2017 festival

kaosmark2

6 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Didn't realise RTJ were big enough to headline that stage but I'd happily take it. 

Blossoms, although a brilliant band with huge potential, are smaller than people realise I reckon. I'd be disappointed if they were headlining the NME but happy if they were 3rd/ 4th on the main stage if that makes sense.

My guess is that day is:

Main:
MUSE
Unknown
Unknown (Chance The Rapper?)
Blossoms

NME:
Unknown (Run The Jewels?)
Haim

RTJ and Haim could be switched, not sure which is bigger. Guessing that Halsey is then headlining the Festival Republic Stage and Giggs headlining the 1xtra. Could be a different combination but it would be such a weak day otherwise (though I guess that could make sense as imo Muse is probably a bigger draw than Kasabian so they can have a weaker lineup as they'll carry that day more.)

Edited by Mattymooz
Grammar

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

My guess is that day is:

Main:
MUSE
Unknown
Unknown (Chance The Rapper?)
Blossoms

NME:
Unknown (Run The Jewels?)
Haim

RTJ and Haim could be switched, not sure which is bigger. Guessing that Halsey is then headlining the Festival Republic Stage and Giggs headlining the 1xtra. Could be a different combination but it would be such a weak day otherwise (though I guess that could make sense as imo Muse is probably a bigger draw than Kasabian so they can have a weaker lineup as they'll carry that day more.)

Personally not a fan of muse at all so I'd want an alternative to go and see. Giggs was good last year even though he had a 1pm ish slot so idk if he's big enough to headline a stage still but you never know. RTJ would be perfect though, feel like they'd own the tent. 

The saturday for me is ideal with circa waves and two door personal favourites that are amazing live and bastille and kasabian being very good also, very much looking forward to that day

2 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Personally not a fan of muse at all so I'd want an alternative to go and see. Giggs was good last year even though he had a 1pm ish slot so idk if he's big enough to headline a stage still but you never know. RTJ would be perfect though, feel like they'd own the tent. 

The saturday for me is ideal with circa waves and two door personal favourites that are amazing live and bastille and kasabian being very good also, very much looking forward to that day

Are you not a fan of their music or them live? They are one of the best people I have ever seen live so (I do like their music though so who knows)

Giggs headlined the 1xtra stage in 2014 soooo.

4 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Are you not a fan of their music or them live? They are one of the best people I have ever seen live so (I do like their music though so who knows)

Giggs headlined the 1xtra stage in 2014 soooo.

Their music, i've never had the chance to see them live. If there;s no one else worth seeing them I would see them just because of how big they are, seeing a band live can sway your opinion so you never know. 

He got BBK on with him last year and was very good and don't get me wrong would no doubt draw a crowd if he headlined, just didn't think he'd be considered big enough to. saying that he was NME last year and 1xtra is smaller and more rap/grime based so would fit perfectly.

Giggs wasn't at 1pm. Was about middle of the running order rather than the start, iirc. And he's grown since so I suspect he'll be moving onto the main stage. Definitely won't be moving backwards if they're booking him in consecutive years.

Regarding Blossoms, I don't think it's inconceivable that they could play stupidly high, i.e. third, but Haim aren't gonna sub and they're gonna be ahead of Blossoms.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Giggs wasn't at 1pm. Was about middle of the running order rather than the start, iirc. And he's grown since so I suspect he'll be moving onto the main stage. Definitely won't be moving backwards if they're booking him in consecutive years.

Giggs played at 4:20pm last time, I get that the 1xtra stage is smaller a bumb from 4pm to 9pm or however late it would be doesn't seem too silly. People also insisted Fatboy Slim would be an NME headliner and we know thats not true now too.

EDIT: To put that in context that is 6th down on the NME

Edited by Mattymooz

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Regarding Blossoms, I don't think it's inconceivable that they could play stupidly high, i.e. third, but Haim aren't gonna sub and they're gonna be ahead of Blossoms.

Yea thinking about it it was more like 4pm but the point was he wasn't very high up. He's undoubtedly grown so would be higher up this time but it's very hard to predict exactly where to put him honestly just have to wait and see. 

