2017 festival

kaosmark2

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be getting old.. I've heard of barely anyone on the lineup.

The bands in the 'bigger' text used to be the subheadliners, 3rd downs that everyone had heard of, these seem so uninspiring.. Am I really reading that Haim and Major Lazer will likely be subbing? Flume, Andy C, Blossoms, Giggs, Marshmellow, Helsey..? :|

Have seen all of the headliners 3+ times each and they're all good live and good at what they do but seems this is where all the budget for the entire festival went.

This may be the first time I give the festival a complete miss in many years.

23 minutes ago, deadash321 said:

Reckon this is confirmation that there is a pit stage this year or do we think he's referring to his pit set last year? 

IMG_5197.PNG

He was on Main Stage last year. This tweet is referring to "the pit" during his Main Stage set, not "The Pit" stage. 

Edited by Pop Punk Sucks

2 hours ago, Cammers said:

In my eyes.. that still leaves them open for R&L.

It would have to be Leeds Fri / Reading Sun because of SW4.

Subbing Muse?

Edit: Assuming Knife Party play fairly early on Sunday at SW4 (which is doubtful) and then its a quick pop over from Camden to Reading to meet up with the rest of the band. Maybe it's not possible after all.

2 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Pendulum are doing Saturday at SW4
Knife Party (Rob and Gareth) are doing Sunday at SW4
Pendulum DJ Set (MC Verse and El Hornet) will do Friday or Sunday at Creamfields

Theyre doing sunday at cream so i think that rules them out. Theyre subbing a stage by the looks of it

They wouldn't scrap The Pit/Lock Up on all 3 days overnight. If it does go, which is a big IF, it would be gradual. Maybe 1 day of it in 1 year features slightly more NME bands or bands that could easily be on mainstream radio.

So for example 1 day could be something like: 

Tonight Alive

Mallory Knox

Young Guns

Pulled Apart By Horses

VANT

Dinosaur Pile Up

Muncie Girls

Black Foxxes

Enough of a rock stage to avoid too many people shitting their pants, as well as bands that are given a lot of press by the right magazines, but a clear gradual move away from what would traditionally be on that stage all day. 

Edited by Pop Punk Sucks

2 hours ago, supasum said:

Knew that was coming, rock and indie I should have said. 
What Reading were producing even in 2012/13 

Kendal/Y Not & to a lesser extent Truck will eventually grow to fill that void. 4/5 years down the line I reckon Kendal and Y Not will be around 60,000 capacity at least. That's where 'rock and indie' bands will be getting booked. As for R&L who knows what they'll be booking 5 years down the line, Muse probably. 

21 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

They wouldn't scrap The Pit/Lock Up on all 3 days overnight. If it does go, which is a big IF, it would be gradual. Maybe 1 day of it in 1 year features slightly more NME bands or bands that could easily be on mainstream radio.

So for example 1 day could be something like: 

Tonight Alive

Mallory Knox

Young Guns

Pulled Apart By Horses

VANT

Dinosaur Pile Up

Muncie Girls

Black Foxxes

Enough of a rock stage to avoid too many people shitting their pants, as well as bands that are given a lot of press by the right magazines, but a clear gradual move away from what would traditionally be on that stage all day. 

To be honest, doing this for 1 day would bring better crowds and shift more tickets

2 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

Download?

Look at the main stage especially for Download last year and try justify that as as a rock festival instead of a metal fest with a rock side. Friday this year is nearly metal through and 2nd stage Sunday. The only reason it's not worse is because they've used the other one's until next year.

SORRY, RANT POST INCOMING

4 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

Does that make the £210 tickets worth it? If you are not a fan of the headliners this year, it is hard to justify spending that much money on a ticket. 

Personally, yes it does (heck, I really hate Eminem and I'll skip Kasabian for Flume). If you think about it probably like £40/£50 on the camping for the week, that leaves like £190 for the acts. You're gonna see what like 25 acts over the weekend minimum? So like £8 an act? Even if you go and see the smallest indie artists every day I still think thats worth cause you're gonna find so much new music and bands that you'll like and listen to

2 hours ago, thelemon said:

I think R&L are confused about their demographic

I like how there are always complaints about the amount of people under 20 at r+l but yet people also get confused when they start pulling in acts that people of that age range like. It's almost like there may be another demographic bigger than the one you're in.... Admittedly I would love more of the rocky acts and less of the hip-hop (rap and stuff really aint my scene) but I'm not going to complain that rap/grime/hip-hop is having a bigger presence.

2 hours ago, GoonerByron said:

I must be getting old.. I've heard of barely anyone on the lineup.

