2017 festival

kaosmark2

54 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Assuming its to do with the fact Reading has a curfew (11pm i think?) but at Leeds they don't

It's the opposite way around for the main stages (Leeds finishes at 11, Reading half an hour later I believe) but I've no idea why it doesn't transfer to the Alternative Stage, it just happens I suppose.

Edited by dentalplan

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 25/07/2017 at 7:13 PM, dentalplan said:

It's the opposite way around for the main stages (Leeds finishes at 11, Reading half an hour later I believe) but I've no idea why it doesn't transfer to the Alternative Stage, it just happens I suppose.

Yeah it doesn't make sense that that the main stage at Reading finishes later, but there's never been live bands after hours at Reading. Never been anything on Thurs either, whereas there has at Leeds. I can only assume it's to do with the licence, as Reading is in a more urban area and Leeds more in the sticks 

Could you not have a secret set on the alternative stage? I know there's a big gap usually between the comedy and the late night entertainment, but surely there's enough time from the comedy ending at 6 to the late night stuff starting at 11 for a secret set? Alternatively, there's enough space on the Pit/Lock Up, and it would work a treat in there. Then again, I'm pretty sure it'll be Royal Blood if anyone. 

6 hours ago, juglando said:

surely this has to put wolf alice in good contention for a secret set? Could see them playing a decently sized slot next year aswellIMG_1943.thumb.PNG.ee7684961b0fe65c61582af7a9fd6d0d.PNG

Came here to post this myself, definitely seems to put them in the frame for it, although as has been said, doesn't appear to be much room for it on the days they would play.

Might be clutching at straws( probably clutching at straws), but Yonaka were on Twitter to NBT and had a conversation where they hinted at seeing NBT at reading, which then stopped all replies suddenly 

might be nothing at all , but worth keeping an eye on 

Might be clutching at straws( probably clutching at straws), but Yonaka were on Twitter to NBT and had a conversation where they hinted at seeing NBT at reading, which then stopped all replies suddenly 

I think NBT could be in with a chance of a secret set on the Friday. That would be good - and they do have their album coming out a couple of weeks later. You've also got Wolf Alice playing down the road in Guildford that evening, so could easily do an early slot on the NME stage. Again their album is also out a month later.

17 hours ago, Obiginnaw said:

I know they're somewhat sizeable but I don't think they're so big that they can play two years back to back and then them coming back unannounced would be a big deal. I would think whoever was on the controls of the Yonaka account just expected that NBT would be at R+L because they're becoming a regular fixture, and the other side thought it a bit awkward to correct them.

1 hour ago, Stuielooie said:

You've also got Wolf Alice playing down the road in Guildford that evening, so could easily do an early slot on the NME stage. Again their album is also out a month later.

They've got to soundcheck and play Reading, soundcheck at Guildford a couple of hours later, play the gig that night, and then possibly have to do it all again at Leeds the next morning. It's not impossible but certainly isn't easy. If anything I'd expect them to be on the Festival Republic stage Sat/Sun and someone else on NME Fri/Sat.

They were about 5 down on the Main Stage last time around weren't they? Id be surprised if they were the secret set, but you never know.

The one thing NBT having going for them is they are getting massive airplay on Radio 1 prior to their new album, so I suspect they are picking up a bigger fan base than ever at present. It's a little bit like Foals secret setting. They'd has a great debut album and 2 solid but unspectacular albums. I certainly didn't forsee them going mainstream prior to the last album and sacked that secret set off for Marmozets. 

Guess what I am saying is that NBT might be on the cusp of making that step higher up the bill and thats why theyll get a secret set. Certainly, musucally it looks like theyve done a better job of album 2 than CATB and they are often mooted as future headliners etc.

Or I could be barking up the wrong tree entirely.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Premiering a new track on R1 tonight. I'd expect an album announcement tonight too before their arena tour in November. 

I know man. Just yankin yer chain. :P

26 minutes ago, footix2 said:

They were about 5 down on the Main Stage last time around weren't they? Id be surprised if they were the secret set, but you never know.

The one thing NBT having going for them is they are getting massive airplay on Radio 1 prior to their new album, so I suspect they are picking up a bigger fan base than ever at present. It's a little bit like Foals secret setting. They'd has a great debut album and 2 solid but unspectacular albums. I certainly didn't forsee them going mainstream prior to the last album and sacked that secret set off for Marmozets. 

Guess what I am saying is that NBT might be on the cusp of making that step higher up the bill and thats why theyll get a secret set. Certainly, musucally it looks like theyve done a better job of album 2 than CATB and they are often mooted as future headliners etc.

Or I could be barking up the wrong tree entirely.

I think you are, yeah. Foals were already mainstream and outlined as future headliners by Melvin years before they headlined R+L and they topped bills at Latitude and Bestival before that secret set. I don't see the comparison to Nothing But Thieves there. Likewise Catfish and the Bottlemen are seen as future headliners because they're headlining arenas and festivals that NBT are halfway down the bill at, not because they put out quality music.

Nothing But Thieves certainly seem to have potential but they're not gonna be headlining R+L on the next couple of albums, and they're way short of any act who's done a secret set on the NME - they're not even as big as acts that have played unannounced on The Pit or Festival Republic in recent years.

Edited by dentalplan

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Melvin said to the Yorkshire Evening Press that you're not allowed to bring bags bigger than an A4 sheet of paper into the arena. Anyone thinking of bringing a stack of printer paper in best think again.

Now what am I supposd to do with all of this A3 I usually bring with me every year?