Jcatley

14 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Genuinely not sure it will. Reports on here at the time said Bieber's day at Fusion last summer was struggling to sell, Rihanna's stadium tour is bombing, Sia doesn't play gigs so there's no way of knowing how many people she'll draw in and likewise Guetta mainly sticks to festivals (from memory Wireless was his last UK one and that didn't do terrifically). Further down Faithless and the Kaisers are arena acts, although venues were only half full during the latter's last tour. In fact I'd say the only acts on the bill who could definitely be relied upon to shift tickets right now are Years & Years and Little Mix, arugably the worst acts of the lot.

Who knows what will work differently with others about. Don't forget that idiot from Glasto top spot some how this year bombed at a much smaller festival a few years back now and pretty much closed it down lol.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

It just could've looked so much stronger if only they'd thrown the book at someone like LCD Soundsystem or Disclosure or The 1975 or Kendrick or even Macklemore. So many acts around this summer. They haven't even booked Rudimental and they were pretty much the V house band on their last album. I don't know what's going on

I know Olly's a hoot but...mate...

I was there <3

At least they've abandoned that 'British music focus' from last year? In fact they've gone completely the other way, in having the top four made up exclusively of people based abroad. Kinda puts a dampener on all those reports about V struggling to book 2015 with a reduced reach to international acts.

Just trying to look on the bright side like

Edited by Zac Quinn

14 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

At least they've abandoned that 'British music focus' from last year? In fact they've gone completely the other way, in having the top four made up exclusively of Americans. Kinda puts a dampener on all those reports about V struggling to book 2015 with a reduced reach to international acts.

Just trying to look on the bright side like

I love that there's a variety this year of nationalities almost, Bieber Canadian, Sia Australian, Guetta French, Troye Sivan Australian 

4 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

god damn it Poth

is Troye Sivan an exclusive? Haven't seen him pop up anywhere else

I'm guessing exclusive without meaning to be exclusive, he's an extremely smart signing, his UK tour sold out within hours, but not someone who would be fresh in the mind for a festival booker, but as I said, an extremely clever signing :)

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Pretty much, so Jake Bugg hasn't really fallen loads, one spot basically. If I'm honest Bastille Bugg then Faithless isn't that bad. Jess Glynne and Years and Years but then I have no interest in either header.

The reaction on Facebook has seemed very good. If you are a kid just starting out at festivals then all your Tinie Tempahs and Examples is good for them. They clearly want to just go straight pop and fair enough it'll sell well.

Guetta not being at Creamfields is a surprise....not that I'd go gor him. To be fair, Glasto now need to be giving Sia sub/Other header as it wouldn't happen.

Was Bugg not sub headlong festivals and obviously the Other headline spot at Glasto too?

34 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Yes, but it's one spot down which isn't a a massive fall.

Subbing a major festival and then dropping to 2nd stage seems like a bigger drop to me.

Hard 1 to place at Glastonbury if he plays, maybe Other opener is the obvious 1

7 minutes ago, sisco said:

Subbing a major festival and then dropping to 2nd stage seems like a bigger drop to me.

Hard 1 to place at Glastonbury if he plays, maybe Other opener is the obvious 1

Nah probably third on Coldplay day, between Ellie Goulding and ELO. A lovely sleep-inducing Sunday

It's the worst lineup I've ever seen. I went in 2009/2010, and although there was still a lot of shit on, it was a much more healthy mix. There is no going back for it now, this is what it wants to be. Fair enough I suppose though, there's so many different festivals now, and you can easily catch any of the decent people V used to get at all of the other major festivals.

12 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

It's the worst lineup I've ever seen. I went in 2009/2010, and although there was still a lot of shit on, it was a much more healthy mix. There is no going back for it now, this is what it wants to be. Fair enough I suppose though, there's so many different festivals now, and you can easily catch any of the decent people V used to get at all of the other major festivals.

Agree it's clearly taken a different direction and fair play and all, IF it manages to secure the ticket sales. the main problem I can see is that the demographic is now clearly the younger end, and £300 for someone fresh from school/in college/early uni is a lot of money. Time will tell, but for me V is over. Shame that one of the festivals with the biggest budget is no longer catering to indie/rock bands anymore and thus thousands of fans that have loved the festival.

For me it's a shocking lineup. 4 acts that I'd watch. Kaiserchiefs, Faithless. Jake bugg and Travis and seen each of them multiple times. 

Is the bbcr1 dance stage just the Friday night? Would be decent to have some big names in there. Not the plastic djs like guetta 

Edited by lendan

45 minutes ago, Red Day said:

It's possibly the worst line up I've ever seen at a festival.  They are obviously aiming at the mid teen audience.  Suppose they might double their attendance with the children having to take a parent along.

Exactly this. Smart booking. 

It wouldn't surprise me if they lower the amount of weekend tickets and significantly increase day tickets.

I am going to have my opinion! The headliners are both crap but they is some decent acts on the undercard with the likes of Bastille, kaisers, Jake bugg, faithless, Katy B, Jess glynne, soul 2 soul and Travis. So I will say overall not bad/average line up but could have booked better headliners 

At least after the last few years they have stamped their mark and said what they are all about ... plastic pop maybe but there if it sells thats all they care about

The early days were amazing, but then the festival market was  smaller. Over the last years V has tried to hang only its old roots going through the motions of Killers, KOL, Stereophonics etc, and mixing it with pop.

Most years I've managed to avoid the pop and stick with the older bands, had some brilliant moments with OCS, Travis in the arena. Kasabian were immense last year and Stereo's finished 2015 off well

But its now found its niche - and good for them. Its time to move on, stop slating them and find another festival that caters for my personal music taste