The bands in the 'bigger' text used to be the subheadliners, 3rd downs that everyone had heard of, these seem so uninspiring.. Am I really reading that Haim and Major Lazer will likely be subbing? Flume, Andy C, Blossoms, Giggs, Marshmellow, Helsey..? :|

(not picking on you in particular just this comment highlights many issues with the talk on this sub) I hate this whole "Oh I hate that I don't know anyone on this lineup" followed by "All the subheadliners were lower down the lineup years ago".... It's almost like bands get more popular over time and older bands end up fading away. Surely it's a good thing to see lots of new talent? This opinion is also completely contradictory to the "This is so uninspired" attitude. They are literally booking acts that you have never heard of - how can new music by new acts not be exciting??? I agree the subheadliners aren't the best for me, but I'm sure I can find other stuff to listen to going on at the same time. I agree if Haim subheadlines that is BS, they were scheduled to play 3rd down NME last year and now after a year of doing nothing somehow they've been upgraded to sub?

Edited by Mattymooz

13 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

It's almost like there may be another demographic bigger than the one you're in.... 

Is this targeted at me? Literally in the post you quoted I said I liked the lineup. All I was saying is I think R&L are trying to target too many people which is why there's always going to be so many complaints. People on here generally lean towards the alt. rock/nu metal scene that the festival used to be known for and everyone on the social media seems to be into the dance/grime. Then you've got loads of people (I probably fit most into this category but I like a bit of everything) who want more indie music and don't like to see the more mainstream acts. They're trying to cater to everyone, and they do a pretty good job imo of getting little bits of it all, but it's physically not possible to get the amount of metal acts that the metal fans want, the grime acts that the grime fans want etc.

6 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Becky Hill is not an indie band, she's a talent show reject who had one hit with a feature on a naff song three years ago 

Not really true though, is it, she's been a consistently featured vocalists on great tunes from the likes of Matoma, MK, Rudimental and Wilkinson, as well as the Oliver Heldens song I guess you refer to (hard to know which 'one hit' you mean though given she had two big top ten hits) - and besides all the chart stats the fact remains she has a superb voice and has released some pretty interesting pop tunes. That was a bit of an easy pot shot, tbh.

The announcement..I was considering a day ticket but the acts I would want to see could literally not have been split between the three days any cleaner, so a no go I expect.

What I do agree with you on Zac is the surprise Everything Everything annoucement, wasn't considering them for anything at all!

16 minutes ago, thelemon said:

Is this targeted at me? Literally in the post you quoted I said I liked the lineup. All I was saying is I think R&L are trying to target too many people which is why there's always going to be so many complaints. People on here generally lean towards the alt. rock/nu metal scene that the festival used to be known for and everyone on the social media seems to be into the dance/grime. Then you've got loads of people (I probably fit most into this category but I like a bit of everything) who want more indie music and don't like to see the more mainstream acts. They're trying to cater to everyone, and they do a pretty good job imo of getting little bits of it all, but it's physically not possible to get the amount of metal acts that the metal fans want, the grime acts that the grime fans want etc.

Not at you, just really venting at the fact that everyone seems to be really cranky with this lineup here. I expected lots of people to be angry but not for it to be so dominantly "This is awful" when compared to last year I think this one is a ton better.

One thing I do agree with is that whoever designed this poster must have messed up with the Sunday. On all the other days afaik there is the sub, third, nme head and dance head in the 2nd size font. For the Sunday, Marshmello is obviously the Dance headliner (again weird that he was booked as the headliner when Dillon Francis who is easily larger isn't but OK). Haim or Blossoms are maybe potentials for third down but even that is a bit of a stretch, nor can I see either of them headlining the NME. Giggs and Halsey I have no clue where to put. Halsey maybe subbing NME and giggs just got lucky and got big letters cause they didn't want to announce other stuff as it clashes with wireless?

Does anyone else feel that they need to change the format of these announcements? Headliners seem to always be predictable and the rest just underwhelming. Larger announcements would create a whole lot more hype around the festival, giving people more to talk about which would surely be more positive. 

5 minutes ago, tame said:

Does anyone else feel that they need to change the format of these announcements? Headliners seem to always be predictable and the rest just underwhelming. Larger announcements would create a whole lot more hype around the festival, giving people more to talk about which would surely be more positive. 

It was a large announcement. 70+ acts!

If anything I'd advocate the opposite. Dripfeeding a handful of acts every week or so like Werchter and Nos do and the poster builds up so gradually that you don't really get as bitterly disappointed as seeing all the acts at once, like.

10 minutes ago, tame said:

Completely agree- I feel stumped at the moment because I was hyped to see Muse and Kasabian at my first full Leeds, and I love all the indie bands announced like Cabbage/Sundara Karma, but the subs, apart from Bastille and TDCC, fail to get my pulse racing. Is anyone else waiting to see what Latitude yields before deciding?