2017 festival

kaosmark2

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Someone please assure me they wouldn't be able to afford Drake and Foo Fighters in the same year.

FR managed to book Drake to headline Wireless fifteen times over four years so at a festival which makes a lot more money, I should think he'd come fairly easily.

I think his appearance was more to do with him being in the area for that Boy Better Know O2 takeover but it was at least an indication how well received he was when just showing his face.

2 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Yeah I thought the same. Drake has to be the most appropriate, bonafide headline-sized act yet to headline R&L? It's the perfect match for the current demographic of attendees. Stick Brand New opposite him in NME and it's all good. 

More than Kanye?

I think Drake skews more to the pop crowds maybe but yeah it'd be a big deal nowadays.

3 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Yeah I thought the same. Drake has to be the most appropriate, bonafide headline-sized act yet to headline R&L? It's the perfect match for the current demographic of attendees. Stick Brand New opposite him in NME and it's all good. 

Ooh, would really like this actually.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I think Drake skews more to the pop crowds maybe but yeah it'd be a big deal nowadays.

Feel like next year they may go for a bit of a curve ball in terms of a headliner, Drake would be a good booking imo the crowd looked absolutely mental. 

Drake or kanye // Artics or Foos // Royal Blood and/or the 1975 and/or CaTB would be extremely strong imo but the likelihood is extremely slim.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

More than Kanye?

I think Drake would go down better thank kanye as much as i hate typing that. Drake is a lot more current especially as the life of pablo didn't exactly set the world alight. 

Cracking weekend! Really impressed with the number of secret sets - QOTSA, Wolf Alice, Don Brocco, Fickle Friends and The Hunna across 3 days and also some big name guest appearances - Stormzy, Drake, Noel Fielding, Brian Johnson. Personal highlights were Wolf Alice, the Sherlocks, Kasabian, Liam Gallagher and Eminem. And the weather was spot on! Looking forward to getting back to bed and watching highlights for rest of the day on iplayer 

I had a really good day on Friday. The weather was brilliant all day so no complaints there. I got into the site, grabbed some drinks and headed straight over to Festival Republic for Yonaka. Good on record but even better live - a really energetic live performance, especially so early on in proceedings. I was quite impressed. From there I headed straight over to NME for The Magic Gang. The band were alright but the crowd was naff. Shirtless teens repeatedly opening up pits during a relaxed, upbeat indie affair. I felt like I was back at Reading after that! 

I headed back to Festival Republic to see The Amazons had packed the tent out. I've cooled on them significantly since catching their performance at Glastonbury so didn't really bother trying to get in, but it's clear they'll be back in bigger slots from here on in. Up next was IDLES. Absolutely smashed it. Unbelievable performance. Glasses were broken during Heel / Heal. I bumped into the band straight after their set as they walked past the tent. I was too surprised to do much more than blurt out 'I love your music', and they seemed appreciative. I won't forget their set for along time. The Big Moon played next, which was a much more low-key as expected but was still enjoyable. They've got a knack for a catchy chorus and the Bonnie Tyler cover was nice too. 

Jimmy Eat World were next and it was the same deal as their 2014 set - playing to a largely disinterested crowd waiting to hear The Middle. I love the band but I'm unsure if putting them fourth down on Main made much sense. They've now played sets at Reading seven times but haven't played Always Be once. Shame. I was sat down throughout Two Door Cinema Club but from what I could hear they sounded alright. I can't really comment on them too much since I was too excited for the next act I was seeing ... 

Queens of the Stone Age were brilliant. I'll surprise nobody by saying they were my day's highlight. I mean, it's QOTSA in NME. The band sounded great, the atmosphere in the crowd was electric and their new songs sounded huge. 25ish minutes just wasn't enough. November needs to hurry so I can see them again. As soon as their set was over I bolted to Main to catch Kasabian just in time for Club Foot, Underdog and You're In Love With A Psycho. I enjoyed myself for a while but was a fair way back in the crowd given the crossover with Queens, so decided to check out what else was on rather than stick it out at Kasabian. They weren't bad by any means, but I guess it's not fair on any band to follow on from Queens. 

Fatboy Slim had drawn a massive crowd in the Dance Tent. I caught You Me At Six play a few songs to a surprisingly sizeable and receptive crowd in NME. It wasn't packed by any means but it wasn't as empty as I had anticipated. I finally headed down and heard Billy Talent in The Pit and in hindsight I probably should have just headed straight there after Queens. It looked brilliant fun. 

I managed to chat to a fair few people throughout the day, all of which were really friendly and the atmosphere generally was a really pleasant one. It's not something I've come to associate with the festival during my time. I can't see myself returning to the festival for the full weekend, but I'll probably be back for a day or two next year if the lineup is good.

10 minutes ago, Lord luke said:

Does anybody know what happened on the green campsite last night? Heard a lot of noise and disturbance. 

17 year-old found did in his tent in the early hours, not sure if that was green and what you're referring to though.

Only went on the Friday (first since 2012) but had a great day - weather was perfect, everyone was in good spirits, enjoyed everything I saw. The sound quality was excellent across the board, I know the main stage sound can be susceptible to wind but no issues at all on any of the stages I was at. Also bum bags back in fashion? Shiiiiiiiiiit. Sad to see Carlsberg back on the menu but the craft ale tent was a life-saver. Price of food was scandalous.

