Secret Sets

winterval

Despite having been to EOTR five times, I've never caught any "secret sets". I guess because they're usually at midnight-ish and by then I've had a few hot ciders and can't tear myself away from the outside disco...

But have any of you seen any good secret gigs at EOTR? And how did you hear about them? I'm determined to find one this year! 

Someone on the facebooks last year had 'leaked' all the 'secret' sets that were planned (if that makes sense). It were very accurate. SO.....fingers crossed someone does the same again this year.....otherwise, its a case of 'following' the artists twits feed or facebooks for an announcement. Or look out for a hand written notice (usually around the woods). OR.....just hang out at the piano or boat dancefloor thingy....

A link (its on page 11, in post #211) : http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/187511-stage-and-day-splits/page-11 

Edited by retromoz

I think one place to look out for "surprise sets" will also be the Rough Trade tent this year. Although I am guessing somewhat. I think I read that the Rough Trade tent will be bigger this year and I know they hosted Calexico amongst others in there at Green Man last weekend. So maybe we'll get a few sets in there this year.

The big secret set this year was Fat White Family playing in the wee hours Saturday night after their main set. Four songs in, one of them threw their guitar at the stage manager who had to be rushed to the medics tent, therefore forcing the set to be cut extremely short. 

Understandably, a lot of the crowd were annoyed and jumped on stage. I heard through a mix of people that security were a bit brutal with these people which ruined a few people's evenings unfortunately. 

On the topic of secret sets, The Flaming Lips were due to do one in the woods area last year but cancelled right after their headline set because they thought it was an insult that the sound of The Woods stage was so bad  :sarcastic: (I know this to be true as I was told it by one of the production managers)

All the Line Of Best Fit ones were tweeted by @PaulBestFit a short while before. I had limited data reception though so didn't really keep up. Saw a little of the This Is The Kit one at the disco yesterday lunchtime but it was hard to hear so I moved on. I'm not sure how much those are really for the audience and how much they are for promotion/photo opportunities etc (or is that too cynical?). 

Do we have the full Tipi list? Always enjoy those.

Friday

?? (saw a bit, wasn't sure who)

Saturday

Think it was:

Ex Hex

Fat White Family

The Voyeurs

Sunday

Wand

Hinds

Was amusing watching security try to manage Mac DeMarco's lot stage-diving / crowd-surfing during Hinds. Whenever they tried to get back to the stage security pushed them away, thus making the whole thing last much longer!