2017 festival

kaosmark2

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

as much shit as it gets the co-headliner thing works for acts like Alt-J, Royal Blood etc who're in that 'too big for sub, not quite big enough to take on headlining themselves' category. it may be a bit of a cop out to not just give bands a chance to take it on themselves, but it also gives acts that boost they may not get otherwise, and who'll undoubtedly return next time round to headline outright. plus it's worked well for R/L so far. i doubt they'll have two sets of co-headliners like they did this year (even though Biffy were clearly the headliner and FOB a sub) but i fully expect one pair

Mind you, we're expecting BMTH to headline outright and they're not really big enough for that, but there's no real call to bump someone else even smaller to make it a dual thing.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think there could be anyone else in the running apart from Kasabian, BMTH, Alt-J, Royal Blood? Like someone unexpected and a little bit more interesting unless it turns out to be Kanye but not sure I can see R&L booking him because of the festivals that no longer exist. All just seems very uninspiring and not 1 massive band which they'd usually book to be the major ticket shifter. I'm thinking RHCP, Metallica, AM, Eminem, Foo Fighters etc. or would that be Kasabian? If so that's a poor shout.

Just now, foolee said:

Do you think there could be anyone else in the running apart from Kasabian, BMTH, Alt-J, Royal Blood? Like someone unexpected and a little bit more interesting unless it turns out to be Kanye but not sure I can see R&L booking him because of the festivals that no longer exist. All just seems very uninspiring and not 1 massive band which they'd usually book to be the major ticket shifter. I'm thinking RHCP, Metallica, AM, Eminem, Foo Fighters etc. or would that be Kasabian? If so that's a poor shout.

Kasabian are a massive band for sure. Definitely deserve to be among those names you mentioned as ticket sellers.

And yeah there'll be plenty more acts to consider. It's still really early in the festival year.

10 minutes ago, foolee said:

I wouldn't consider Kasabian to be a major ticket shifter by any stretch of the imagination. To me they would be the middle headliner, not the massive headliner but not the tiny headliner, they've dropped off too much recently to be considered the major headliner.

31 minutes ago, foolee said:

Major Lazer as a co-headliner. Although if alt-J are back in the mix now I can see something along the lines of:

Royal Blood/alt-J // Jamie T // Wolf Alice

You Me at Six

Kasabian // Major Lazer // Catfish and the Bottlemen // Run the Jewels

Flume

Bring Me The Horizon // A Day To Remember // Twenty One Pilots // Enter Shikari

Skepta

7 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Major Lazer as a co-headliner. Although if alt-J are back in the mix now I can see something along the lines of:

Royal Blood/alt-J // Jamie T // Wolf Alice

You Me at Six

Kasabian // Major Lazer // Catfish and the Bottlemen // Run the Jewels

Flume

Bring Me The Horizon // A Day To Remember // Twenty One Pilots // Enter Shikari

Skepta

No Nick Jonas And The Bad Seeds?

2 hours ago, Gozpot said:

I wouldn't consider Kasabian to be a major ticket shifter by any stretch of the imagination. To me they would be the middle headliner, not the massive headliner but not the tiny headliner, they've dropped off too much recently to be considered the major headliner.

When did Kasabian drop off?

12 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

48:13 didn't exactly get good reviews and for good reason, it was a poor album. Heard very little to nothing about it all in all.

That's critical acclaim though. If the lineup was decided on how good their releases have been then they'd be playing at lunchtime and not on the main stage. :lol:

Edited by dentalplan

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

That's critical acclaim though. If the lineup was decided on how good their releases have been then they'd be playing at lunchtime and not on the main stage. :lol:

I know plenty of people who like Kasabian and thought that was a pile of crap. The album wasn't received well by anybody, hence why i said they dropped off.

5 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

I know plenty of people who like Kasabian and thought that was a pile of crap. The album wasn't received well by anybody, hence why i said they dropped off.

It was undoubtedly bad even by their standards but they are at their biggest off the back of it. Bad albums can lead to decreased interest in the next record, of course, but that'd just be a prediction and the bar is so low that I wouldn't count on it.

Just now, dentalplan said:

It was undoubtedly bad even by their standards but they are at their biggest off the back of it. Bad albums can lead to decreased interest in the next record, of course, but that'd just be a prediction and the bar is so low that I wouldn't count on it.

I dont think it has raised their stock, certainly not enough to be considered the big headliner when you compare them to the previous years with RHCP, Metallica, Arctic Monkeys, Eminem, Foo Fighters & The Cure, Muse, Guns N Roses etc. They're just not in the same league, a big band yes but not a massive band.

9 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Probably around the time they sold out two stadium dates in the summer. 

Also, is it me or does @Gozpot just seem to disagree with everything than anyone else says :lol: ? 

I don't disagree with everything by any stretch. With the amount of people on these boards obviously some people are bound to have differening opinions, especially with the variety of acts that get booked for Reading. I never said Kasabian wouldn't be considered the big headliner by R&L i said i wouldn't consider them to be the type of big headliner they book every year.

19 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Kasabian are still a massive band in the UK. 

i think the only reason they seem less so (to me, anyway) is because they're constantly headlining festivals. in fact this year felt like the first year in absolutely ages where they weren't in the upper tiers of at least one UK festival. they are huge, but they've never been away long enough for it to ever seem like a particularly great booking. guess same could be said for Metallica, but... Metallica are Metallica

23 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i think the only reason they seem less so (to me, anyway) is because they're constantly headlining festivals. in fact this year felt like the first year in absolutely ages where they weren't in the upper tiers of at least one UK festival. they are huge, but they've never been away long enough for it to ever seem like a particularly great booking. guess same could be said for Metallica, but... Metallica are Metallica

Completely agree with this

27 minutes ago, VCK said:

Emily Eavis has said that the Roses won't be headlining Glastonbury next year.

That is all.

not sure if that makes them particularly more likely for R&L. it's been suggested that they're headlining IOW, but I guess something like Kasabian, The Stone Roses, Bring Me The Horizon is feasible.

11 hours ago, dylangraham said:

not sure if that makes them particularly more likely for R&L. it's been suggested that they're headlining IOW, but I guess something like Kasabian, The Stone Roses, Bring Me The Horizon is feasible.

Thought this too. With them not at Glasto it definitely opens up the possibility and i think Kasabian/Stone Roses/BMTH would go down well too.

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:50 PM, dentalplan said:

are at their biggest off the back of it. Bad albums can lead to decreased interest in the next record, of course, but that'd just be a prediction and the bar is so low that I wouldn't count on it.

Would be one of the most popular headline combinations for Leeds

10 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Kasabian and the Roses in the same year? I thought this year took the piss with bucket hats... 

Do we think that Royal Blood could sub and not necessarily headline like a lot of us would expect? 

I'm expecting them to play most festivals but R&L in 2017 then to come back to Reading in 2018 and depending on how the album goes down either Headline/Co-Headline/Sub