2017 festival

kaosmark2

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad I don't consider going to R&L anymore so I don't have to be disappointed by that shiter of an announcement.

*Waits for Kemosabe to come and tell me off for posting shit about a festival I'm not going to*

On the subject of Kemosabe he coincidentally lived in the building next to me at uni last year and we went for a drink once. Also bumped into him on a night out and we ended up at mine blasting Muse and Kendrick in the kitchen until 8am. Also bumped into him at Vince Staples at Glasto last year. Boy gets everywhere.

/anecdote

Seen all the headliners announced so far and most of the subs/smaller acts, quite disappointed in all honesty, even though muse and kasabian are very good live. I was really hoping for someone like death grips or DJ shadow or something along those lines instead of rat boy for the 67th fucking time 

Edited by Idioteque18

10 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Lots of people calling the anouncement uninspiring. What counts as inspiring for R&L anouncements these days?

Not Fatboy Slim. My genuine reaction was, "It isn't 1998 anymore." Just seems a weird booking to me. I'm guessing he will be an NME headliner. Or, could he perhaps be subbing Kasabian? I know they're huge fans of his and have covered Praise You for years, so maybe they requested him to sub them similar to how Chase & Status ended up subbing The Prodigy at DL? 

17 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Lots of people calling the anouncement uninspiring. What counts as inspiring for R&L anouncements these days?

For me with this announcement, there are a couple of things wrong.

1. It seems like a small release of acts to me. Only 9, I was hoping for a couple more (first announcement had 11)

2. Booking repeat guests for me is very dull. Rat Boy and Wiley who go to most festivals most years it seems shouldn't have been announced here. It's fine that they're in the line up, but we already knew that they'd probably be there.

3. Booking TDCC again is also a bit of a joke, I wanna see different acts compared to last year. Also, although they did release an album, are they that much bigger? They aren't even in the same league as say Imagine Dragons who subbed last year. I would still be annoyed if they were back as NME headliners though tbh, I just want a bit more variety.

4. There wasn't really any large surprise acts. We already knew the headliner, TDCC is a dissapointment so the first vaguely interesting act we have is Flume. Fatboy Slim is not really anything to write home about, maybe OK as a dance headliner. After that we then go into the smaller acts further down the stages which while cool, Isn't really building the same amount of hype. 

TLDR; Bad Release because it was a small release filled with a lot of repeat acts (either from last year at reading or people who appear at a ton of other UK festivals).

It just completely confuses me that they would use the 2nd announcement to announce a band that played LAST YEAR. It is just absurd and really suggests they've spent big on headliners and small on the undercard.

seeing circa waves, twatboy and two door isn't surprising considering kasabian being announced - they compliment each other nicely, but it seems silly not to have announced someone like major lazer or run the jewels or ANYONE but who they did announce in this one instead?

19 minutes ago, RedBalloon said:

It just completely confuses me that they would use the 2nd announcement to announce a band that played LAST YEAR. It is just absurd and really suggests they've spent big on headliners and small on the undercard.

seeing circa waves, twatboy and two door isn't surprising considering kasabian being announced - they compliment each other nicely, but it seems silly not to have announced someone like major lazer or run the jewels or ANYONE but who they did announce in this one instead?

Major Lazer have already been announced tbh.

I'm happy with Jimmy Eat World at least. One I've not seen that should be good. Tbh Kasabian, TDCC and Circa Waves will probably all be fun even if they're nothing special (old Kasabian is but I have no expectations for their new stuff whatsoever). I'm not particularly disappointed, I don't know what people were expecting really. 

13 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I'm happy with Jimmy Eat World at least. One I've not seen that should be good. Tbh Kasabian, TDCC and Circa Waves will probably all be fun even if they're nothing special (old Kasabian is but I have no expectations for their new stuff whatsoever). I'm not particularly disappointed, I don't know what people were expecting really. 

Easy to say when you're seeing RADIOHEAD AT GLASTONBURY UGH IM SO JEALOUS. 

>still in mourning

27 minutes ago, Idioteque18 said:

Easy to say when you're seeing RADIOHEAD AT GLASTONBURY UGH IM SO JEALOUS. 

>still in mourning

Haha how I look at it is go to Glastonbury to see genuinely interesting acts who I've often not seen before, and then Leeds is mostly a pissup with bands that will be fun but not blow me away a lot of the time these days. I'm not pretending bands like Circa Waves are gonna be remembered in 10 years time or are doing anything others haven't done before, but they're fun. Not everything has to be groundbreaking. Once you accept that these are the lineups they're going to book it's a fun weekend. That's only cos I've got mates who go though. I defo wouldn't be going to Leeds if it wasn't a good group of us or just for the day or anything.

There's still the resale fella, so don't give up hope on Glasto. I dunno how long you've been on here so you may already know, but if you go on the Glastonbury part of the forums people will try to help you get resale tickets as long as you help them in return, or some people who already have tickets will help others just cos they're nice people. Worth a look anyway, there is/will be a thread somewhere.

4 hours ago, Andre91 said:

And then someone like Brand New with JEW subbing them for the final night. 

It's very unlikely that Brand New will be playing R&L, they'll probably only tour the UK once more before they split up in 2018, think they'd do their own shows over festivals, especially considering they'd likely be given a 45 minute slot in the afternoon on the Main Stage.

Kasabian & Muse (Headliners), Major Lazer (Main Stage sub), Two Door Cinema Club (3rd down main), Bastille & Flume (NME Headliners), Fatboy Slim (NME Closing Set, NME sub or NME headline), At The Drive In (Pit/Lock Up headliners or 4th down main), Jimmy Eat World (NME sub or 5th down main), Circa Waves (6th down main or FR headline), Architects (Lock Up/Pit Headline or 5th down main). Potential positions of the announced bands.