2017 festival

kaosmark2

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Aye, Oasis, not Liam Gallagher solo. He may be a bigger celebrity than SOAD, but he hasn't even released a pissing album. There's literally nothing backing his solo act up as being good right now, either live or on record.

4 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Paramore aren't bigger now than they were in 2012, and them getting a co-headline spot in 2013 doesn't change my opinion on that.

You are getting a bit mistaken here man for Oasis. Them as a band yes but as a solo act that hasn't released a record yet and flopped that much as his 1st attempt at music outside of Oasis that he stopped isn't justifying the claim. 

That's what I mean. His influence and achievements in music make him a much bigger name than most artists who have played the festival in recent years.

By the sounds of it, it's essentially going to be an hour of mostly Oasis songs, which I guess is fair enough regarding the sub slot. The idea of Liam Gallagher doing Oasis songs would sell out a tour.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, thelemon said:

Neither did The Stone Roses in 96 and the hype if they were headlining would be crazy. Same with Arctic Monkeys in 2009. I wasn't there but I've heard a lot of people weren't blown away. Take them away for a few years and everything changes. The world is waiting for an Oasis reunion, this will probably do for now, it's better than nowt.

On the Hunna, I think it's a refreshing booking compared to the usual dried up FR headliners. They won't draw more than HAIM obviously but I think they'll take a fair portion of their crowd considering their size. I'd choose them over HAIM as well (although not over Muse) because I might not be a big fan but they do have some good tunes and I always found HAIM to be a bit underwhelming. I actually think that the weakest part of this lineup is the NME top line. Flume is a good option for the Eminem day but I think YMAS will draw a tiny crowd and I think HAIM will draw an even smaller one. Tory Lanez is an odd one as well, can't see too much crossover between him and YMAS and I find it weird how the festival is pushing Halsey seeing as I don't think she's at all suited to the demographic. Maybe she'll prove me wrong though, especially if she plays that Chainsmokers track. The headliners are really solid across the board (not a huge fan of WSS or Billy Talent but they're good bookings), especially Bugzy and Fatboy Slim, but YMAS and HAIM are probably the weakest out of all of the "big" places for me. And that's not just taste, I genuinely don't think they'll draw particularly big crowds.

Yep, Arctic Monkeys were utter dogshit in 2009. Genuinely one of the worst live performances I've ever seen.

49 minutes ago, thelemon said:

Agree with all that, third down would probably be a slightly better fit but he'll sell just as many tickets in that demographic as most other realistic alternatives. I'm also expecting his record to not be that good, but it doesn't matter if he's playing Oasis tunes. Even one track of theirs will go down a storm and regardless of who wrote them, Liam sang the majority, so it'll be about as close to an Oasis reunion we're gonna get for a while, possibly ever. I'd happily sit through any shit he puts out if I'm gonna here some classics.

That's why I think the top of that day is actually strong. Blossoms apart from being a fantastic band that I really rate, are an exciting choice because we're seeing new blood working their way up a major festival, and it's absolutely deserved. Then you have Muse, one of the best live bands in the world, to finish it all off. As I said before as well, Giggs, The Sherlocks and Sløtface make it a strong day overall. For me and my group anyway, which in reality is obviously all I actually care about.

Pond are also a good addition, and there's more to come as well I'd imagine.

In terms of the other days, obviously the headliners speak for themselves, and the undercard isn't bad. As shit as Korn and Bastille both are, they'll both draw a decent crowd (2000s scene kids who want the nostalgia of Korn and Eminem, and the casual radio listener who wants to here Bastille's hits). For me, Major Lazer will be fun and TDCC is a great addition seeing as a lot of people (myself included) made the obvious choice of RHCP over them last year (not something I regret, but I would like to see TDCC). Circa Waves and Rat Boy and then PVRIS and The Pretty Reckless make for a fairly strong main stage imo. The NME is great on the Eminem as well, I'd like to try and see Glass Animals, Everything Everything and Sundaes Karma (clashes permitting), and then Frank Carter, Marmozets, CABBAGE and INHEAVEN are fantastic additions. That's about as far as I tend to venture stage-wise, but there are some really good acts elsewhere with The Amazons, The Japanese House, Superfood, Paris Youth Foundation and Will Joseph Cook popping up on the FR. Throw in a decent alternative stage lineup and honestly the weekend has loads to offer.

