Pukkelpop 2016

DDave

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say I know loads of their stuff but no denying the appeal and popularity of The Avalanches - reckon you're right NewUnion in that they'll headline the Marquee with Bloc Party on before to beef it up.

Watched some of the live coverage from Primavera over the weekend and there were a few PKP bands featured. Thee Oh Sees drew a big crowd, as did Battles and Beach Slang. Best one I saw though was LCD - definitely increased the anticipation for August. Be interested to hear what Dave thought of them, and any other PKP bands he saw over the last few days? 

Just did a quick count on the official site and I make it 246 names announced so far. Even with the extra space provided by the two new stages, I can't see there being more than another 10 or so bands to come for the Thursday to Saturday line up.

Plus of course, there's still the Wednesday evening bill to be announced.

Edited by Trufflehound

On 6/5/2016 at 9:36 PM, Semprini said:

Can't say I know loads of their stuff but no denying the appeal and popularity of The Avalanches - reckon you're right NewUnion in that they'll headline the Marquee with Bloc Party on before to beef it up.

Watched some of the live coverage from Primavera over the weekend and there were a few PKP bands featured. Thee Oh Sees drew a big crowd, as did Battles and Beach Slang. Best one I saw though was LCD - definitely increased the anticipation for August. Be interested to hear what Dave thought of them, and any other PKP bands he saw over the last few days? 

Got to be honest, I was a bit worse for wear by the time Avalanches came on and bailed out. By the sounds of it I didn't miss much at all. A mere DJ set by the sounds of it. A lot of people sounded pretty disappointed.

As for LCD, the crowd was massive, a lot bigger than I expected and found it hard to get anywhere near the front. They were OK. Again, I'd been on the pop for hours so I'll check out the full set if it's available to see if it was how I remember. I know they are not at PP but Radiohead were the best headliner at PS by a country mile.

Not really much other crossover with Pukkelpop. Caught Nao who was very good.

I'm still in two minds as to whether or not I'll be going this year. I'm gonna wait till the next announcement which will hopefully include some of the better bands from Rock Werchter to beefen it up. Am considering even just doing the Friday and Saturday to save a bit of cash, not really fussed about missing anyone from Thursdays bill in all honesty. 

One question i am wondering is with regards to the campsites . We booked the Relax campsite and are thnking about getting one of the pre pitched accommodation things. They are all in camping Relax+ does that mean i need to upgrade my camping ticket or anything?

Also is it far from the other campsite? I was at Pukkelpop 2010 but we were staying in the campsite across from the Main entrance

52 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

https://www.pukkelpop.be/nl/plan/

New layout. doesn't work for me tbh. It was great having the club at the opposite end of the main stage as it was easy to go between the two. Looks like there could be a chance of some bottlenecks between the Marquee and Club. 

It makes sense though, as the Marquee and Club cater to a similar audience. It was often annoying that an interesting Club act would start right after an interesting Marquee act ended, while taking 5 minutes to get from one stage to the other.

1 hour ago, Dietediet said:

Someone on Festileaks claims that Pukkelpop - 20/8 is mentioned on the latest Bring Me The Horizon tour shirts.

Would tie in well with our earlier "mid-sized name shared with Werchter" discussions. Shame that it's the shittiest one possible...

There's room for a few more bands (currently only 6 Main Stage on Saturday for instance) but you're right, that's about the worst one they could have chosen.

Some bands play more than an hour in the Marquee but most get 40-60 mins.

I'm open to them playing around with some of the stage placements - there'll no doubt be positives and negatives. Biggest issue will likely be the sound bleed from the Boiler into the Club. I know the Shelter people used to moan about it all the time so they'll be pleased with the move. Very likely the more intimate moments in the Club will now be rudely interrupted by a solid 4/4 beat thudding through. Might have been an idea to swap the Boiler and Dance Hall with the Petit Bazer and Baraque Futur but there's possibly logistical reasons why they're all where they are? Loving the position of the Castello as it will feel like a proper little 'dance' corner now! Picked up word tonight that the Boiler will just be one tent this year, and not the triple set up they've had for the past few editions. I much preferred how it used to be and some of my best PKP memories come from times I spent in there during the first 3/4 years I went. Not sure whether there will still be an outside area though - would be surprised if they ditched it altogether?

As for the stage splits, not too many surprises but undoubtedly lots of clashes on the horizon. Not sure how it's worked out but I've currently got more bands I want to see in the Shelter than the Club? Will probably change nearer the time, as I've still got quite a few albums to work my way through, but I've definitely spent less time in the Club over the past few years. Castello is easily the stand out stage for me - all three days are strong but Friday is amazing from Romare on-wards. Bit disappointed with the Dance Hall line up (Thursday, Cassius aside, is absolutely shocking) but still a few acts I'll catch over the weekend. I haven't trawled through everyone but I'm loving The Vryll Society (who play in the Lift on Thursday).

Not forgetting we've got all the names for Wednesday still to come........

On 17 de junio de 2016 at 11:08 PM, Dietediet said:

Someone on Festileaks claims that Pukkelpop - 20/8 is mentioned on the latest Bring Me The Horizon tour shirts.

Would tie in well with our earlier "mid-sized name shared with Werchter" discussions. Shame that it's the shittiest one possible...

If you compare this year stage splits with 2015 and 2014, there are still at least one band missing in the Main Stage each day (maybe 2 on saturday). Maybe we will get 3 werchter artists after that festival in a couple of weeks: Foals, Last Shadow Puppets and BMTH? I can't see PKP booking Iggy Pop...

1 hour ago, johnybegood said:

If you compare this year stage splits with 2015 and 2014, there are still at least one band missing in the Main Stage each day (maybe 2 on saturday). Maybe we will get 3 werchter artists after that festival in a couple of weeks: Foals, Last Shadow Puppets and BMTH? I can't see PKP booking Iggy Pop...

I can definitely see Iggy on the bill. Probably on the Thursday.

Saw a few PKP bands over the weekend at Best Kept Secret. A few observations:

Minor Victories - brilliant. They will be the perfect "sort of shoegaze" act for closing the Club on Saturday. Stuart Braithwaite (Minor Victories and Mogwai guitarist) looked completely shattered at the end he put so much effort in.

Ezra Furman - my surprise "wow" act of the weekend, and could be for PKP too. Fantastic stuff. Musically a mash-up of Meat Loaf and the Dresden Dolls, with a bit of the latter's theatre.

Sleaford Mods - I assume everyone knows them already, but they were as great as expected. Surprised to see them halfway down the Club bill though. At BKS they pulled a large and up for it crowd into a tent not much smaller than the Marquee. PKP may be underestimating their appeal.

Half Moon Run - their 'poppy Fleet Foxes' set was pleasant enough, but I probably won't go back for a second listen (unlike the three above).

On 22/06/2016 at 11:48 PM, Semprini said:

Ironic that this is the first time they've billed it as a 4 day fest and yet the line up last year on Wednesday was so much better. Oh well, all the more reason to continue the tradition of late night beers in the little bar on the corner!

I'll see you there mate.