Jcatley

Hi 

@watsonjm I think it's what you make of it - see it for what it is - and get on and enjoy yourself. I've done a bunch of Glastonburys (before and after the super fence) and smaller festivals which I have taken my kids to. So I know what else is out there - and I know where V falls short of a "proper" festival. But I keep going because I always have a fab time, always get to see an eclectic selection of some big bands perform their big hits, and often discover a new band or music genre. Leaving and arriving by shuttle bus is a total doddle, and compared to Glasto you can easily walk between stages and catch a good chnuk of both bands if they are clashing.   It was great to have virtually the whole arena open on Friday night and the Radio One entertainment on the MTV stage. I found some tasty food that was well worth £7 - you just have to shop around. If you use the loos when everyone else isn't - then you needn't queue and I always found them clean. I found the security staff totally reasonable and courteous - and they actually did a great job of keeping us all safe. Sad sign of the times that you have to go through airport like metal detector security to get into the arena - but it was also reassuring that the festival had taken this precaution , and must have added some expense to their running costs. Corporate as it was - who doesn't like free bars of Cadburys chocolate or a copious free supply of Weetabix energy drinks?!!  I think V may have lost its identity the last few years, and the falling numbers have proved that. I was surprised they continued at all after 2015. But it seems that they have firmly positioned themselves as the chart pop festival for kids - with some old favourites for the parents (or uncles!) accompanying the kids. Hope next year has the same happy vibe - I will be getting my early bird ticket! Personally  I wouldn't want to take my 12 year old and 10 year old kids though - there are definitely more suitable festivals for them out there. They may not quite be ready for some of the sights I encountered..... :)

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, festy-dancer said:

Hi 

@watsonjm I think it's what you make of it - see it for what it is - and get on and enjoy yourself. I've done a bunch of Glastonburys (before and after the super fence) and smaller festivals which I have taken my kids to. So I know what else is out there - and I know where V falls short of a "proper" festival. But I keep going because I always have a fab time, always get to see an eclectic selection of some big bands perform their big hits, and often discover a new band or music genre. Leaving and arriving by shuttle bus is a total doddle, and compared to Glasto you can easily walk between stages and catch a good chnuk of both bands if they are clashing.   It was great to have virtually the whole arena open on Friday night and the Radio One entertainment on the MTV stage. I found some tasty food that was well worth £7 - you just have to shop around. If you use the loos when everyone else isn't - then you needn't queue and I always found them clean. I found the security staff totally reasonable and courteous - and they actually did a great job of keeping us all safe. Sad sign of the times that you have to go through airport like metal detector security to get into the arena - but it was also reassuring that the festival had taken this precaution , and must have added some expense to their running costs. Corporate as it was - who doesn't like free bars of Cadburys chocolate or a copious free supply of Weetabix energy drinks?!!  I think V may have lost its identity the last few years, and the falling numbers have proved that. I was surprised they continued at all after 2015. But it seems that they have firmly positioned themselves as the chart pop festival for kids - with some old favourites for the parents (or uncles!) accompanying the kids. Hope next year has the same happy vibe - I will be getting my early bird ticket! Personally  I wouldn't want to take my 12 year old and 10 year old kids though - there are definitely more suitable festivals for them out there. They may not quite be ready for some of the sights I encountered..... :)

Pretty much how I feel about the whole thing.  I'd forgotten about the MTV stage being open on Friday.  Not my bag music wise but could be the first toe in for more on the Fridays which is a good thing.  Loo's i thought were the best they've been in years.  Especially in the arena where, for the first time in my memory, they had split men and women with security at each and cleaners there all the time directing people to empty loo's and re filling loo roll and hand gel.  Security i agree were much better than in the past and the only issue i had was the queue to get into the arena on Friday night, massively understaffed and took 30-45 mins to get in.

As you say i'm glad they've chosen an identity and gone with it full bore rather than the last few years where they've trying accommodate too many different tastes.  I don't particularly mind if they stick with pop or go full indie, rock or anything else for that matter as long as they go all the way and not the bits of this and that of 2013/14/15

All set for tickets tomorrow :) bring on 2017!

Edited by watsonjm

Gotta agree with both festy-dancer and watsonjm as much as I'm not into the pop vibe it now has, there is always enough to keep me entertained.  This year seemed a hell of a lot more relaxed than the previous years (one good thing for the Bieliebers I guess). I cant imagine not going after all these years, so 2017 ticket has been bought this morning!!

35 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

42 pounds off a weekend ticket?? surely that means they know their headliners next year are w*nk 

Its the same deal they did this time last year.  

Plus as has been discussed you don't have to have amazing headliners every year to still have a great time.

Edited by watsonjm