2017 festival

kaosmark2

24 minutes ago, VCK said:

Maybe in 2007.

You must be delirious to think Frank Turner is even nearly as popular as Jamie T is. On Jamie T's last tour it was a complete sell out playing venues of the same size or larger than Frank did on his last tour, which half the dates didn't sell out on.

Also with the demographic Reading targets Jamie T is definitely more popular.

Edited by Little Sparrow

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, VCK said:

Paramore, Florence and The Black Keys were all very big names in 2012, that year had a strong top six.

I remember a few people surprised to see The Libertines subbing rather than outright headlining, same with Pulp and SOAD.

Still in 14, VW had done arena's and so had Bugg....plus the two co-headliners were much bigger than two of the co-headliners last year. 13, SOAD, while a big sub on a GD day, they were still not big enough to outright headline themselves, NIN was a reformation.

Pulp tbf co-headlined but only subbed everywhere else. The Libs would have been mostly liked if they could rely on it happening and never thought SOAD would headline. Should they bring out this new album and it do well and stay away from a big arena tour then yes.

1 hour ago, Little Sparrow said:

You must be delirious to think Frank Turner is even nearly as popular as Jamie T is. On Jamie T's last tour it was a complete sell out playing venues of the same size or larger than Frank did on his last tour, which half the dates didn't sell out on.

Also with the demographic Reading targets Jamie T is definitely more popular.

Don't you mean 'delusional'?

Really though I'd probably say they're roughly similar sized in terms of album sales. Frank is one of those artists who have a relationship with the festival too, so I could see them giving him a slot as high as 3rd if they wanted to.

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

VCK literally lives in 2007.

And in my timeline Muse are still relevant.

;)

Everyone seems to be talking about bands who are gonna play sub but does anyone know which smaller bands could be playing further down?

I had a look through the other festivals in Europe at R&L time and i wouldn't mind seeing artists like First Aid Kit, Palace, Denzel Curry, Vince Staples, Mac Demarco, Mura Masa, Sampha... any of those unlikely for any reason and what kind of stage/position would they be on?

This threads kinda hard to follow but am I right in thinking it's likely to be Chance or Skepta subbing with Major Lazer and Bastille the other two? Personally not a fan (anymore at least) but I'm guessing Mumford & Sons are too big to be subbing or they don't fit R&L style because they seem to be the biggest band playing around this time? Other big artists i've seen are playing are The Kooks, The xx, Alt-J, Cypress Hill, Birdy, Elbow, London Grammar.

Sorry for all the questions just curious about whose playing and i don't know much about this

27 minutes ago, LRRP said:

Everyone seems to be talking about bands who are gonna play sub but does anyone know which smaller bands could be playing further down?

I had a look through the other festivals in Europe at R&L time and i wouldn't mind seeing artists like First Aid Kit, Palace, Denzel Curry, Vince Staples, Mac Demarco, Mura Masa, Sampha... any of those unlikely for any reason and what kind of stage/position would they be on?

This threads kinda hard to follow but am I right in thinking it's likely to be Chance or Skepta subbing with Major Lazer and Bastille the other two? Personally not a fan (anymore at least) but I'm guessing Mumford & Sons are too big to be subbing or they don't fit R&L style because they seem to be the biggest band playing around this time? Other big artists i've seen are playing are The Kooks, The xx, Alt-J, Cypress Hill, Birdy, Elbow, London Grammar.

Sorry for all the questions just curious about whose playing and i don't know much about this

problem with guessing the undercard nowadays is it makes basically no fucking sense and all the obvious bookings just kinda don't happen. 

i don't think we'll get Mac DeMarco because it's so painfully obvious that the organisers will miss it, everyone else seems likely enough tho

think the rest is correct but tbh this year i've lost so much care in the fest i haven't been keeping up 

6 hours ago, jakecase said:

De La Soul announced for House of Commons day after festival finishes... possibility??

Nah. Would be wasted at R+L playing to barely anyone.

36 minutes ago, LRRP said:

Iss okay. That first bunch of names seem mostly likely; Mac is exclusive elsewhere tho and I think First Aid Kit might have played before but I don't think they'd fit in a conspicuous slot nowadays.

edit: also on the EOTR bill - Parquet Courts start their tour of the UK w/ no Leeds date the day after R+L so I think that could happen.

The thing about the sub is just our best guess really with there being good reason to hold them two back, could be loads of acts and could also be nobody.