Blossoms aren't as big as people think but are definitely on the up and could warrant a 2nd/3rd (depending on HAIM and others to be announced) on NME definitely or even 3rd/4th on main stage with the friday looking rather lack luster  

I've been lurking on this website since Reading 2016 finished and thought I may as well comment finally. It appears that a few of you think that Chance The Rapper is in with a shout of being at this years festival and I was wondering what the likelihood of Childish Gambino making an appearance is? I don't think he has been discussed recently although I could be wrong. He released "Awaken, My Love!" at the end of 2016 and for me, it was a solid album which I often find myself listening to. I've looked up his tour dates for this year and it doesn't appear that he's doing much other than a festival in America in June, I don't know if this makes him more or less likely to be at Reading but I reckon he'd fit in pretty well with current Reading attendees.

1 minute ago, Peskybee said:

I've been lurking on this website since Reading 2016 finished and thought I may as well comment finally. It appears that a few of you think that Chance The Rapper is in with a shout of being at this years festival and I was wondering what the likelihood of Childish Gambino making an appearance is? I don't think he has been discussed recently although I could be wrong. He released "Awaken, My Love!" at the end of 2016 and for me, it was a solid album which I often find myself listening to. I've looked up his tour dates for this year and it doesn't appear that he's doing much other than a festival in America in June, I don't know if this makes him more or less likely to be at Reading but I reckon he'd fit in pretty well with current Reading attendees.

Welcome!

I think with Gambino there's also the Donald Glover side of things to consider, and I know he's pushed his series Atlanta back because he can't find time for it in his schedule, what with that Han Solo movie coming out, so I think his shows as Childish Gambino will probably only be in the US, sadly.

The "Awaken, My Love!" songs on an R+L stage would be really kinda strange too, don't you think? I don't even know how he's gonna do the rap stuff and the soul stuff to equal proportions at his normal shows. Will be interesting to see, tho.

2 hours ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Yea thinking about it it was more like 4pm but the point was he wasn't very high up. He's undoubtedly grown so would be higher up this time but it's very hard to predict exactly where to put him honestly just have to wait and see. 

Blossoms aren't as big as people think but are definitely on the up and could warrant a 2nd/3rd (depending on HAIM and others to be announced) on NME definitely or even 3rd/4th on main stage with the friday looking rather lack luster  

You are kind of contradicting yourself by saying they aren't as big as people say then saying they have a chance to play 3rd down on main. They have so much hype surrounding them atm and are in a similar situation to Royal Blood a couple of years back (when they ended up playing third down). I'll be shocked if they are on NME again this year. I reckon they'll play 4th down on main. 

On 3/13/2017 at 8:09 PM, Yellow_Fellow said:

i don't think we'll get Mac DeMarco because it's so painfully obvious that the organisers will miss it, everyone else seems likely enough tho

Sadly, I'm not sure Mac DeMarco would fit in at Reading. I could see him getting a shockingly small crowd. He's not dissimilar to Whitney, who got an appealing crowd last year (they were quality though).

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Other days appear to go:

Main headliner / Main sub / NME headliner / Main 3rd

Muse day could be:

Muse / TBA (Chance/Skepta) / HAIM / Blossoms

Then shove in RTJ 4th Friday and The Kooks or some shite 4th Sunday.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

What?

You said Haim aren't gonna sub and they're gonna be above Blossoms. I was saying they could be NME headliner rather than sub if Blossoms do play 3rd down (as was being discussed), which in terms of how the poster is seemingly laid out on the other days would be classed as being above Blossoms.

I then gave an example of how it'd be laid out if a TBA sub was added in.

4 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

You said Haim aren't gonna sub and they're gonna be above Blossoms. I was saying they could be NME headliner rather than sub if Blossoms do play 3rd down (as was being discussed), which in terms of how the poster is seemingly laid out on the other days would be classed as being above Blossoms.

I then gave an example of how it'd be laid out if a TBA sub was added in.

But what image are you looking at that has it laid out like that? Korn and TDCC are before YMAS and Flume in the one I can see.

edit: oh look they've bumped up Migos to the second line. Dunno if they were really inconspicuous in that box below but fair does.

Edited by dentalplan

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

But what image are you looking at that has it laid out like that? Korn and TDCC are before YMAS and Flume in the one I can see.

edit: oh look they've bumped up Migos to the second line. Dunno if they were really inconspicuous in that box below but fair does.

Hahaha fuck you're right. I didn't look at the lineup to check, I was thinking of 2016's first poster. Ignore me.

18 minutes ago, Yellow_Fellow said:

i'm too close to the demographic to let that slide, he'd go down gr8 

I'm 20, so very much part of Reading's target demographic. Not many of my mates have even heard of him but of course that isn't a great representation of his popularity with younger people. From my experience, acts like Mac Demarco haven't gone down great at Reading but maybe he'll be an exception 

29 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I had Migos subbing NME anyways, though I guess maybe they could be headlining the 1Xtra stage.

