Best Kept Secret Festival 2016

spudling

Yes, he is headliner. I don't get it, too - but I'm not dutch and have no idea how popular he is over there. I guess the promoters had major problems getting a serious headliner. A lot of other possible headliner are booked by Mojo (which is the competitor of the BKS promoter) and also the timing might not have been perfect for several bands.

My favorite and quite realistic headliner would have been PJ Harvey, The Last Shadow Puppets, Brian Wilson, Massive Attack or Air (I even would have been happy with Foals, Tame Impala or Suede), but it didn't happen and we get a DJ as headliner instead (and not one with a very good "live"-set). But I'm usually not that interested in headliners anyway - it's just what sells the tickets.

Edited by mellowmaniac

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MOJO (the Dutch branch of Live Nation) has indeed stated implicitely that they want to get Best Kept Secret out of the market. So they're doing their utter best to keep the good names and visitors away from BKS. Best example is starting Down The Rabbit Hole, with the exact same format as BKS, and placing it barely one week later. 

From what I've heard BKS is having an increase in capacity this year. So I figure they just went for whatever big (alternative) hype they could still get in order to save the day ticket sales. Even if Wilco or Beach House would indeed make better headliners for this festival.

7 hours ago, yaniv297 said:

I don't even understand how Jamie XX is a better seller than Beach House... but still.

And Wilco are pretty much an alternative legend, aren't they? Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is a stone cold classic...

Jamie XX has far more radio airplay and chart succes + he has that The XX legacy backing him up for credit.

But I fully agree. Headlining a mid-sized festival with a plain old DJ set (not even a special light show or anything) is pretty weak. 

13 hours ago, Dietediet said:

New batch of names tomorrow.

Air • Minor Victories • Mount Kimbie (dj set) • Roman Flügel • Antal • Audacity • bewilder • Black Box Revelation • Empress Of • Fat White Family • Jameszoo (dj set) • Kelvin Jones • Mystery Jets • Nozinja • Palmbomen II (live) • Pional (live) • Psychic Ills • Ulrika Spacek • Woodie Smalls

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
18 hours ago, Harry49 said:

I am thinking of going in 2017, any reviews or thoughts from those who attended this year would be welcome.

thanks

I went for the first time last year and absolutely loved it. Very laid back feel to it. The site isnt massive but it never once felt too crowded. The scheduling of bands not overlapping on the main stage and biggest tent (stage 2) worked really well.

We got the train from Amsterdam and then a shuttle bus from Tilburg which was easy. The camping was very good, although it is separate to the arena and bit of a walk (20 mins maybe so not too much).

The food was great, people were really friendly and the line up suited my taste. I would say food / drinks prices were pretty similar to a UK festival. 

We did it this year as didn't try and get Glasto tickets. We are going to try for Glasto this year but if we dont get them I think a return to BKS could be on the cards. I dont think I could handle both of them as you would more or less be going straight from BKS to Glastonbury (assuming they are on the same weekends again next year, I haven't checked though

2 hours ago, arteet said:

I went for the first time last year and absolutely loved it. Very laid back feel to it. The site isnt massive but it never once felt too crowded. The scheduling of bands not overlapping on the main stage and biggest tent (stage 2) worked really well.

We got the train from Amsterdam and then a shuttle bus from Tilburg which was easy. The camping was very good, although it is separate to the arena and bit of a walk (20 mins maybe so not too much).

The food was great, people were really friendly and the line up suited my taste. I would say food / drinks prices were pretty similar to a UK festival. 

We did it this year as didn't try and get Glasto tickets. We are going to try for Glasto this year but if we dont get them I think a return to BKS could be on the cards. I dont think I could handle both of them as you would more or less be going straight from BKS to Glastonbury (assuming they are on the same weekends again next year, I haven't checked though

Thanks for the feedback.

Its good to hear a first hand positive view to back up what I have read about the festival.

I will be trying for Glasto tickets but now have BKS as my first choice substitute if tickets prove elusive. 

Do you know how quickly the tickets sold out last year, do you think I would have to book before resale glasto ticket option has passed? Beginning of April.

Yeah, festivals tickets shouldn't be a problem if you left it til April. However the cost of getting there might have risen a fair bit if you're planning on flying and leave it til then to book. 

We did a night before and two nights after a camping site 10mins away from the centre of Amsterdam which was great too.