2017 festival

kaosmark2

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I don't think there is a chance of that, their latest tour is way bigger than NME headliner level.

Bastille are no bigger than The 1975 are and they headlined the NME this year. Personally expect them to sub Kasabian but they could still headline the NME, especially as they aren't an exclusive.

7 minutes ago, SomethingReal said:

If bastille are too big to headline the NME, where do you reckon Twenty One Pilots will be placed upon their next performance?

TOP can play 3rd, Jamie T sold out Ally Pally very quick like they did so it's quite similar.

2 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Bastille are no bigger than The 1975 are and they headlined the NME this year. Personally expect them to sub Kasabian but they could still headline the NME, especially as they aren't an exclusive.

The 1975 chose to take their slots for one that way and too that was in August, the later dates they sold out are now a different thing. Considering they subbed at T in the last couple of years, I don't think Bastille would suddenly think lower might be better. I'd be surprised if they are playing lower than at IOW regardless of how weak IOW gets.

On 17 December 2016 at 6:34 PM, thewayiam said:

The biggest rock/metal band in the world HAHAHAHA, stop spewing your own manure lmao. Yup they headlined festivals and arenas world wide and outsold LP, dear god you have said some bollocks but this takes the biscuit!

LP's 1st two albums are better than anything those others have produced between them, but that is my opinion although record sales would back up that theory a lot, and that's in a period when downloads etc weren't what they became.

I'd never claim that, you like the bullshit that is the Download lineup this year so there is no chance of that....but that's your choice and preference which is fine.

To be fair, it was only a brief period circa early 2001. But yeah, Limp Bizkit were massive at the time. This was during that period in between the death of Britpop and the rise of bands like The Strokes and The White Stripes when guitar music was in something of a lull, so they didn't have a lot of competition, but it's not farfetched to say that they did hold the title of biggest guitar band at that time.

8 minutes ago, VCK said:

To be fair, it was only a brief period circa early 2001. But yeah, Limp Bizkit were massive at the time. This was during that period in between the death of Britpop and the rise of bands like The Strokes and The White Stripes when guitar music was in something of a lull, so they didn't have a lot of competition, but it's not farfetched to say that they did hold the title of biggest guitar band at that time.

You have just however mentioned two guitar acts that went on to both sub and headline Reading for example, something LB never did or got close to and that was a period when that type of music was booked much more. I don't believe they have ever played higher at Download even that 3rd down.

They were very big at one point and I remember them topping a metal bill abroad somewhere in the last 5 years years but to say biggest rock/metal band in the world in a period when LP and Metallica (already had done late 90s) headlining festivals is a bit laughable.

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

It probably leads exactly to that R&L don't have Pendulum. If they are booked for Creamfields then there won't be any issue with that as KP could play a different day completely or play later in a tent as tents don't finish until 4hrs approx after main stage finishes. 

or maybe R&L have Pendulum and not Knife Party? Just because they're doing one festival together doesn't really mean that Rob and Gareth are going to be doing double duty for all the fests they're at. It'd be a bit stupid on R&L's part not to get them in a slot though considering they have a good history at the festival.

3 minutes ago, robmongascy said:

or maybe R&L have Pendulum and not Knife Party? Just because they're doing one festival together doesn't really mean that Rob and Gareth are going to be doing double duty for all the fests they're at. It'd be a bit stupid on R&L's part not to get them in a slot though considering they have a good history at the festival.

I agree but if that happens I think it'll be the other way round. Pendulum subbed Cream in 2008 so now after bigger tours and on the back of a reunion they would headline quite comfortable there. 

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

You have just however mentioned two guitar acts that went on to both sub and headline Reading for example, something LB never did or got close to and that was a period when that type of music was booked much more. I don't believe they have ever played higher at Download even that 3rd down.

They were very big at one point and I remember them topping a metal bill abroad somewhere in the last 5 years years but to say biggest rock/metal band in the world in a period when LP and Metallica (already had done late 90s) headlining festivals is a bit laughable.

If Limp Bizkit were booked to play in 2001 they would have headlined, or at least subbed.

Yeah I can attest to Limp Bizkit being the biggest band in the world at one point. They were ridicu-large around 2000/2001 and in hindsight it seems strange that they weren't booked to headline 2001 or 2002 (but I assume they tried). This was before Linkin Park were on the map and while Metallica were too busy suing fans.

Chocolate Starfish... was and still is the fastest selling album by a rock band in the US (except a Beatles comp) since 1991 so I mean that's something.

Thank you The Strokes for saving music as we know it.

Edited by dentalplan

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I can attest to Limp Bizkit being the biggest band in the world at one point. They were ridicu-large around 2000/2001 and in hindsight it seems strange that they weren't booked to headline 2001 or 2002 (but I assume they tried). This was before Linkin Park were on the map and while Metallica were too busy suing fans.

