Bringing in Alcohol

poohead28

Ok 17 year old here....

Me and a few friends are going to reading for the first time.

We are bringing some spirits and beers with us and plan to hide it in our sleeping bags, clothes etc.

What are the chances of us being searched?

And if so what would be the consequences?

Effectively what is the best way to bring alcohol in, and is it likely it will be confiscated upon entry to camping zones

Searches on entry with backpacks are random, but if they do search one of you they will take everything out of your bag. 4 years in a row and me and five mates have never been searched (I'm 23 now). If you don't know anyone with ID then they'll be confiscated and you'll be warned. Try again and they'll take your wristband.

Never seen alcohol be confiscated once on site if I'm honest. Could be worth trying to ask if someone will carry in for you in exchange for a couple of beers - although this is illegal and when caught consequences are much more severe.

You can have a great time without the drink anyway, believe me :)

Lol jake...

Yeh not gonna keep it in glass.

Anyone know how extensive the searches are? Like will they literally empty out the bag and open stuff up?

Secondly.

Say they find my alcohol, what are the consequences.

If they want to search you, they'll either rummage through it or empty it. Depends how suspicious you look.

Consequences are they'll nick whatever booze you have. Highly unlikely though - and I wouldn't worry about it.

If they search you they will confiscate any alcohol in glass bottles.

If you are underage or old enough but don't have ID then if you get searched they will confiscate your alcohol.

The things they look for when doing bag searches are drugs, glass bottles, gas canisters and other forbidden items.

Just Reread and seen you are 17, if you have a mate over 18 then get him to carry the alcohol, otherwise it is pot luck. 

I entered Reading alone a few years ago when 16 and was unllucky enough to have my bag checked. He unpacked majority of it on the side before looking up and asking 'Okay, be honest, have you got anything in here?'. I owned up to my two litres of magners in plastic bottles and he said that's fine and let me through. I guess I got lucky with that guy!

• 4 months later...

Went this year, 16 with  5 friends, we all got through apart from the smallest kid, so I guess size matters. They looked in absolutely everything, I mean this literally, sleeping bag opened, clothes unfolded, bottom of shoes, smelt tasted all liquids, he had 2 litres of vodka taken, but we had enough to cover him. We entered when not many people were coming in, so a search on one of us was always going to happen. If you go a busy time you should be alright, if you do get searched god isn't on your side. 

Went with a group of about 10 friends when we were all 16, none of us were searched going into the camping area. However nearly all bags are searched going into the arena where the music is, one of my friends was caught with booze in their bag, security just said we had to either drink it there and then or take it back to our tent before going into the arena.