Tylcer, The Creator was refused entry into the UK because of his lyrics

Isnt the strange thing with this that it took so long for them to ban him? Seems odd to call him out years down the line.

That's partly my point, why the last minute change, what's different to May?

Well why would they think there's a danger? He was only just in the country in may, and has been many times before

I think it's pretty obvious that the people making these types of decisions aren't exactly on the ball and therefore could be picking up on this information years after it may have happened (while simultaneously being unaware of any remorse or regret that may or may not have been shown).

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I trust you don't believe - just as I don't believe - that Patti Smith should be banned from the country for Rock N Roll Nigger? Sure she'd say it's not racist but words have connotations, lager, cider, reactions, etc.

You're being facetious and you know you are. Trying to be all cute and evasive about homophobia is outrageously offensive. The issue of him allegedly being denied access to the country aside, you can't say his lyrics aren't homophobic. I'm undecided on whether the homophobia is serious, or if he's doing it specifically so he can do this thing where he's been outrageous, then tries to use little loopholes to deny it. Pretty much mooning everybody who is, quite rightly offended by it, "Oh, you're offended by my homophobia? Well, I didn't mean anything homophobic by it, so maybe you should just stop being so uptight about it all". That's so much worse in my opinion, a talentless skidmark who knows he's being offensive, yet tries to be smug about it. This is his fucking comeuppance, maybe it is a bit heavy handed, but I don't care because the ends justify the means. It's tragic that he makes a living off this shit, but for a little bit I feel proud that my country's told him he's not pulling that shit here.

Don't see how it was facetious to compare one artist using offensive words in an inoffensive manner to shock people to another using offensive words that he says are in an inoffensive manner to shock people. He uses 'faggot' to describe some sort of cowardly person, as many American kids do. He calls himself one, his dad one, his fans ones and his friends ones so I would still maintain it's not used as homophobia, nevertheless it's still juvenile. Plus as Yellow pointed out, he had a couple of his collective being gay to his knowledge when he made those songs and them even working on them. I don't think I'm even 'fanboying' here because I'm not a massive fan of his stuff (he's okay) but I just don't think he's a homophobe.

And yes, Odd Future started out as a foul mouthed group of rappers trying to shock people with their language, and - not trying to diminish your argument or anything - but I can only imagine you haven't really listened to much of the guy if your main issue is his homophobia when there is so much more fucked up shit he's rapping about on his earlier releases. 

Thankfully, he's moved away from doing that stuff and they've all distanced themselves from it and not "making a living off of that shit" anymore but it does really seem to me he's been retroactively scapegoated here. I'm pretty sure Young Thug, who played today, still has gun charges hanging over his head and if we're talking homophobia then one of the Bloodstock headliners last year, Emperor, has a drummer who went to prison for killing a gay man and was fine to play the festival so banning Tyler - and this late - is just clearly making rules up as they go along.

yeah, let's let the robbers off cos there's murderers out there. :rolleyes:

If he's over-stepped the UK's hate laws then he's been rightfully nailed.

The robbers should not be let off, but if there were other clearly identified confirmed robbers walking around freely, people would ask why they have arrested one robber and ignored the others.

The robbers should not be let off, but if there were other clearly identified confirmed robbers walking around freely, people would ask why they have arrested one robber and ignored the others.

I don't think anyone's doubting that, but the fact they're shit at their job and only catch sporadic offenders who probably aren't even the worse ones doesn't mean those that are pulled up should be excused.

But they're only "clearly identified" when someone has grassed them up to the old bill, or similar.

The old bill don't suddenly gain the knowledge via telepathy. There's a time before the knowledge, and a time after.

But yeah, let's give the homophobes a platform when we don't have to. That'll make the world so much better. ;)

It'd be easy to list hundreds of artists that could be accused of inciting hatred or have criminal records. This seems far more like its about sending a message generally and not about Tylor. Its just riding the media attention around the Australian petition against him. He's just famous enough to draw attention to a subject ala Chris Brown, Snoop and the PUA twat.

It'd be easy to list hundreds of artists that could be accused of inciting hatred or have criminal records. This seems far more like its about sending a message generally and not about Tylor. Its just riding the media attention around the Australian petition against him. He's just famous enough to draw attention to a subject ala Chris Brown, Snoop and the PUA twat.

But he's still presumably exceeded what the UK's anti-hate-laws permit.

Anyone care to justify why the UK should let in people like that by default? ;)

yeah, let's let the robbers off cos there's murderers out there. :rolleyes:

If he's over-stepped the UK's hate laws then he's been rightfully nailed.

So when the next time Nick Cave comes to the UK should we ban him too?

I’ll stay here till Billy comes in, till time comes to pass/And furthermore I’ll fuck billy in his motherfucking ass/I’m a bad motherfucker, don’t you know/And I’ll crawl over fifty good pussies just to get one fat boy’s asshole/Yeah you better get down on your knees and suck my dick, because if you don’t you’re gonna be dead/Billy dropped down and slobbered on his head and Stag filled him full of lead.

Anyone wanna justify why they shouldn't?

2782075-5348157470-10996.jpg

Edited by justanothername

I don't think laws should be applied selectively, it is inherently discriminatory.

Do you really think they are being? :blink:

Some who break a law get caught while some don't. That doesn't get to mean we should abandon all attempts at following laws and following thru on laws.

Do you really think there's some bloke somewhere who sat down one day and thought "I really hate that Tyler, let's fuck him up"? :lol:

Again, it's more the fact Tyler has a history of violent warcries, encouraging stage invasions and inciting riots than the perceived homophobia or else surely they'd just pull his records from the shelves instead? Odd Future were painted up as a violent youth movement for a couple of years at the start of the decade - and were even featured on Newsnight - and that's probably where the Home Office is sourcing their data from.

Edited by dentalplan

Do you really think they are being? :blink:

Some who break a law get caught while some don't. That doesn't get to mean we should abandon all attempts at following laws and following thru on laws.

Do you really think there's some bloke somewhere who sat down one day and thought "I really hate that Tyler, let's fuck him up"? :lol:

Its institutional racism. He's been singled out as an example, it just happens he is black. Its not the cause of him being singled out but its disproportionately affecting black artists.

Thats the thing, its easy to pick out far more people with offensive lyrics where its never been enforced. Just look at Dragonforce's history.. Why not ban Slayer for singing about the holocaust?