Chocolate Starfish... was and still is the fastest selling album by a rock band in the US (except a Beatles comp) since 1991 so I mean that's something.

Thank you The Strokes for saving music as we know it.

But then ultimately laying the foundations for the golden age of Indie landfill, which guitar music has yet to recover from.

The Kooks and The Fratellis subbing Glastonbury...shudder.

Edited by VCK

1 hour ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Do Pendulum really suit Creamfields all that much nowadays? They've always been a bit rockier than most electronic acts.

So have The Prodigy who headlined it a few years ago and The Chemical Bros recently. The crowd would lap it up because it's majorly often they get live acts link that. One of the reasons UMF in Miami is so appealing is for the mix of djs and live acts they have.

1 hour ago, VCK said:

If Limp Bizkit were booked to play in 2001 they would have headlined, or at least subbed.

They were booked to play 5th down main stage in 2000 so I doubt sub would have happened back then 1 year later, in fact I'm fairly sure of it.

6 hours ago, thewayiam said:

If there was a hard rock / metal festival in the UK in the late 90s / early 00s (Download didn't start until '03) Limp Bizkit would have comfortably headlined it and so would KoRn. Both were absolutely big enough at that time. Its a shame that there wasn't that sort of festival because that would potentially be two more headliner DL could have had over the years. The same for Marilyn Manson, he would have headlined in the late 90s too. 

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

So have The Prodigy who headlined it a few years ago and The Chemical Bros recently. The crowd would lap it up because it's majorly often they get live acts link that. One of the reasons UMF in Miami is so appealing is for the mix of djs and live acts they have.

They were booked to play 5th down main stage in 2000 so I doubt sub would have happened back then 1 year later, in fact I'm fairly sure of it.

Booked long before Chocolate Starfish came out. In fact, wasn't it released after that summer?

46 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

If there was a hard rock / metal festival in the UK in the late 90s / early 00s (Download didn't start until '03) Limp Bizkit would have comfortably headlined it and so would KoRn. Both were absolutely big enough at that time. Its a shame that there wasn't that sort of festival because that would potentially be two more headliner DL could have had over the years. The same for Marilyn Manson, he would have headlined in the late 90s too. 

Agreed. I'd also say Nine Inch Nails fall into that category also.

9 hours ago, Andre91 said:

If you look at Reading back in 2000/2001 and the bands being booked there is no reason why if LB were big enough they'd have been booked, Reading had already booked them in 1997 and 2000 so it's not like they didn't have them already. Manson subbed Reading before subbing Download, Korn subbed back in 2004 as well. It's still a massive stretch to call LB the biggest metal/rock band in the world when Metallica were around. I'm not denying Take a look Around for example was huge, it was on Kerrang like every 3 songs.

This discussion has probably gone as far as it can what with everyone else in agreement despite Gazza rewriting history and all that.

Are people thinking Eminem or another right now then?

I still think it'll be one or two new headliners as always, but to me it looks like Bastille and Major Lazer are playing the same day (Reading Sat, Leeds Sun) and that'd be more suitable on Eminem day, headlining NME and subbing respectively.

Got doubts about Royal Blood now considering they still seem to be holed up in the studio by the looks of Ben Thatcher's Twitter. Would make a bit more sense for them to do a bit like Foals did and release the album towards the end of 2017 and then headline Reading after an arena tour and shiz. alt-J seem to be setting up a load of European festivals August-September so they look good for it.

41 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

If you look at Reading back in 2000/2001 and the bands being booked there is no reason why if LB were big enough they'd have been booked, Reading had already booked them in 1997 and 2000 so it's not like they didn't have them already. Manson subbed Reading before subbing Download, Korn subbed back in 2004 as well. It's still a massive stretch to call LB the biggest metal/rock band in the world when Metallica were around. I'm not denying Take a look Around for example was huge, it was on Kerrang like every 3 songs.

Reading was not the festival for them at that time. I'm not talking about Reading. Yeah, of course Manson subbed Reading before Download, because Download (nor any festival of its kind) existed at that time. 

You mean the Metallica who were going through the most uncertain period of their career after releasing Load and Reload (which were received with VERY mixed reaction) and were absolutely on the verge of calling it day in the early 00s in the period up to and including St. Anger? Bizkit didn't bother coming over here on the Significant Other cycle, and by the time Chocolate Starfish came out and blew up (and it did absolutely blow up) people were rabid to see them. It is not a stretch at all to say that they were the biggest band in the world at a point. They were scheduled to headline the first ever Download in 2003 but cancelled when Wes left the band. 

On the subject of KoRn at that time, they were an arena band. They were absolutely massive too around the time Issues came out. Look at the Woodstock 99 footage and listen to that crowd reaction. Absolutely crazy stuff. Incidentally, this current tour is the first time KoRn have done arenas over here since Untouchables, which is cool to see.