It has a fair amount to offer but so do many other festivals and many are cheaper. Imo Blossoms do not deserve that slot, they are okay but their one big indie anthem has carried them to where they are. Trying to listen through their whole album is dull. My problem with the line up is there just isn't anything interesting about it. I do agree that LG is actually a good booking, one of the few things that makes Reading stand out from other festivals so far. 

Edited by CRW5252

14 minutes ago, VCK said:

Yep, Arctic Monkeys were utter dogshit in 2009. Genuinely one of the worst live performances I've ever seen.

What made it such a poor performance? Not disagreeing with you, just curious since I haven't watched it before.

Just now, Han Ford said:

What made it such a poor performance? Not disagreeing with you, just curious since I haven't watched it before.

That's quite the username right therew.

It was just lifeless. It lacked energy and passion and for all the hero worship of him, Alex just has no stage presence.

Regardless of all the above (Liam Gallagher is an embarrassing sub booking, he's half way down the bill at every other festival he's playing), why the fuck have they put Liam Gallagher below Muse? Muse are literally the anti-Oasis, every Oasis fan hates them. Surely swapping them with Bastille makes more sense (although I guess spreading them out leads to weekend sales instead of just day ticket sales).

For me, this would have made way more sense:

Kasabian / Liam Gallagher / Blossoms

You Me at Six

Eminem / Major Lazer / Two Door Cinema Club

HAIM

Muse / Bastille / Korn

Flume

Also, I would have said there's still a chance of Chance (lol) or Skepta being added 2nd or 3rd down on Muse day, as on the first poster Blossoms were below HAIM, and on the other two days the 3rd down act was above the NME headliner. On last year's first poster the placements were pretty consistent in terms of what slot the acts played. There's also not really much of a reason to have held back two main stage acts for the Muse day and none for the other two days unless it was to allow more ticket sales (don't think Chance has sold out his Wireless day yet).

Only things making this feel less likely are Blossoms being given a logo on the poster (would have expected them not to bother and just have "Special Guest TBA" above them or spread the acts out more, but maybe I'm thinking about it too much, and maybe they don't want people still expecting Chance to turn up as they still need to sell Wireless tickets), and the fact it'd push Architects down to 6th when I think they'll get 5th.

In reality I reckon they've just spunked the budget on 3 massive headliners and ended up with an awful undercard. You'd have thought though that they'd have stuck Korn on Muse's day instead of Blossoms, though, as they'll know Muse need more help selling their day than Eminem (again though it could be to make fans of heavier stuff buy weekend tickets).

11 hours ago, thelemon said:

Agree with all that, third down would probably be a slightly better fit but he'll sell just as many tickets in that demographic as most other realistic alternatives. I'm also expecting his record to not be that good, but it doesn't matter if he's playing Oasis tunes. Even one track of theirs will go down a storm and regardless of who wrote them, Liam sang the majority, so it'll be about as close to an Oasis reunion we're gonna get for a while, possibly ever. I'd happily sit through any shit he puts out if I'm gonna here some classics.

That's why I think the top of that day is actually strong. Blossoms apart from being a fantastic band that I really rate, are an exciting choice because we're seeing new blood working their way up a major festival, and it's absolutely deserved. Then you have Muse, one of the best live bands in the world, to finish it all off. As I said before as well, Giggs, The Sherlocks and Sløtface make it a strong day overall. For me and my group anyway, which in reality is obviously all I actually care about.

Pond are also a good addition, and there's more to come as well I'd imagine.

In terms of the other days, obviously the headliners speak for themselves, and the undercard isn't bad. As shit as Korn and Bastille both are, they'll both draw a decent crowd (2000s scene kids who want the nostalgia of Korn and Eminem, and the casual radio listener who wants to here Bastille's hits). For me, Major Lazer will be fun and TDCC is a great addition seeing as a lot of people (myself included) made the obvious choice of RHCP over them last year (not something I regret, but I would like to see TDCC). Circa Waves and Rat Boy and then PVRIS and The Pretty Reckless make for a fairly strong main stage imo. The NME is great on the Eminem as well, I'd like to try and see Glass Animals, Everything Everything and Sundaes Karma (clashes permitting), and then Frank Carter, Marmozets, CABBAGE and INHEAVEN are fantastic additions. That's about as far as I tend to venture stage-wise, but there are some really good acts elsewhere with The Amazons, The Japanese House, Superfood, Paris Youth Foundation and Will Joseph Cook popping up on the FR. Throw in a decent alternative stage lineup and honestly the weekend has loads to offer.

