2017 festival

kaosmark2

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear this is one w*nky line-up, though it's actually turned out alright for me with Kasabian have ending up doing Saturday in Leeds & JEW being on the same day. Danny Brown and Circa Waves too is alright for starters and I guess it can (probably) only get better. 

Are we assuming Bastille are subbing them? 

That Muncie Girls cover of Maiden's The Wicker Man isn't half-bad, when I think about it.

Reading and Leeds is certainly making a play towards the V Festival generation crowd in a way - or perhaps the new Wireless fandom. Plenty of acts cropping up who would be usual suspects at Wireless.

And yeah, the longer I look at it, the more that other names on there intrigue me..

It just feels like there's so much potential being wasted. I know they've got to appeal to the younger generation, because it is the sixteen-year-olds on their first festival that are associated with R+L.

But there's absolutely no reason why booking, say, Iggy Pop third on the Main underneath Muse, wouldn't be a bad call. Cross-generational appeal, respected live performer, something a bit different from the same EDM-tinted pop and indie-cock-rock that tends to turn up.

In all fairness, I don't think many of the bookings are bad. I just feel there could be stronger artists available.

Presumably, we think that 30STM are going to be announced at a later date to sub Muse? Makes logical sense when their American tour together is going to be split for these shows alone.

34 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

That Muncie Girls cover of Maiden's The Wicker Man isn't half-bad, when I think about it.

Reading and Leeds is certainly making a play towards the V Festival generation crowd in a way - or perhaps the new Wireless fandom. Plenty of acts cropping up who would be usual suspects at Wireless.

And yeah, the longer I look at it, the more that other names on there intrigue me..

It just feels like there's so much potential being wasted. I know they've got to appeal to the younger generation, because it is the sixteen-year-olds on their first festival that are associated with R+L.

But there's absolutely no reason why booking, say, Iggy Pop third on the Main underneath Muse, wouldn't be a bad call. Cross-generational appeal, respected live performer, something a bit different from the same EDM-tinted pop and indie-cock-rock that tends to turn up.

In all fairness, I don't think many of the bookings are bad. I just feel there could be stronger artists available.

Presumably, we think that 30STM are going to be announced at a later date to sub Muse? Makes logical sense when their American tour together is going to be split for these shows alone.

Iggy Pop would get a crowd of about 10 people at R&L.

I doubt 30STM will be there. They're probably not gonna come over here just for these shows and there'd be no reason to hold them back. I think Skepta or Chance the Rapper will be below Muse, although Chance doesn't feel big enough to me.

Not enough women and coloureds on the line-up! Too many white men with guitars! I'm triggered! Also, why aren't my favourite bands Arctic Monkeys, Catfish and Peace playing?!

On a serious note, looks like Bastille will sub then. Would You Me At Six play as low down as 4th or are they nailed on to headline the NME? Looks like there is an opening for the sub to Muse. They're one of those acts who anyone could sub to and they wouldn't look out of place. So take your pick from Royal Blood, alt-J, 30 Seconds To Mars, Tame Impala, The XX and The Prodigy, all who have a good chance of being booked.

Also any chance of Death Grips?

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

So what are we looking at? 

Kasabian / Bastille / TDCC 

YMAS 

Eminem / ML / KoRn 

FLUME 

Muse / ??? (surely) / HAIM 

??? (because Blossoms, Giggs, Marshmello and Halsey sure aren't NME headliners) 

Kasabian, Bastille, Two Door Cinema Club
You Me At Six

Eminem, Major Lazer, Chance The Rapper
Flume, Korn

Muse, Skepta, Enter Shikari
HAIM

I'm sure that I'm completely out of touch with reality but that's what I'm hoping for... hear me out about that Saturday. Korn is such an oddity for Saturday so far, plus I just don't see R&L waiting all this time to book them to then giving them a 45 minute slot on Main. Surely they must know giving them an hour in NME would work so so much better! Flume could do it on his own easy but the Closing Set tag does no real harm? Means punters could to Major Lazer into Flume or go back to 1999 and see Korn into Eminem. 

Skepta, Chance & Stormzy held back because of Wireless. ES held back cause Slam Dunk (possibly are exclusive tho?). 

