2017 festival

kaosmark2

2 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

As someone who saw Kygos show at Wireless, I really hope it's not. Also, if we do go with what Will said and say that Fatboy Slim and Flume are headlining, I highly doubt it's another electronic act. Plus I would expect Kygo to play at Creamfields at some point too.

2 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Could be a shout but I would imagine it'll be a band up against Eminem. Flume would work okay I guess but if we're assuming Eminem is Sat/Sun then that'd mean Kygo up against him which I don't see. If it isn't Bastille or Korn up against him I think it'll be another band such as YMAS or Shikari. Gotta have something for your guitar music fans on the top two stages at R&L, surely?

Yeah fair enough guys. Was thinking it didn't stop them in 2015 but the headliner set was a bit different.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Reading's lack of female representation is more laziness than malice, it's a lot easier for Glastonbury as they can fill the lineup with artists like Adele and Ellie Goulding, whereas Reading has to cater for a (slightly) more niche market. The reason I feel it is an issue though is that I would hate a young girl to see the constant stream of male bands and feel there's a music scene that doesn't represent them, whereas if they look up and see Marmozets or Angel Olsen and feel inspired to pick up a guitar, or see Little Simz and Lady Leshurr inspired to work on lyrics and production, then not only will female representation at festivals grow but we'll get a healthier music scene in general.

4 hours ago, MattDavies__ said:

Eh? That's pretty much exactly how festival undercards work (or, at least the majority of them) 

True if you look at it within a genre. When you let other guiding factors dictate what bands are booked then you'll be putting on stuff that the audience doesn't want or like. and then there will be no audience. And then there will be no festival. Anyways, it's all way too early for idiot sites like that to be given any credence, if they ever should be at all.

27 minutes ago, devilman said:

True if you look at it within a genre. When you let other guiding factors dictate what bands are booked then you'll be putting on stuff that the audience doesn't want or like. and then there will be no audience. And then there will be no festival. Anyways, it's all way too early for idiot sites like that to be given any credence, if they ever should be at all.

What makes you think people wouldn't like the bands with women in that they could put on? Other festivals seem to do a better job without suffering.

4 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

TBH I just really hope Flume isn't up against Muse cause I'll have no idea who I'll see. Hoping he's up against Kasbaian.

Fatboy Slim and Muse both have Friday Reading/Saturday Leeds on their tour dates and they'll both for sure be closing NME/Main respectively, so you shouldn't have to worry about that. Flume will be headlining NME against Eminem or Kasabian.

Really fucking bleak going through this thread and seeing a bunch of people not only ignorant to the inequality of "the scene" but annoyed to the point of anger that anyone dare mention it.

Bet it's really easy to dismiss it when you've never been a victim of it. 

35 minutes ago, dip said:

Really fucking bleak going through this thread and seeing a bunch of people not only ignorant to the inequality of "the scene" but annoyed to the point of anger that anyone dare mention it.

Yeah I found this incredibly pathetic. Especially as, as you say, it's coming from males who've probably never been a victim of discrimination on the grounds of gender or anything else.

24 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Yeah I found this incredibly pathetic. Especially as, as you say, it's coming from males who've probably never been a victim of discrimination on the grounds of gender or anything else.

To be fair, most people on both sides of the argument have agreed that it isn't discrimination.Its just that festivals need to make a concerted effort to book more bands with females.

At no stage, until this post, was anyone suggesting that it was a deliberate attempt to block females.

2 hours ago, dip said:

Try being Jewish. All we have in contemporary music is the bloke from Vampire Weekend, and Drake who will never play R&L anyway. ;)

Edited by VCK

1 hour ago, rivalschools.price said:

To be fair, most people on both sides of the argument have agreed that it isn't discrimination.Its just that festivals need to make a concerted effort to book more bands with females.

At no stage, until this post, was anyone suggesting that it was a deliberate attempt to block females.

I didn't say there was a deliberate attempt to block females. My post wasn't supposed to make it look like I was saying the festival is discriminating against women. But if someone has never been discriminated against they're more likely to be able to happily ignore something like a gender imbalance in an industry.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I'd started to think the Eminem info was wrong what with him not having announced anything else yet and was half expecting Royal Blood and another to take the final slot but I guess if it's coming from multiple directions it's more than likely happening (unless the second one is bullshitting).

I've seen rumours of a new release coming from Eminem, and if that's correct (I've not looked into it) that defo puts him in the frame.

That aside, I remain confident in what I was told months ago, that he's headlining. The other 2 headliners I was told by the same source have been right.

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I've seen rumours of a new release coming from Eminem, and if that's correct (I've not looked into it) that defo puts him in the frame.

That aside, I remain confident in what I was told months ago, that he's headlining. The other 2 headliners I was told by the same source have been right.

And tbf Muse didn't seem likely at all so I would assume the info is correct as that would have been one lucky guess.

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Plus who else is there that's even in the frame as potential headliners?

Although Eminem should be headlining, there's not much of a hip-hop presence otherwise, only Tory Lanez and Danny Brown. Anyone see someone like Big Sean going maybe 3rd down or is that unlikely considering there is a hip-hop headliner? He seemed a possible to me considering the Detroit influence from both Eminem and Danny Brown and the fact he is releasing his new album in the next few days. His US album tour should end around the end of April so he could be over here for summer as he did come over in 2015 after the release of his last album. If not are there any other american rappers people think could come R+L? 

2 minutes ago, LRRP said:

Although Eminem should be headlining, there's not much of a hip-hop presence otherwise, only Tory Lanez and Danny Brown. Anyone see someone like Big Sean going maybe 3rd down or is that unlikely considering there is a hip-hop headliner? He seemed a possible to me considering the Detroit influence from both Eminem and Danny Brown and the fact he is releasing his new album in the next few days. His US album tour should end around the end of April so he could be over here for summer as he did come over in 2015 after the release of his last album. If not are there any other american rappers people think could come R+L? 

There'll be loads of hip hop - it's something Reading and Leeds still does really well. I think Vince Staples is around at the time and he's grown a lot since his last performance so should be quite likely. Don't think Big Sean would feature that high up as he's still to crack the UK properly, but might feature lower down on the NME or something if he's around. But yeah, certainly needn't worry about a lack of hip hop.

2 hours ago, LRRP said:

He seemed a possible to me considering the Detroit influence

R&L don't book bands or artists on influence. They have a wall of artists currently touring & they fire Nerf guns at random at the wall & whatever they hit gets booked if the moneys ok