Muse were fucking awful at Glastonbury last year, and the set was almost exclusively derided. The previous festival set I saw from them was also shite, and their arena tour last year was average. And I'm basically the board's resident Muse fan (seen them 11 times). They're no longer a top live band. Their setlists are terrible and there's no excitement or anything there anymore (seeing them in Manchester Academy playing a fan-friendly setlist the other year was infinitely better than any other recent time I've seen them). They'll play half of Drones, the shit like Uprising, Starlight, Madness and Time is Running Out, and maybe 5 or so good songs throughout the set, ignoring the likes of Hysteria and New Born in favour of wasting 10 minutes closing the set with The bloody Globalist. They've apparently got some new songs coming soon which will most likely be just as awful as the last three albums and they'll probably waste more setlist space on those, too.

Also Liam Gallagher's will be nothing like an Oasis reunion. It'll be a bunch of random musicians playing some Oasis songs and some most-likely-terrible new stuff, fronted by an ageing Liam Gallagher whose voice is totally gone and will butcher any classics he tries his hand at.

Blossoms are playing 5th down the bill at TRNSMT festival, below Twin Atlantic. They'll be 5th or 6th down the bill at Glastonbury. They're no different to any of the other hundreds of indie landfill bands about, and their one album doesn't deserve to get them 3rd down the bill at Reading and Leeds. If they don't add Chance the Rapper or someone to that day it's going to look awful and be one of the worst days R&L have ever booked.

Anyway, that got a bit ranty. Haven't really posted about the lineup yet so unloaded all my thoughts about it in response to your post :lol:

Personally I think Liam gallagher will go down well (at Leeds that is). First reason for this is that he's playing "Oasis classics" so you're looking at songs like Morning Glory, Ciggarettes and alcohol, Rock n roll star, wonderwall, champagne supernova, etc. So basically if he plays 80% Oasis tunes and 20% shit solo stuff nobodies gonna be arsed. Another reason he'll go down well is that a lot 16-18 year olds into indie music at the moment (bands like Catfish, Courteeners, blossoms, etc) wouldn't have got to experience the explosion of oasis in the 90's and they probably never saw them and given this is the closest we'll get to an oasis reunion more people will want to see it. At the end of the day, even if his new tunes are shit (which they probably will be as he's not a great songwriter) as long as he plays oasis classics he'll go down great so I personally think it's a great booking, but that's just my music taste.

16 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Blossoms are playing 5th down the bill at TRNSMT festival, below Twin Atlantic. They'll be 5th or 6th down the bill at Glastonbury.

I would say that just shows different festival catering to their audiences. Twin Atlantic will be higher up the bill in a Scottish festival than an English one. Flavour of the month indie/rock is generally higher in reading than glasto.

9 minutes ago, AdamJansson88 said:

Personally I think Liam gallagher will go down well (at Leeds that is). First reason for this is that he's playing "Oasis classics" so you're looking at songs like Morning Glory, Ciggarettes and alcohol, Rock n roll star, wonderwall, champagne supernova, etc. So basically if he plays 80% Oasis tunes and 20% shit solo stuff nobodies gonna be arsed. Another reason he'll go down well is that a lot 16-18 year olds into indie music at the moment (bands like Catfish, Courteeners, blossoms, etc) wouldn't have got to experience the explosion of oasis in the 90's and they probably never saw them and given this is the closest we'll get to an oasis reunion more people will want to see it. At the end of the day, even if his new tunes are shit (which they probably will be as he's not a great songwriter) as long as he plays oasis classics he'll go down great so I personally think it's a great booking, but that's just my music taste.

As a sub he's going to play like 10 songs. He isn't going to play only 2 songs from his debut solo album that he's literally touring in support of. At most it'll be 50% Oasis songs.

No way should Blossoms be playing third down. They played The Engine Shed (our gig venue in Lincoln) a couple of weeks ago and didn't even sell it out. They should be fifth / fourth down at an absolute push. Liam should be third, not sub, or even NME headliner. 

I've given days a little shuffle and it makes way more sense, to me, anyway: 

Kasabian / Bastille / Liam Gallagher / Jimmy Eat World / Blossoms

You Me At Six 

Eminem / Major Lazer / Two Door Cinema Club / Giggs / Circa Waves

Haim 

Muse / Chance The Rapper / KoRn / At The Drive-In / Architects 

FLUME

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I would say that just shows different festival catering to their audiences. Twin Atlantic will be higher up the bill in a Scottish festival than an English one. Flavour of the month indie/rock is generally higher in reading than glasto.