Edited by JSmurphy

3 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Personally, yes it does (heck, I really hate Eminem and I'll skip Kasabian for Flume). If you think about it probably like £40/£50 on the camping for the week, that leaves like £190 for the acts. You're gonna see what like 25 acts over the weekend minimum? So like £8 an act? Even if you go and see the smallest indie artists every day I still think thats worth cause you're gonna find so much new music and bands that you'll like and listen to

Your maths is a bit dodgy, surely if camping costs £40-50 then it's £170-160 for the lineup. There are also other expenses to consider like the excessive price of alcohol and food in the arena but I guess you can avoid them. 25 acts is pretty ambitious but it is possible. Every festival is good value when you compare it to the price at gigs so that point is redundant. It just isn't good value compared to other festivals. For example, tramlines is just £46 for the 3 day weekend (can be cheaper if you get tickets earlier) and the Libertines are headlining. That alone makes it pretty much worth it but they still have 2 more headliners to announce and a lot of the undercard. The undercard is strong so far as well with the likes of Metronomy, Twin Atlantic, Cabbage, among others. It's worth noting there is no camping at tramlines but it's still great value. 

There is plenty of music to discover at every festival, that isn't something unique to Reading. If you are going to Reading to discover new indie and rock bands then there are better and cheaper festivals out there this year. If you are going for the headliners then that's when it becomes better value at Reading. Unfortunately for me I'm not particularly interested in any of the headliners and I'm not a fan of dance and hip-hop which makes going a massive waste of money.  

Edited by CRW5252

I don't normally get annoyed at one or two acts being announced that I don't like because I just think I'll just not watch them, but 30 Seconds To Mars are such a horrible, horrible band. There is literally nothing interesting about them, not a single good thing. I've heard they're pretty shite live as well.

mWQXNso.png

I'm guessing this is what we have? It was really hard to place people for the Friday as a lot of them sound similar. Grouplove I kinda didn't know where to put either so just kinda guessed as then at least that would be one good rocky alternative to Eminem. Was difficult to place Haim/Giggs/Blossoms too

EDIT: Forgot to change the header on the poster to 2017 not 2016.....

Edited by Mattymooz

24 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

mWQXNso.png

I havent had much of a thought about places but here's some that come to mind. friday main looks right except need to swap jimmy eat world and billy talent. Think danny brown will be nme also.

Saturday main I would swap pretty reckless and everything everything around. Same with while she sleeps and marmozets. Id put cabbage above moose blood as well.

Milky chance that high on main? Surely nme stage. Haim will get a decent slot on main. Probably third from top. Blossoms below them and Architects before them. Would stick against the current below Architects also. They played a high slot at download so guess will do the same here. Would say the hunna on nme. 

Saturday and Sunday lockup = whaaaat. Sherlocks for low main imo

Edited by SOAD

36 minutes ago, thelemon said:

I don't normally get annoyed at one or two acts being announced that I don't like because I just think I'll just not watch them, but 30 Seconds To Mars are such a horrible, horrible band. There is literally nothing interesting about them, not a single good thing. I've heard they're pretty shite live as well.

A Beautiful Lie and This Is War are two cracking records. Not even ashamed to say it. I'd love to see them under Muse.

10 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

A Beautiful Lie and This Is War are two cracking records. Not even ashamed to say it. I'd love to see them under Muse.

To be fair album 1 had some really great stuff on it and 4 had a couple of decent ones. In particular Birth into Conquistador. Shame about their live show. Half the time its incredible. The other half completely awful.

Flatbush will be in the NME or they'll sub the 1xtra. Theyve got a lot more popular since their album release. Can't wait to see them. (Think they were 3rd down 1xtra last time)

Edit: Turns out they subbed 1xtra in 15, they'll be mid nme this year.

Edited by Hawky

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Get Neck Deep subbing them. 

Matt gave me a (via his Dad who taught me how to play bass) ticket to their Ally Pally gig. I'm still certain they are playing Glasto. I'll unleash info but am flying to Bali the day after so wi-fi permitting

7 minutes ago, VCK said:

Just seen that The Prodigy are playing at Open Air Festival in Zurich on the 26th of August - which is the Saturday of this year's R&L. I reckon they could be a possibility for the sub spot before Muse.

Can't imagine they'd do three days on the trot and having to go UK > Zurich > UK to do it.