2017 festival

kaosmark2

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

Yeah, so they are a decade away from headlining. I would have expected them to be second/third down on NME this year, no way near subbing main.

By new headliners I just want all acts to be making there way up the lineup. New headliners/co-headliners could be like CHVRCHES, The 1975, BMTH, Royal Blood, Pendulum, Chase & Status, Catfish & The Bottlemen, The XX, Skrillex, Kendrick Lamar, Chance The Rapper, alt-J, Justice. Don Bronco, Gorillaz, Disturbed and the Prodigy. 

Gorillaz have headlined Glastonbury, so hardly a "new" headliner. I always think of up and coming bands anyway, most of these are plenty established. Disturbed gave me a laugh though.

10 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

I don't think people have any problem with pushing new bands up the line up, they problem is when it's someone as boring and bland as Blossoms, terrible band. 

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. Although I'd argue that they're objectively not bland considering they're blending multiple genres. What new bands would you like to see the festivals pushing?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, thelemon said:

Gorillaz have headlined Glastonbury, so hardly a "new" headliner. I always think of up and coming bands anyway, most of these are plenty established. Disturbed gave me a laugh though.

Gorillaz would at least be a new booking for Reading, showing that they're willing to change it up a bit. And Disturbed is pretty far fetched as is a couple of others but hey, a man can dream right?

It's clear we are at the point now where you'll get a top line of headliners and a shit undercard....even less to see top line or a big top one day and less so others with an okay undercard depending on taste. 

The festival clearly doesn't have the money whether it's because of lack of day tickets sales/Leeds tickets generally....I imagine that has impacted it. They have over a couple of years now got to the point that other  £60/70 fests days do of giving you what you have paid for. Take Green Day for example for £70 at BST, you get Rancid, Gogol, The Hives and then some filler, bigger sub at Reading....not rarer though.

This line up is poor. No doubt about it but I feel it will sell well. I'm always amazed by the amount of people that just see two/three acts a day. Major Lazor into Eminem, Liam Gallagher into Muse and TDCC into Bastille into Kasabian will all appeal to a lot of people.  

IT's the same every announcement:

Announcement made: OMG WORST LINE UP EVER! MELVIN OUT ! RA RA RA.

Three hours after the announcement: Actually...

The eveing of the announcement: OMG! THESE ARE PLAYING, THEY'RE PLAYING ETC. THAT STAGE BANGS. IM                                                            SO HYPED.

Same cycle for the last 9 years. 

2 hours ago, GodlikeYeezus said:

Jake Bugg the sequel 

funny how things look with the benefit of hindsight - compared to the three Saturdays on the Main Stage since, that 2014 top five of Arctics, Jake Bugg, Imagine Dragons, Foster The People and The Hives almost begins to look vaguely appealing. Don't know that there'd have been so many complaints about that Sunday run of Blink-Macklemore-YMAS-ADTR if people had known what tragic rubbish would be booked for the equivalent slots three years later, either.

5 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Does anyone know why Grouplove are so low? I would have thought they were at least big enough to headline FR

Because they're really not that big or an act who many get excited about? Think that'd be a pretty empty FR tent if they were to headline it.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Because they're really not that big or an act who many get excited about? Think that'd be a pretty empty FR tent if they were to headline it.

Perhaps their high amount of Spotify listens are making me think they are bigger than they are 

Edited by CRW5252

3 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

I know they aren't massive but I still feel they are pretty well known and well liked. Surely they are bigger than Shame and Japandroids. 

Don't suppose they're that well known. Might be bigger than Shame who don't have an album I don't believe but not Japandroids.

Just now, CRW5252 said:

Perhaps their high amount Spotify listens are making me think they are bigger than they are 

Definitely. They had a song on an iPod advert that blew them up (see The Caesars also) and probably still gets a fair amount of play. I think their subsequent songs might have been hyped as a consequence but then nothing after that, really.

Friday main stage is the strongest part of the lineup. I have so many clashes on the Saturday and no strong headliner based on the clash finder and find Sunday extremely week, not much I'm already interested in but it could prove to be a good opportunity to discover some new music.