Even still, it's weak by R&L's own standards. Last year they had CHVRCHES, Courteeners and The Vaccines 3rd down, who are all bigger/more established than Blossoms. 4th down they had A$AP Rocky who plays arenas, and BBK who are headlining the Other Stage at Glastonbury this year alongside Major Lazer and alt-J. The previous year they had Bastille, Royal Blood and Jamie T, who were again all either bigger or more established.

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

No way should Blossoms be playing third down. They played The Engine Shed (our gig venue in Lincoln) a couple of weeks ago and didn't even sell it out. They should be fifth / fourth down at an absolute push. Liam should be third, not sub, or even NME headliner. 

I've given days a little shuffle and it makes way more sense, to me, anyway: 

Kasabian / Bastille / Liam Gallagher / Jimmy Eat World / Blossoms

You Me At Six 

Eminem / Major Lazer / Two Door Cinema Club / Giggs / Circa Waves

Haim 

Muse / Chance The Rapper / KoRn / At The Drive-In / Architects 

FLUME

Makes a lot more sense aye but I think Blossoms should defo be above JEW or Giggs.

11 hours ago, VCK said:

That's what I mean. His influence and achievements in music make him a much bigger name than most artists who have played the festival in recent years.

By the sounds of it, it's essentially going to be an hour of mostly Oasis songs, which I guess is fair enough regarding the sub slot. The idea of Liam Gallagher doing Oasis songs would sell out a tour.

Unfortunately I still don't think that without both it holds the weight you believe it does. I am with you though that as a name he's bigger than Serj but like the others I was meaning SOAD. Serj would have made it bigger on his own if he included SOAD songs as well in his set but after a 6th down Reading and an academy tour here that was that.

And that's what it should be, he'll get about an hour of material so around 13/14 songs depending on how much he banners with the crowd which every so often he'd be good to. Festival sets want crowd pleasers, your own gigs are for new material so I'd say two of the songs from his band that were received better, two from his new album and then 8/9 Oasis songs would make it an accomplished set.

Just now, thewayiam said:

Unfortunately I still don't think that without both it holds the weight you believe it does. I am with you though that as a name he's bigger than Serj but like the others I was meaning SOAD. Serj would have made it bigger on his own if he included SOAD songs as well in his set but after a 6th down Reading and an academy tour here that was that.

And that's what it should be, he'll get about an hour of material so around 13/14 songs depending on how much he banners with the crowd which every so often he'd be good to. Festival sets want crowd pleasers, your own gigs are for new material so I'd say two of the songs from his band that were received better, two from his new album and then 8/9 Oasis songs would make it an accomplished set.

Do you not think he will chuck a couple of Beady Eye songs in there? 

8 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Even still, it's weak by R&L's own standards. Last year they had CHVRCHES, Courteeners and The Vaccines 3rd down, who are all bigger/more established than Blossoms. 4th down they had A$AP Rocky who plays arenas, and BBK who are headlining the Other Stage at Glastonbury this year alongside Major Lazer and alt-J. The previous year they had Bastille, Royal Blood and Jamie T, who were again all either bigger or more established.

I am in agreement that the size of bands in particular slots is going down, a trend I believe will continue until there is another indie/rock boom in this country. 

My first reading was 2000 and you had bluetones, super furrys and rage 4th down, but the genre was bigger at that time.

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Do you not think he will chuck a couple of Beady Eye songs in there? 

Yes, and my post says that in the last 4 lines. Two from his band that were received better, two of his new record and then Oasis.

On your lineup of how it would look better, they cannot afford that. 

5 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Yes, and my post says that in the last 4 lines. Two from his band that were received better, two of his new record and then Oasis.

On your lineup of how it would look better, they cannot afford that. 

They cannot afford it? It's every band who are playing already, other than Chance. 

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I am in agreement that the size of bands in particular slots is going down, a trend I believe will continue until there is another indie/rock boom in this country. 

My first reading was 2000 and you had bluetones, super furrys and rage 4th down, but the genre was bigger at that time.

Maybe but the other two acts playing 3rd down this year are big enough for it. Blossoms are just a big old stinker.

20 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

As a sub he's going to play like 10 songs. He isn't going to play only 2 songs from his debut solo album that he's literally touring in support of. At most it'll be 50% Oasis songs.

Don't think he'll play that much new stuff, he knows better than anyone how well Oasis will go down and i think he'll probably get an 11/12 song set. So it'll probably be 1 or 2 beady eye songs, about 2 new songs that he's released as singles and then the rest will all be oasis.