"festivaling" or "festivalling"?

eFestivals

At the top of the page if you're using the full skin is the efestivals logo, and the words "the definite guide to festivaling".

It's been said by many people over the years that 'festivaling' should have two L's and be 'festivalling' instead.

At some point in the hopefully not-to-distant future they'll be a new logo, which may or may not contain the same words. If they do contain the same words, I want to get it right.

So should it be 'festivaling' or 'festivalling', and why?

I was told one 'l' is an Americanism like 'canceling/canceled' or 'traveling/traveled' whereas we would say differently, and as you have on the homepage. :P

I'm not entirely sure that Americanisms has come up before as a reason, so thanks for that. :)

When it's been raised in the past lots of people have said two L's is convention, but I've been able to find a number of common examples of just one (not that I can think of any right now) in UK-use - and Americanisms could be why, if the words are being used for came-from-America things.

Next time I do see one L used I'll run that idea over it..

"Festivalling" is the etymologically correct spelling.

Well it's not, because there is no meaningful history to the use of the word.

(there were sod all examples within google when that line first got used here. The very first thing I did was google both versions).

UK convention certainly suggests two L's would be correct as that's the more common UK usage but it's not exclusive.

Edited by eFestivals

Well it's not, because there is no meaningful history to the use of the word.

(there were sod all examples within google when that line first got used here. The very first thing I did was google both versions).

UK convention certainly suggests two L's would be correct as that's the more common UK usage but it's not exclusive.

In which case it would seem you will be helping to create an etymological trace for the word, thus contributing to its use and therefore history. After all, it is traditionally the spoken word that eventually dictates the final spelling in the OED or similar (unless its a technical term or something like that), rather than the other way round.

In which case, if I started with one L then surely I should continue with it?

To me if it has one "l" I would pronounce it to rhyme with whaling which doesn't seem right.

Maybe change it to festivalication...

Just kidding.

It's 2 LL's from me

I say voting buttons.

Edited by LJS

You built this site to the monster it is today on just one L, think of what you could achieve with two! ... Although, maybe a second L would be too decadent, maybe it'd be the beginning of the end, we don't want to fly too close to the sun. I say stick with one.

You built this site to the monster it is today on just one L, think of what you could achieve with two! ... Although, maybe a second L would be too decadent, maybe it'd be the beginning of the end, we don't want to fly too close to the sun. I say stick with one.

The rise & Fall (or fal) of the eFest empire.

In Wales we're used to doubling up letters.  A leading figure in the Welsh Language Society was Ffred Ffrancis and loads of places begin with Ll (as in Llangollen or LlanfairPG), so I'd be comfortable with festivalling - or even Ffestivalling.

Same logic as travelling, cancelling, etc 

It would only be logic if it was 100% consistent in UK use. It's not. Convention, yes. Logic, no.

But actually, so far I'm most taken with this suggestion:-

Really could just say "The definitive guide to festivals".

The "The definitive guide to festivaling" wording wasn't mine. If I'd have thought up something like that then I suspect I would probably have come up with Lawn's suggestion.

It would only be logic if it was 100% consistent in UK use. It's not. Convention, yes. Logic, no.

But actually, so far I'm most taken with this suggestion:-

The "The definitive guide to festivaling" wording wasn't mine. If I'd have thought up something like that then I suspect I would probably have come up with Lawn's suggestion.

It is better because the main site is largely around the noun of the festivals, not the verb of going to the festival.