2017 festival

kaosmark2

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Hold that thought, looks like Reading weekend tickets are now sold out. 

Doesn't look like it. Where've you seen this?

great news it hasn't sold out. And it's no surprise 2015 sold like shit, you could argue all headliners were wrong for the demo

1 minute ago, Steve1000 said:

Doesn't look like it. Where've you seen this?

great news it hasn't sold out. And it's no surprise 2015 sold like shit, you could argue all headliners were wrong for the demo

Even The Libertines?

It was probably a surprise at the time. I remember when they were all announced that people were praising it as three huge, undeniable headliners. Just like this year, and also like this year it turns out that the mass demand had already dried up or gone for two of them. To say coheadliners get complained about, the last couple of times with them seem to fare better than straightforward sets of headliners.

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Even The Libertines?

It was probably a surprise at the time. I remember when they were all announced that people were praising it as three huge, undeniable headliners. Just like this year, and also like this year it turns out that the mass demand had already dried up or gone for two of them. To say coheadliners get complained about, the last couple of times with them seem to fare better than straightforward sets of headliners.

To an extent yes, because the target audience were about 3 years old when they were in their prime. 

Were they? I thought everyone thought it was w*nk. Mumfords fall from grace was much faster and steeper than Muse and Kasabians, that said that year had a decent undercard. 

I agree about coheadliners, think their propper likely next year

Just now, dentalplan said:

Even The Libertines?

I dunno Metallica is pretty niche (most people dont like metal) and The Libertines imo were probably a slot too high (they would have been well received as subs or could have coheadlined with BMTH) However it was a good undercard that year imo

10 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I dunno Metallica is pretty niche (most people dont like metal) and The Libertines imo were probably a slot too high (they would have been well received as subs or could have coheadlined with BMTH) However it was a good undercard that year imo

BMTH were seen as being a weak as fuck sub at the time, they couldn't have co-headlined. Only Hawky expected them to sub. By the time the festival rolled around they were fine as a sub but if they'd have been announced as a headliner in March (or whenever) then Melvin would have been laughed off the face of the earth.

Just now, Will-2609 said:

BMTH were seen as being a weak as fuck sub at the time, they couldn't have co-headlined. Only Hawky expected them to sub. By the time the festival rolled around they were fine as a sub but if they'd have been announced as a headliner in March (or whenever) then Melvin would have been laughed off the face of the earth.

Fair enough then, but imo Libertines were a weak ass headliner anyway so

24 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

To an extent yes, because the target audience were about 3 years old when they were in their prime. 

Were they? I thought everyone thought it was w*nk. Mumfords fall from grace was much faster and steeper than Muse and Kasabians, that said that year had a decent undercard. 

Nah they're definitely someone people got into while they were out of action. Like the Stone Roses reunion and a potential Oasis reunion; they wouldn't be/weren't just people still about from their peak. They were close to selling out Hyde Park as well so seen as a pretty strong draw for the demographic beforehand.

Mumford & Sons hadn't announced their comeback yet when they were announced for R+L, and their previous album was massive.

Edited by dentalplan
oops

6 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

I was with Hawky :P

7 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

They've already confirmed that Jack Rocks is gonna be at both Reading and Leeds this year havent they? (and most festivals tbh)

It just seems to be Reading this year - they've not explicitly said it's not at Leeds but everything they've said about it just says that it'll be at Reading. Probably be spread too thin doing both Reading and Leeds but maybe in the next couple of years it can be a dual site thing at the rate it's growing.

3 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

email from Oxfam begging for people to come and steward even if they can't be there for the whole weekend, not seen that before.

Possibly panicking after what happened at YNOT, festival republic might try and be extra certain they can deal with all possibilities 

1 minute ago, Obiginnaw said:

Possibly panicking after what happened at YNOT, festival republic might try and be extra certain they can deal with all possibilities 

tbh I was more getting at the distinct possibility that when you have a shit festival whose only redeeming feature is good line-ups, but then you stop booking good line-ups, people won't want to go anymore. but yeah quite possibly you have a point there too