Pukkelpop 2016

DDave

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eppo Janssen has just posted a picture on Facebook with the hashtag 'PKPwishlist' and 16.12.15 Het Depot, Leuven. No one has replied to it and there's nothing on the official website so not exactly sure what it's all about? I know Het Depot is a concert venue so I guess they're putting something on that night there.

You can also see the new design/style for 2016 - it looks like some sort of weird sea bed.

Just checked on Twitter and the post is there too.

Reckon the wishlist will open that night and guessing the gig will consist of perhaps one international band and some Belgian ones, who will all play in the summer.

They probably just want to make more of a fuss about the wishlist this year as it comes across as pretty pointless really, seeing as we have no idea whether they actually choose anyone off the back of it? Reality of course is that they can only book bands who are on tour and available at the time, plus they start putting the line up together in November which is obviously before the wish list begins.

In other PKP related news, Kim Mathijs (Michael Midnight, Ed and Kim, The Whatevers) posted on Facebook this week that he is now one of the festival bookers. Think he has been acting in an advisory role on the dance side of things for a while but will be interesting to see if there's any change in emphasis or direction (probably not, likely more about sharing the load).

Highfield Festival (Germany 19/21st August 2016) is releasing tomorrow its first names. Last year PKP shared with them their 3 biggest international names (Offspring/Dropkick Murphys/Interpol) and in 2014 PKP Shared Macklemore/QOTSA and lot of medium size names every year. Let's wait.

Edited by johnybegood

5 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

Highfield Festival (Germany 19/21st August 2016) is releasing tomorrow its first names. Last year PKP shared with them their 3 biggest international names (Offspring/Dropkick Murphys/Interpol) and in 2014 PKP Shared Macklemore/QOTSA and lot of medium size names every year. Let's wait.

Let's hope for better names that the ones you've listed too.

Highfield Festival announcement: Rammstein | Deichkind | AnnenMayKantereit | NOFX | Blumentopf |Airbourne | Genetikk | Wanda | ROYAL REPUBLIC | BONAPARTE | JORIS Kontra K | Die Orsons | Emil Bulls Official | MOOP MAMA | SCHMUTZKI

We can also rule Rammstein out thanks to Rock Werchter.

So today, a couple of late summer festival headliners have been revealed: Sigur Ros and Rammstein. Both of them imposible for PKP.

I can see Airbourne and Royal Republic playing in Shelter Stage (NOFX played a couple years ago, so can't see them headliing Shelter again)

Edited by johnybegood

So looks like Werchter just booked Editors, which potentially opens up the field a bit more for some interesting headliner? They also have RHCP, Rammstein and Florence + Machine (only the latter of those seemed even remotely possible for PkP anyway). Shame Sigur Rós is unlikely due to Dour though. 

On 13-11-2015 23:14:16, DiscothequeDave said:

Stop the fucking press!

Look at the last date on this tour. It means they're around...

This is the year the gods play Pukkelpop

http://www.statusquo.co.uk/tourdates.html#.VkZf5L1FDqA

Omg, Really hoping this pans out!! :D

Like every year, Studio Brussel is turning December into a charity month. Lots of famous people and organisations setting up events in order to raise money for charity.

I'm assuming that the wishlist event is related to this. Round up some Belgian DJs, donate the profit to charity, and enjoy the positive PR results. 

23 minutes ago, ilbeyene said:

Sziget first announcement, so there should be some Pukkelpop material:

Sigur Rós - M83 - Bring Me The Horizon - John Newman - Naughty Boy - MØ - Parov Stelar - Kodaline.

I'd say that BMTH and John Newman are the most likely out of that lot. Parov and Kodaline played last year and don't think they'd go for Sigur Ros given the last couple of years line ups. That said they did give Jonsi a very high maqerquee billing a few years ago so I could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

I'd say that BMTH and John Newman are the most likely out of that lot. Parov and Kodaline played last year and don't think they'd go for Sigur Ros given the last couple of years line ups. That said they did give Jonsi a very high maqerquee billing a few years ago so I could be wrong.

Sigur Ros are playing Dour so they are ruled out.

Expect M83 and Mo from that list as well, both played before and more popular now.

I'm basing this on nothing more than their touring schedule and a hunch but, unless there's a reason to definitely rule them out, I wouldn't be surprised to see The Cure headlining. Granted they wouldn't be popular with some of the younger demographic but I still think they're iconic enough to warrant a place.

Fuck the younger demographic! The line up pandered to them last year and it resulted in the slowest sales for years.

The youngsters will go pretty much regardless of the line up these days cos of the party side of it whereas the old uns like us will give it a swerve if the line ups been compromised like it was last year. 

Anyway. Plenty of decent band's about this year, no excuse for a lame line up at all.

5 minutes ago, Semprini said:

Expect M83 and Mo from that list as well, both played before and more popular now.

I'm basing this on nothing more than their touring schedule and a hunch but, unless there's a reason to definitely rule them out, I wouldn't be surprised to see The Cure headlining. Granted they wouldn't be popular with some of the younger demographic but I still think they're iconic enough to warrant a place.

The Cure is playing in Belgium in November 2016... I think that is so risky booking an expensive band whose fans have the chance of seeing them live 3 months after the festival.

Reading Festival announced RHCP as 1st headliner. So far, 3 headliners have been announced for august festivals: RHCP, Sigur Ros and Rammstein, and all of three are imposible because are booked by belgian festivals.

Same scenario than last year, when all headliners around were booked by other belgian festivals (Muse, Mumford and Sons, Robbie Williams, Florence, Chic ft Nile Rodgers, Kasabian, Robert Plant, Faithless, Lenny Kravitz...) and at the end we got Offspring, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit plus 2 headliners like Bastille and Alt-J.

Call me a pesimist, but I don't have good vibrations...

Edited by johnybegood

It's quite early to be pessimistic. R+L share a headliner with Werchter every year and overlap with Highfield is always rather small. So basically this isn't any different from other years where PP headliners were strong. We still have loads of potential headliners to come, especially since Sigur Ros possibly isn't even headlining Lowlands and Sziget. 

Noticed no-one's mentioned G'n'R yet. You'd think if they were going anywhere it'd be RW but don't see a reason why they're not an (albeit expensive) option for PP, especially if they were announed for Leeds and Reading.

Would trump Neil Young as the most high profile cancellation anyway.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

I had wondered about G'n'R Dave, maybe as their 'marquee' headliner like Linkin Park last year? Only worry with that is it might mean the other two are much smaller in comparison, again like last year.

There's some info on the website now about the wishlist thing on 16/12. It's only during the afternoon and will feature a couple of DJs, probably Michael Midnight and someone like TLP. Can't knock the free beer though!

Nothing I'm too concerned about potentially missing in the RW announcement but think we might still get Mo.

• 2 weeks later...