the festival every year if possible but it did feel as if the festival was trying somewhat to change the demographic that year and target an older crowd. it clearly didnt last though as the following year they went with arguably their most under 30 targeted lineup ever with florence and the machine and vampire weekend headlining.

1 hour ago, mercury said:

last shadow puppets have just become potentially more likely with a run of mid july uk tour dates announced ending with a show in london on friday 15th july. could be a sat or sun headliner?

I saw that too, I originally thought back in Nov that Last Shadow Puppets would be a Headliner and there was a conversation about whether they are main stage headliners or 6 music headliners.

It's a tough call because they are playing Ally Pally which is a pretty big venue, however, Vaccines had played The O2 but were still 6 Music headliners + they were on album 3.

I think it looks likely that they will be there though.  Latitude and probably also Glastonbury.

In the spirit of conversation, rather than thinking that they will actually be playing either this year (or ever) does anyone have a view on whether either The Strokes could ever play latitude?

I know they are the sort of band who play Reading & BST but it feels like their stock is slightly  lower than it once was.  They seem to prefer to do lower key album releases and just a few festival dates nowadays.

I've seen them a few times and they have always been great live, I would love to see the at Latitude.  I was kinda surprised that Julian Casablancas (either with or without the Voidz) hasn't swung by at some point over the years.

Just now, glimmers_of_hope said:

In the spirit of conversation, rather than thinking that they will actually be playing either this year (or ever) does anyone have a view on whether either The Strokes could ever play latitude?

I know they are the sort of band who play Reading & BST but it feels like their stock is slightly  lower than it once was.  They seem to prefer to do lower key album releases and just a few festival dates nowadays.

I've seen them a few times and they have always been great live, I would love to see the at Latitude.  I was kinda surprised that Julian Casablancas (either with or without the Voidz) hasn't swung by at some point over the years.

I doubt it.

My take is that they like to think of themselves as more important than they are, and Latitude only spunks big money on its headliners while the rest of the bill falls away very quickly compared to other fests.

And I don't think they'd be booked as headliners because they're mostly a nothing band to most people nowadays, and I don;'t think the budget for acts below headliner would stretch to them.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I doubt it.

My take is that they like to think of themselves as more important than they are, and Latitude only spunks big money on its headliners while the rest of the bill falls away very quickly compared to other fests.

And I don't think they'd be booked as headliners because they're mostly a nothing band to most people nowadays, and I don;'t think the budget for acts below headliner would stretch to them.

Sorry I probably didn't articulate myself very well, I meant as a headliner but not this year, in the future sometime.  But yeah I know what you mean, the subs are usually much smaller.

1 minute ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Sorry I probably didn't articulate myself very well, I meant as a headliner but not this year, in the future sometime.  But yeah I know what you mean, the subs are usually much smaller.

as a headliner they'd be a meaningless band to most people.

A brief bit of big popularity 15 years ago was a very long time ago.

25 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

as a headliner they'd be a meaningless band to most people.

A brief bit of big popularity 15 years ago was a very long time ago.

think you're underestimating them a bit. this is pretty much how i feel about them, but to a lot of people they're still a huge deal and that first album is still something of a masterstroke. headlined BST last year so i think they could still easily headline a smaller fest like Latitude and it would sell well if it was their only UK date of the year

Strokes could headline, they're alarmly popular, 16 years after their quite good debut albums and subsequent alright to utterly shit albums. Their set at Leeds in 2011 is possibly the worst live performance I've ever seen, such an infinitesimally small amount of effort was put in, they just didn't give a shit.

51 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Strokes could headline, they're alarmly popular, 16 years after their quite good debut albums and subsequent alright to utterly shit albums. Their set at Leeds in 2011 is possibly the worst live performance I've ever seen, such an infinitesimally small amount of effort was put in, they just didn't give a shit.

exactly the same as when i saw them at Primavera - there to pick up a cheque and fuck off. many of them have said in various interviews that they're not particularly arsed about the band anymore, so it must just be the occasional big money offer to perform live that's keeping them going

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

exactly the same as when i saw them at Primavera - there to pick up a cheque and fuck off. many of them have said in various interviews that they're not particularly arsed about the band anymore, so it must just be the occasional big money offer to perform live that's keeping them going

I've never understood this perception (yes, profile pic bias). I thought they sounded pretty great at Primavera, incredibly tight as a band, and Julian's voice was strong if occasionally questionable. I don't understand the whole "can't be arsed" thing, yeah they aren't stage-diving but that kinda goes against their effortless cool thing anyway. Personally, as long as they are sound great I don't really care if Julian is asking the crowd if they are having a nice day, or whatever. 

p.s. their show at Landmark Fest a few months ago had Julian sounding better than he did at PS, as well as wayyy more interaction if that is what you want.

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 2:04 AM, tillyandthewall said:

Anyway, Major Lazer have been announced for Bestival.  They've never shared a headliner with Latitude so it's fair to rule them out.

Excellent.  I'm quite astonished that Major Lazer are headline material anywhere.  I would have been disappointed if they were headlining Lats.