Friday: Palisades, Mallory Knox, Circa Waves, Jimmy Eat World, TDCC, Bastille or Dillon Francis, Kasabian (would've happily seen YMAS or Billy Talent too)

Saturday: Honeyblood, Moose Blood, PVRIS or Marmozets, Frank Carter, ATDD or Sundara Karma, Korn or Turbowolf, Everything Everything, While She Sleeps

Sunday: Against The Current or Jacob Plant, Architects, Milky Chance, Phantogram, Gnarwolves or LG, Muse

Any recommendations to check out in the huge gaps for Sunday?

I was expecting to look at the lineup today and be disappointed to see 30stm subbing muse and Skepta (not into that sorta thing) third down.

Somehow they've managed to give us Liam Gallagher, an artist who hasn't released an album yet and is subbing purely because of the band he was in a decade ago (and I am already seeing him at another festival where he is far lower on the bill), and nobody new to go third down. The fact that Blossoms are third down is laughable, I saw them playing to about 50 people on the bbc introducing stage last year (yes I know they also played on NME). 

I was hoping for something I could go and see instead of Bastille too but nothing seems to stand out to me. 

I actually burst out laughing when I saw that the Hunna were headlining FR. If you're if you're not interested in seeing Muse I really can't imagine many people picking the Hunna over Haim haha.

It managed to be even worse than I expected it to be :/

Edited by Twice

Leeds: 

Architects > Gnarwolves > Less Than Jake :ninja: 

Deap Vally > Mallory Knox > Puppy > WSTR > Tigers Jaw > Boston Manor > Jimmy Eat World > Arcane Roots > Dillon Francis > Billy Talent 

Casey > Moose Blood > PVRIS > Zeal and Ardor > Marmozets > Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes > At The Drive-In > KoRn > While She Sleeps

Friday is pathetic. Saturday is alright and Sunday is stacked. Sunday is the best day by far for me. 

The only day for Reading I'd be interested in is Friday, but I've seen most of the bands in the last 6 months...

I'd see:
The Magic Gang
Mallory Knox (seen recently)
Declan Mckenna
Circa Waves (seen recently)
JEW
TDC (seen recently)
Bastille
YMAS (seen recently)

Others on that day I'd see would be The amazons, Jagwar Ma

Looking at the line up there are only 5 acts that I would see and I haven't already. Danny Brown (who I might be seeing at Parklife anyway), Tigers Jaw, At The Drive-In, Casey (who I'm planning on seeing at Slam Dunk) and Vince Staples so not really going to bother with this year at all which is a shame.

Lock Up I ok. I like how diverse the Lock Up this year gender wise and some of the acts they booked are cool. Gnarwolves are great but I'll probably see them a few times this year anyway and PWR BTTM are well worth a listen. I need to listen to Muncie Girls actually as they seem like my kind of thing but still the acts they booked in previous years were bigger. The Pit Friday is ok but Sat is bad.

Friday:

Jimmy Eat World>Shy FX>The Amity Affliction>Fatboy Slim

Saturday:

Goldie>The Pretty Reckless>Marmozets>Delta Heavy>Jaguar Skills>Korn>Nosia>Andy C

Sunday:

Architects>Ash>Muse

I'm really struggling with the Sunday! Only put Muse because everyone rates them as a good band live!

To be honest there's still quite a few acts I would like to see on the line up, just the majority I've already seen or I'm not a massive fan of. 

Friday: Kurupt FM, Akala, God Damn, Prose, Tigers Jaw, Circa Waves, TDCC, Shy FX, Kasabian/Fatboy Slim

Saturday: Moose Blood, Cabbage, Frank Carter, Migos, Loyle Carner, Astroid Boys, Turbowolf, ATDI, Korn, Major Lazer, Eminem/Flume/Andy C/WSS/Black Lips/ Flatbush Zombies

Sunday : Gnarwolves, Architects, J hus, Dave, Wiley, Giggs, LG, Muse

I haven't taken clashes into account bar the headliners really so I won't see everyone I've listed, especially on the Saturday. Bit shit that the line up is as weak as it is this year, yet I still want to see every headliner on the Saturday night. 

I like this line up. I'm going to bin bloodstock for Leeds. Also BREAKING FUCKING BENJAMIN. Some of you uneducated plebs obviously don't know the gravity of them being there. Fear not, the awesome will dry up those tears.