Edited by dentalplan

13 hours ago, LRRP said:

M&S headlined in 2015 so pretty much zero chance they'd be subbing now. Alt-J or The xx seem most likely out of those you mentioned. 

http://www.nme.com/news/music/muse-recorded-three-new-songs-london-recording-studio-2016810

Looks like Muse might have at least a couple of new songs to play at the festivals which makes their booking look a little less shit/pointless (assuming they release these songs this year and aren't just keeping them for an album further down the line).

5 hours ago, AdamJansson88 said:

Could the 1975 be subbing Muse? I know they only played last year but with them booking TDCC again its not impossible, plus they're headlining Latitude like Alt-J did in 2015 so they could've been held back?

Latitude headline show is the last night of this tour

21 hours ago, LRRP said:

Wombats absolutely killed it last year but I feel like they'd have been announced by now but would love them back.

Looking at the line up leeds still needs an NME headliner for friday and sunday with chance potentially gaining one of those slots. I'd be very very happy with Skepta, kooks and the xx being announced to play but the likelihood is you can expect one of these with how disappointing it's been so far but you never know!

In terms of smaller bands spring king and also the japanese house were rumoured I believe and would be boss but the likelihood is that you can't expect anyone too big now to be announced for the main stage if it's the same as last year as by this point the only ones left to be announced I believe. Acts like Denzel Curry,Vince Staples, watsky and post malone would most likely be 1xtra candidates and would be a great addition in my opinion.

Edited by MIchael_scarn

20 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Wombats absolutely killed it last year but I feel like they'd have been announced by now but would love them back.

Looking at the line up leeds still needs an NME headliner for friday and sunday with chance potentially gaining one of those slots. I'd be very very happy with Skepta, kooks and the xx being announced to play but the likelihood is you can expect one of these with how disappointing it's been so far but you never know!

In terms of smaller bands spring king and also the japanese house were rumoured I believe and would be boss but the likelihood is that you can't expect anyone too big now to be announced for the main stage if it's the same as last year as by this point the only ones left to be announced I believe. Acts like Denzel Curry,Vince Staples, watsky and post malone would most likely be 1xtra candidates and would be a great addition in my opinion.

Flume is likely to be headlining the NME stage on Sunday at Leeds.

The main gaps imo are all on the Friday at Leeds - Main sub & third, NME headliner. If I had to guess I would put chance thrid down main, but maybe NME headliner too.

8 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Flume is likely to be headlining the NME stage on Sunday at Leeds.

The main gaps imo are all on the Friday at Leeds - Main sub & third, NME headliner. If I had to guess I would put chance thrid down main, but maybe NME headliner too.

I completely forgot about flume that's probably a shout. 

The friday is really weak right now, Royal blood and twenty one pilots have been thrown around but the likelihood of them is incredibly small. The kooks would be quite a good second or third act imo or kaiser chiefs but I haven't seen much rumours about either of them being at the festival. Hard to predict where they're gonna go with that day 

The one thing that keeps worrying me is that, although that line up is weak, I can't think of who would have those spaces that would want to not be announced yet. There is no way I can see Haim/blossoms/giggs in any of the slots I previously mentioned, but people like Royal Blood, 21 pilots, the kooks etc. have no reason why they wouldnt have just been announced last time

EDIT: Based on the GSS announcement it is pretty likely Run The Jewels will be headlining the NME on that day, but again I ain't really sure why they weren't announced last time

Edited by Mattymooz

4 minutes ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

I fully expect Blossoms to be far too high when it comes to the final line up 

We'll Kasabian have Bastille as a sub and TDCC who aren't really anything much now but Muse are a much bigger band, not quite what they were but still. I don't see Blossoms being below 3rd at all and they weren't going to headline NME.

I know Eminem us bigger than both but they want a strong day that will sell well from the off.

44 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

The one thing that keeps worrying me is that, although that line up is weak, I can't think of who would have those spaces that would want to not be announced yet. There is no way I can see Haim/blossoms/giggs in any of the slots I previously mentioned, but people like Royal Blood, 21 pilots, the kooks etc. have no reason why they wouldnt have just been announced last time

EDIT: Based on the GSS announcement it is pretty likely Run The Jewels will be headlining the NME on that day, but again I ain't really sure why they weren't announced last time

Didn't realise RTJ were big enough to headline that stage but I'd happily take it. 

Blossoms, although a brilliant band with huge potential, are smaller than people realise I reckon. I'd be disappointed if they were headlining the NME but happy if they were 3rd/ 4th on the main stage if that makes sense.

Edited by MIchael_scarn