2017 festival

kaosmark2

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, thelemon said:

Not sure about Reading, but Royal Blood nailed Leeds that year.

If Alt-J, Bastille or YMAS can co-headline, Tame Impala are absolutely big enough, although I do see them as more of a sub.

YMAS are clearly not big enough anymore, the interest in their tour since their return was not particulary big at all. All of them are subs or NME headliners to me.

A couple of them could get away as a co-headliner if they booked a massive name to headline another day like they did with RHCP this year.

2 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

YMAS are clearly not big enough anymore, the interest in their tour since their return was not particulary big at all. All of them are subs or NME headliners to me.

A couple of them could get away as a co-headliner if they booked a massive name to headline another day like they did with RHCP this year.

You realize a sub isn't the same as an NME headliner?

6 hours ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Reckon they'd headline the Pit? Or too big for that? Reckon they'd look well out of place on Main with most the bands rumoured unless they do pick up BMTH

I wouldn't think Rise Against are too big for the Pit anymore, considering they've had Mastodon, Good Charlotte, New Found Glory etc who were all similar size in their peaks.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

You realize a sub isn't the same as an NME headliner?

Yes but for instance i think YMAS subbing would be a push whereas them headlining the NME would be much better for them and the festival. Equally i think Tame Impala would be better off on the NME headline slot, despite the fact they could probably sub. Bastille and Alt-J are subs no question.

2 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Yes but for instance i think YMAS subbing would be a push whereas them headlining the NME would be much better for them and the festival. Equally i think Tame Impala would be better off on the NME headline slot, despite the fact they could probably sub. Bastille and Alt-J are subs no question.

TI would sub but I doubt will play. The other two yes.

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Tame Impala will be headline size on their next album. They're massive as it is. 

Im not quietly hoping for Kanye West :ninja: BMTH, Kanye, Kasabian would be a really strong trio. 

Foals are considerably bigger and only got a co-headline slot, Tame Impala won't be outright headliner material on their next album, if it goes down well then they could co-headline.

BMTH and The 1975 both bigger than Foals right now, if you go by album sales (Foals came out in a stocked week but didn’t carry the way the other two did I think). Reckon they'll be the next two to make a leap to headliner (The 1975 could very well top Glastonbury in 2019 if album three sells as well as the current record).

Chase & Status were the biggest (and best) they've ever been at that time tho to be fair, whoever was up against them was going to struggle. If they had maintained that trajectory they could have headlined by now. 

I'd like to think R&L will give them a shot at headlining on their next album, be it 2018 or whenever. They're in a similar-ish position to Foals before they headlined who went on to smash it. + Tame Impala are fucking great.

Edited by JSmurphy

I watched Tame Impala on the NME in 2013 and noticed it fill up a LOT more towards the end of their set, wasn't too full overall (albeit having Chase & Status on the main) and also noticed not many left the tent after TI finished.. meaning a lot of that crowd were more than likely waiting for Jake Bugg (myself included) who was 'the next best thing' at the time.

13 hours ago, foolee said:

I watched Tame Impala on the NME stage in 2013 while chase and status were on main and it's be generous to say it was half full, Reading isn't the place for them anymore, can't ever see them playing again tbh. 

This was before they really broke through in the mainstream so pretty irrelevant. The % of people that knew who they were back then would have been a lot smaller than now.

15 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

BMTH and The 1975 both bigger than Foals right now, if you go by album sales (Foals came out in a stocked week but didn’t carry the way the other two did I think). Reckon they'll be the next two to make a leap to headliner (The 1975 could very well top Glastonbury in 2019 if album three sells as well as the current record).

Do you have an account on one of those chart sales sites? Because you're the only person I've seen (rightly) talking about albums based on sales rather than placings. :P

But yeah, it's a good indicator but not the be-all and end-all. You'll get bands every year that outsell headliners but they don't feel confident about moving up. I bet The 1975's first week sales were better than that of every headliner's last one, Chilis included. It's hard to put a finger on what they do actually consider, hence the five months of bickering every year.

I saw someone on here mention the latest BMTH interview which talks about them taking some time off to be with their families and specifically taking a month off at the end of this tour before they start writing again. Oil also says that he wants to go "weirder" on the next album and go down a "darker dance" route, citing Linkin Park and Massive Attack as massive influences. The turn around from the Sempiternal tour to TTS being announced was pretty quick, so I would think it out of the question that they have a couple of new tracks ready by next summer, in time to headline R&L. 

As far as the "dance" sound, I'm not interested in that one bit. As soon as I heard Throne when it came out I said that they're going to do a Linkin Park, and by the sounds of it they are. Not fond of that at all. This next album is going to be their 'A Thousand Suns', isn't it :( 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

This was before they really broke through in the mainstream so pretty irrelevant. The % of people that knew who they were back then would have been a lot smaller than now.

Do you have an account on one of those chart sales sites? Because you're the only person I've seen (rightly) talking about albums based on sales rather than placings. :P

But yeah, it's a good indicator but not the be-all and end-all. You'll get bands every year that outsell headliners but they don't feel confident about moving up. I bet The 1975's first week sales were better than that of every headliner's last one, Chilis included. It's hard to put a finger on what they do actually consider, hence the five months of bickering every year.

I don't, but I am obsessively anal about it :D

Hmm.

American Beauty: 31k

Ellipsis : 36k

The Getaway : 44k

Caracal :26k

What Went Down: 34 k

I like it... 58K

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

I saw someone on here mention the latest BMTH interview which talks about them taking some time off to be with their families and specifically taking a month off at the end of this tour before they start writing again. Oil also says that he wants to go "weirder" on the next album and go down a "darker dance" route, citing Linkin Park and Massive Attack as massive influences. The turn around from the Sempiternal tour to TTS being announced was pretty quick, so I would think it out of the question that they have a couple of new tracks ready by next summer, in time to headline R&L. 

As far as the "dance" sound, I'm not interested in that one bit. As soon as I heard Throne when it came out I said that they're going to do a Linkin Park, and by the sounds of it they are. Not fond of that at all. This next album is going to be their 'A Thousand Suns', isn't it :( 

It can't be that bad lol, I was a huge LP fan, even liked a few of M2M but A Thousand Suns was awful, Wretches and Kings and The Catalyst just about passable. The Hunting Party had some better aggressive songs but Living Things was fairly poor past a couple of passable. The problem is that Chester as the band got older can't scream like he did in HT and Meteora now. Even the last time I saw them....before HT in full, I could tell that Chesters vocals weren't as strong and to be honest I can't really blame him.

Talking of bands changing sound, I thought the new Creeper song sounded very new BMTH at parts?

edit: @Andre91 The latest interview with NME seems to say they want to outright on a next album but a bit of indication it won't be next year. You might be more inclined to wack them in your 18 prediction.

Edited by thewayiam

18 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It can't be that bad lol, I was a huge LP fan, even liked a few of M2M but A Thousand Suns was awful, Wretches and Kings and The Catalyst just about passable. The Hunting Party had some better aggressive songs but Living Things was fairly poor past a couple of passable. The problem is that Chester as the band got older can't scream like he did in HT and Meteora now. Even the last time I saw them....before HT in full, I could tell that Chesters vocals weren't as strong and to be honest I can't really blame him.

Talking of bands changing sound, I thought the new Creeper song sounded very new BMTH at parts?

Suzanne? Are you listening to the same song :P ? Creeper have zero in common with BMTH.