50 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Other days appear to go:

Main headliner / Main sub / NME headliner / Main 3rd

Muse day could be:

Muse / TBA (Chance/Skepta) / HAIM / Blossoms

Then shove in RTJ 4th Friday and The Kooks or some shite 4th Sunday.

Looking at the other days and what people have guessed, it goes:

Headliner
Sub Main / Third Main / NME headline / Dance

This would mean that Haim would be subbing, blossoms third down, giggs headlining NME and marshmello on the dance. Marshmello makes sense, but other than that I think on they have just chucked stuff in randomly for this day.

At this point I'm pretty sure Blossoms will be 4th down on Main. Can't see them being bumped all the way up to third down. Yes they are hyped, but they haven't won awards or imo as hyped to the same extent that Royal Blood were when they played.

Can't see Haim being a big enough name to sub, play third down or headline the NME (compared to whats on the other days). They've done nothing for a couple of years and were subbing NME last year (and if anything people care less about them since, if we knew the new album would be out beforehand then maybe otherwise). 

Giggs definitely hasn't gone from 6th down NME to NME headline in one year.

58 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I had Migos subbing NME anyways, though I guess maybe they could be headlining the 1Xtra stage.

Looking at the other days and what people have guessed, it goes:

Headliner
Sub Main / Third Main / NME headline / Dance

This would mean that Haim would be subbing, blossoms third down, giggs headlining NME and marshmello on the dance. Marshmello makes sense, but other than that I think on they have just chucked stuff in randomly for this day.

At this point I'm pretty sure Blossoms will be 4th down on Main. Can't see them being bumped all the way up to third down. Yes they are hyped, but they haven't won awards or imo as hyped to the same extent that Royal Blood were when they played.

Can't see Haim being a big enough name to sub, play third down or headline the NME (compared to whats on the other days). They've done nothing for a couple of years and were subbing NME last year (and if anything people care less about them since, if we knew the new album would be out beforehand then maybe otherwise). 

Giggs definitely hasn't gone from 6th down NME to NME headline in one year.

Migos? Think they'll be main. There are two acts that could quite easily sub NME in Everything Everything and Glass Animals and they haven't been ramped up the poster, plus they could easier clash those with Eminem/Major Lazer. Migos won't be on 1xtra either, much too big at this point and again, clashing with Eminem or Major Lazer.

You're right it's unlikely Giggs will headline NME but he's definitely gonna get a bigger slot so main makes sense. But Haim are clearly gonna be above Blossoms so if you think Blossoms are big enough to do 4th down then Haim are already gonna be higher up than an NME sub slot. I think you're expecting way too many acts to be about to drop in with some of those shouts; I do think there are some prominent slots to be uncovered - mainly on Muse day - but the top of the poster isn't full of FR and 1xtra acts.

Here's a visual look at what I'm suggesting is more realistic:

KASABIAN, Bastille, Two Door Cinema Club, TBA (Run the Jewels?), Circa Waves, Mallory Knox/Rat Boy/(TBA)
NME: You Me at Six, Jimmy Eat World, Danny Brown*

EMINEM, Major Lazer, Korn, Migos, EE/GA, The Pretty Reckless
Flume, EE/GA, Sundara Karma*

MUSE, TBA (Chance the Rapper), Haim, Blossoms, Giggs, Architects
TBA, Halsey, Wiley or Charli XCX*

*TBA (Rag'n'Bone Man) instead of one of those NME thirds but it could be any day I guess.

edit: actually was thinking Rag'n'Bone Man could be higher up if they'd have known how big he would be but there are festivals booking him to headline already so it must have been coming all along. Maybe he's NME headliner against Muse lol

Edited by dentalplan

I think Blossoms will be 4th down on Main but I reckon they'd absolutely own the third spot. As has been pointed out they're supporting the Roses, and they're supporting the Courteeners at Old Trafford in May. They're pretty much inescapable atm, so I wouldn't be surprised if the were 3rd down.

Although they're almost definitely playing lower than HAIM.

3 hours ago, thelemon said:

I think Blossoms will be 4th down on Main but I reckon they'd absolutely own the third spot. As has been pointed out they're supporting the Roses, and they're supporting the Courteeners at Old Trafford in May. They're pretty much inescapable atm, so I wouldn't be surprised if the were 3rd down.

Although they're almost definitely playing lower than HAIM.

Yup and if Blossoms were 3rd down then I think we know how it goes for HAIM.