Started off with Deap Vally, lovely chunky riffs were a great start to the day. Having never seen them live The Orwells weren't what I was expecting, but in a good way. Reminded me of a cross between FIDLAR and Cage The Elephant, not as good as either but still some good tunes. Caught the first half of Rob Delaney, have never seen his stand-up but very funny.

IDLES were fantastic and are so obviously the real deal, unfortunately too meaningful and emotionally invested in what they do to avoid burning out and being shat on but right now an essential modern British band. Love The Big Moon's record and they didn't disappoint, great set. Both crowds were good, unfortunately Cosima afterwards seemed to be playing to about 15 people, not my cup of tea but she has a lovely voice.

JEW were there usual reliable self, a good festival setlist. Not sure why these guys are perennially stuck with shitty slots while the likes of Brand New are touted for NME headliners. Give the reaction to the song I think The Middle can be legitimately included on a Reading Festival Crowd Favourites mixtape. QOTSA were on top form, although being 15-20 minutes later than advertised meant I couldn't catch much of them.

Kasabian were great, obviously their sub-Britpop music and boorish fanbase isn't for everyone butt for fans it was an excellent set. Hadn't heard the new album live but it sounded awesome, 'Bless This Acid House' already sounds like a live favourite. Felt like a really good atmosphere, 15 and 50 year-olds dancing next to each other and singing along. Some personal favourites missing but for a festival couldn't argue with the setlist. Nice touch covering Nirvana 25 years on.

Edited by mrtourette

The View were on fire again. Twice now I've seen them between Leeds and Trnsmt and both times they've been my highlight. They come out, crank out track after track without barely a word in between and the crowd are up for a dance right the way through. No bother with any dickheads, everyone just having a good time.

Sigrid as well lived up to hopes. She's got a fantastic voice there and an infectious presence. Should find her way up the bill wherever she goes pretty sharpish for mine.

Kasabian were brilliant too! Buzzed right through the set and the new tracks sounded great in front of a crowd. Would definitely see them again in a headline slot.

JEW were great. Bit frustrating that the crowd were comatose until The Middle. Which is arguably the best sing along from anything out there over the whole weekend though to be fair. 

Neck Deep delivered. EMINEM for me was a massive let down. I'll get shit on for it but I don't see the point in going to watch someone essentially pretend to sing his set save for the odd track he decided to try and do off his own back and not let his backing track do all the work. Great physical performer and a spectacle but its hard to get on board when i'm just listening to the album and some woman miming along to Rihanna and Didos vocals track....

Anyhoo. Good weekend all round. Learned that i'd be better with an early entry pass next year to settle in before the first day of music because I were a right moody fucker on the thursday and half the friday while I adjusted to everything going on around me.

Had an incredible weekend at Leeds. The weather was stunning and the bands I wanted to see were phenomenal. I actually loved being able to walk around a chill out watching some bands I wasn't planning on seeing because I had quite a few gaps between the acts I was really looking forward to seeing. 

Best acts I saw were: Don Broco, Neck Deep, You Me At Six, WSTR, Architects, QOTSA and While She Sleeps. I was so impressed with Giggs and Major Lazer. Had a great time at both. 

On the downside,  I saw far too many people gurning wearing little satchels, too many arse cheeks, too many girls with glitter around one eye and I definitely don't want or know anybody who wants to buy any ket, thank you. 

Edited by Andre91

First post in a long time, my experience working on the bars at Leeds fest for a 2nd time...

I started work on mainstage bar one conveniently straight after QOTSA's very good secret set.  Girl behind me: "Who are these". Me: "It's QOTSA". Girls behind me; 'Yes I love them, had no idea thats what they looked like!". Friday took a while to pick up in main arena, between Giggs and Blossoms was when it really got busy. Nothing much of note in the afternoon bar Vant, who got a good response. LG/Blossoms played very effective crowd pleasing sets and were both much better than at Glasto. Muse's crowd was the smallest of the 3 headliners, they did a good job appealing to older fans with the rarities and younger fans with the run of 2nd law/drones stuff that got a good reactions towards the end. 

Following day was noticeably busier ratboy/circa waves/jimmy eat all put on good shows. Really picked up before TDCC, who sounded the best of the 5 times I've come across them at festivals. Bar remained very busy all through Bastille's set, lots of fans seemed not to rate them too highly, not just a case of the main arena being very busy like for ML the following day. Maybe a poor choice for Kasabian day ticketers, but I'm sure they'll have done well with teenage campers. As for Kasabian, great live as always, songs from the last two albums made the return very worthy imo. 

Sunday was by far the busiest day, marginally topping RHCP day last year. From PVRIS until the start of Eminem the bar was rammed. Migos seemed late and set was short. Hard to make out much of ADTR & Korn, but Korn in particular did sound very good. For Major Lazer I again couldn't see much for the supposedly impressive stage show, sound traveled very badly though, insanely basey. Eminem however was phenomenal, as the 5* Guardian review agrees, top performance that pleased the masses, young and old. Queues were insane all day on Sunday, but other than that it's hard to find any faults with the overall organisation of the event.

Given just how reliant the event now is on day tickets I think grabbing big name repeat booking headliners off the touring circuit is the way the event to keep going (Leeds at least), on this ground I can anticipate Foos & Killers getting booked next year and both selling well for the day.