2017 festival

kaosmark2

Went to Reading for the Saturday only this year on my own, meeting up with friends once I arrived, as have been an Eminem fan for years and had to pass up the opportunity to see him the last two times he's been in the UK (2013 and 2014) so couldn't pass this one up. Travelling there was an absolute nightmare, what genius schedules works at Euston for the bank holiday weekend? Didn't arrive until well past 3 so missed a few acts, but what I did see was pretty decent. 

Migos- were alright, not too sure why Quavo wasn't with them, he's easily the most well known of the 3 but for some reason didn't appear. Ten to 4 was an odd time for them, especially on the Main Stage, but drew a respectable crowd nonetheless. 

Abra Cadbra- very very good, not a massive crowd on the 1xtra stage but got them going and Robbery was easily the highlight, with about 20 people all on stage at once. Great atmosphere

Frank Carter- again. very very good. Being a fellow Watford boy I liked him but even more so now, knows how to work a crowd and although I'm not massively familiar with his songs, it was good enough for me to enjoy

Jax Jones- Dance tent was absolutely rammed and I mean rammed. Could barely get in but the 15 or so minutes I was there it looked incredible, with people going nuts. Highlight was definitely 'You Don't Know Me' which got a massive reaction. 

Major Lazer- brilliant. Looked like they wanted to be there and they were enjoying themselves. Played a bunch of their hits, and an overall great hour or so. Only negative was the crowd. Me and a friend positioned ourselves to the left of the stage but not too far from the front as to get a good spot for Eminem (we both are fans of Major Lazer anyway so that helped) but I did not anticipate the amount of craziness. Moshpit after moshpit after moshpit. I counted at least 20 people run and shove their way out due to not being able to cope. I am asthmatic and I was getting crushed and was unable to breathe at points. I eventually couldn't take it anymore so left, and after finding a spot where we could stand, rest but still enjoy the music I was okay. It was utter madness. But ML were very good. 

Eminem- wow. I know people accuse him of miming etc but I can assure you he wasn't. The only times he didn't rap was either to catch his breathe (which is perfectly understandable) or to talk to the crowd. Played 33 songs in just over 90 minutes, which compared to Kasabians 18 is not bad at all. Looked like he was enjoying himself which is in stark contrast to what I've heard about his 2013 headline performance. Highlight was almost definitely 'Lose Yourself' which to this day amazes me as a song. The lyrics are so meaningful and there's no wonder it's his best song. Been waiting years to see him live and it didn't disappoint. Would be very surprised if he came back for R&L though, maybe a stadium tour in a years time and then I think he might call it a day. But am so glad I can say I've seen him live. 

Overall a very pleasant day, will almost certainly go again next year, although the lineup will dictate whether I weekend it or just go for a day.

Special mention must go to the 2 idiots who climbed the speakers during Eminem's set. First one wasn't so bad as he got to the top, then shit himself at the height and proceeded to sit down on the bars. The second one however, I'm shocked he didn't fall. He was waving his arms about like he wanted the crowd to make him jump; had he fallen he'd have seriously injured himself and loads of others, even worse he could have killed himself. Utter imbecile. Thoughts also go out to the family and friends of the boy who did die early Monday morning. How he died doesn't matter really, 17 is far far too young to go. 

Edited by HornetMan

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, devilman said:

Mosh pits for Major Lazer? Must have been brutal. I would imagine that only the wall of death at Florence and the Machine could have been a more harrowing experience :)

I think you're underestimating what's popular with R&L's main target audience now. Both Major Lazer and Giggs had pits that looked way more fun and committed than what Architects had. I tried my best during These Colours Don't Run, I really did. Sixteen year olds fly surprisingly far when you physically pick them up and chuck them out of the way to make some space :lol: 

21 minutes ago, devilman said:

Mosh pits for Major Lazer? Must have been brutal. I would imagine that only the wall of death at Florence and the Machine could have been a more harrowing experience :)

I think you're underestimating what's popular with R&L's main target audience now. Both Major Lazer and Giggs had pits that looked way more fun and committed than what Architects had. I tried my best during These Colours Don't Run, I really did. Sixteen year olds fly surprisingly far when you physically pick them up and chuck them out of the way to make some space :lol: 

14 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Architects were early though. Never ceases to amaze me at Leeds how busy the campsite is during the day. I'm sure a lot of people don't see any bands at all!  I don't think I've taken part in a festival pit this year although I've waded through a few to get pals up surfing. Actually I'm struggling to remember one I've ever done at Leeds. Probably for the reasons you state. When you've played 2nd row forward for 25 years, jumping into what looks like a bunch of infants weighing half what you do playing ring a roses just doesn't feel right. :) 

9 minutes ago, devilman said:

Architects were early though. Never ceases to amaze me at Leeds how busy the campsite is during the day. I'm sure a lot of people don't see any bands at all!  I don't think I've taken part in a festival pit this year although I've waded through a few to get pals up surfing. Actually I'm struggling to remember one I've ever done at Leeds. Probably for the reasons you state. When you've played 2nd row forward for 25 years, jumping into what looks like a bunch of infants weighing half what you do playing ring a roses just doesn't feel right. :) 

Giggs was on right after Architects and as soon as they left the stage people just swarmed to the stage. The crowd dwarfed what Architects had just half an hour before. 

I actually loved seeing it. Giggs was brilliant and the crowd was wild. It was cool to see the younger kids losing it and having a great time. I guess its the same as when I was going at 17 and pitting to You Me At Six, people who were 25 at the time and had been used to seeing band like Dillinger and RATM must have thought, 'What the hell are these kids going mental to this for?' 

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

I just caught the highlights of At The Drive-In's set. Jeez. It looked rough. Was it any good in person?

Watched maybe 10 minutes, dogshit, it's like they were a completely different band to the one who recorded the stuff and had spent one play through of each song practicing.