Pukkelpop 2016

DDave

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before this year's festival thought we'd probably give next year a miss. Now I'm looking at my holidays and rearranging so I can go again.

Early predictions anyone?

Green Day for one of the headliners.

Disclosure to close the Main one night and hopefully a return for Haim, Vampire Weekend and Miike Snow.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

Given the success of Linkin' Park (ticket sale wise) I have no doubt they'd like to get another band in the same vein. Green Day would fit the bill I think, would be a good booking too I suppose. Do Peal Jam still tour? I think they'd sell tickets.

There will almost certainly be someone who no one deems big enough to be a headliner (Foals for example) and then I'd say someone safe and regular Snow Patrol/Coldplay/Placebo/Kings of Leon etc (obviously it depends on who is on tour etc etc). Muse might still be touring Drones next year so maybe they'll play (have they played before?)

I always want The Hold Steady to play, so them. Would love Iron Maiden back, would love AC/DC, Metallica. I think Faithless will be back on the circuit again so them. Dixie Chicks are on the road next year, not sure if they are a festival band but would be a very interesting booking. I think some safe stuff like Imagine Dragons, Foster the People, "fun" etc would be a dead cert too.

Vampire Weekend is a good shout, I think they would go over very well. Maybe Hot Chip, Jame T. Spiritualized would be good in a smaller tent (too big for Castello?)

Ellie went down well this year, so how about Paloma next time or maybe (god forbid) Jessie J.

Ronson could bring the live show rather than the DJ set, La Roux would be a good shout. I'll chuck Noel Gallagher in because I've not seen him and Stereophonics (because they never stop touring). And, because I missed them at Glastonbury Belle and Sebastian playing Tigermilk in full. And Avicii closing one of the days (because I will need an excuse for an early night).

So, my (all wrong) top 2 is...............

Disclosure

Foals

Aviici

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

David Guetta

Pearl Jam

Edited by TheNewUnion

Highly doubt I will be going, seeing as my friends and I are graduating this Summer and thus have more options of doing international festivals like Primavera or Roskilde. But who knows what I'll be thinking/saying in April 2016.

Green Day sounds like a good shout indeed. I think the same goes for Gorillaz: often requested on social media, and just not popular enough to get a fully dark headline slot at Werchter. Kanye West seems like an option as well, since he has an album coming up and Rock Werchter doesn't do rap headliners. 

Who knows, with the news of being debt-free and selling out with a cheap line up, they might just bring in a big shot? Thinking about Radiohead/Pearl Jam/Metallica in that direction.

And Disclosure, The Prodigy, Goose for yer usual dance closers.  

I'd be putting Sam Smith in the Ellie Goulding/Ed Sheeran slot for 2016

As for bands on your next year, you'd imagine RHCP, Coldplay and Radiohead will be about. I'm gonna predict that the Chemical Brother/s will still be touring all through next year and should be a choice for one of the headliners.

• 2 weeks later...

Skrillex

Green Day

Placebo

Stromae

Radiohead

Vampire Weekend

Disclosure

Sam Smith

Foals

Is my early prediction. A mix between bands for the young (Disclosure, Stromae and Sam Smith), Massive American band (GD) and Legendary indie (RH) Dubstep and PP staple that no-one seems to like (Placebo. Interchangeable with Deus and Snow Patrol)

On the subject of Foals. They are one of the few bands touted with 'next headliner' status that I think can pull it off. There's not many band's matching their output of quality stuff atm. New album is brilliant.

Skrillex

Green Day

Placebo

Stromae

Radiohead

Vampire Weekend

Disclosure

Sam Smith

Foals

Is my early prediction. A mix between bands for the young (Disclosure, Stromae and Sam Smith), Massive American band (GD) and Legendary indie (RH) Dubstep and PP staple that no-one seems to like (Placebo. Interchangeable with Deus and Snow Patrol)

On the subject of Foals. They are one of the few bands touted with 'next headliner' status that I think can pull it off. There's not many band's matching their output of quality stuff atm. New album is brilliant.

I think that'd be too much though. Those are 2 headliners above the 1 million euros mark, combined with the most mainstream pop headliner ever at Pukkelpop (at least Bastille still have a big Stubru following). 

Foals would first have to prove themselves some more. Their most recent Belgian show was subbing the smallest tent at Werchter, and their newest album doesn't seem to smash it over here. At the moment I'd rank them as a (newly bigger sized) Marquee headliner, at least Alt-J and The xx had several nr1 albums and sold out arena shows before moving to Pukkelpop headliner. 

I'd put my money on Florence + The Machine for headliner. She's been announcing her first festival shows for next year, and I have my doubts over Rock Werchter rebooking her. 

Those predictions are optimisticly based on the organisers being back in the black and hopefully respondant to the negative feedback from the 2015 edition. Yes it eventually sold out but i'm sure the organisers would love the prestige and security of selling out in weeks as opposed to supposedly selling out within a few days of the festival starting.

Yes, I too believe they will go deeper to avoid another year of criticism (even the media partners questioned the lack of real headliners in their ending conclusions) and slow sales. My point was mostly about it possibly being the most expensive upper part of the lineup Pukkelpop would ever have had. I'd jumble it around a bit and come to this (leaving out Sam Smith, he has a cancelled Werchter slot to make up for):

Skrillex

Green Day

Vampire Weekend

Stromae

Placebo

Imagine Dragons

The Prodigy

Florence

Foals

Still appealing to all the sorts of crowds, guaranteeing both selling out and getting positive social media response.

If he's about, I can see Ed Sheeran taking up a headline slot. His crowd last year was massive and his stock has only gone up since then. Wouldn't be surprised if he has next summer off though, with the other variable being RW getting in first and giving him a co-headliner spot. System of a Down are headlining Rock in Rio in a couple of weeks time so that's another name to throw into the hat.

Would love to see Foals headline - if Alt-J and Bastille are both considered worthy enough then there's no reason why Foals can't pull it off. I've actually got tickets to see them in a month or so in Norwich at a 1,600 capacity venue. Will also be seeing The Mondays and Leftfield at the same place before Christmas - two other bands that would be more than welcome at PKP16.

In other news, me and Jimmy have sorted our European festival out for this year.

On Blackheath festival for Temples, Anna Calvi, The Manics and Elbow next Saturday, then Rod Stewart and possibly others if we can be arsed with them on the Sunday in Hyde Park.

Well London is in Europe!

Blackheath Festival looks very decent by all accounts - never even heard of it before. Massive fan of Groove Armada and Greg Wilson is always quality.

Do me a favour and check out 808 State on my behalf? Now that Underworld have played PKP, the next big one on my, 'have to see them there' list is 808 State (closely followed by The Chems). They rarely play live now though so I'm not holding out too much hope.

Giorgio Moroder aside, that Hyde Park line up looks horrific. My advice would be to throw the kitchen sink at it on Saturday and then find a good pub to watch the football on Sunday.

Skrillex

Green Day

Placebo

Stromae

Radiohead

Vampire Weekend

Disclosure

Sam Smith

Foals

Sounds pretty reasonable. I'm sure Sam Smith will play. The rest of it looks legit and plausible. I do agree though, Florence could well be headlining rather than, say, Radiohead.

I've said before I think Foals will get the step up and I still think they will.

Found out tonight that there's a family wedding in 2017 and it clashes with PKP, so next year better be a good one!

Edited by TheNewUnion

Blackheath Festival looks very decent by all accounts - never even heard of it before. Massive fan of Groove Armada and Greg Wilson is always quality.

Do me a favour and check out 808 State on my behalf? Now that Underworld have played PKP, the next big one on my, 'have to see them there' list is 808 State (closely followed by The Chems). They rarely play live now though so I'm not holding out too much hope.

Giorgio Moroder aside, that Hyde Park line up looks horrific. My advice would be to throw the kitchen sink at it on Saturday and then find a good pub to watch the football on Sunday.

That's exactly what we're doing. Only really going for Rod the Mod, with a faint hope that the Faces will join him on stage (they're reforming for a gig this Saturday)

808 state clash with Elbow I think but might have a wander over.