2017 festival

kaosmark2

37 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Can Pendulum please get their shit together and play some UK dates.

pieing my PMs </3

2 hours ago, Gozpot said:

I still expect us not to see co-headliners at all, after the amount of shit they got for it this year they will probably go out of their way to avoid it.

Kasabian/BMTH/Kanye is still my guess, although Kanye is more optimism than expectation.

can't really see BMTH doing it but agreed with the rest

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Gozpot said:

I still expect us not to see co-headliners at all, after the amount of shit they got for it this year they will probably go out of their way to avoid it.

Best sales in years tho. Speaks bigger volumes than people commenting on Facebook who think that huge stadium headliners are having their jobs taken by coheadliners. You wouldn't be alone in thinking there won't necessarily be a coheadliner next year but I don't think they're going away at this point.

1 hour ago, dylangraham said:

idk, they might get a lot of shit for it, but it would be a massive booking and would sell a lot of tickets, especially to the main R&L demographic of 16-19 year olds

Aye I think they might get shit from the type of people that used to go for the weekend and now sometimes go back for Metallica or Foo Fighters etc. but with under 25's I reckon day tickets will sell quite well and it's a headliner people would want to see even if they're not really a fan just to see how it goes down so weekend tickets would shift too.

He's had pretty poor history with festivals and Wireless Birmingham and the Big Chill (both FR events) went down the shitter with him as a headliner but those festivals aren't R+L and I'd argue he'd be more popular there than anywhere else.

5 hours ago, Mash011 said:

On paper, Kanye is pretty much THE best booking R&L could make this year. That is, until he actually goes on and reminds everyone how awful he is live.

Yeah this is why I keep expecting it to happen - it's a no-brainer.

I think he'd fare better at Reading in front of a bigger proportion of his own fans rather than at Glasto where loads of people just go to every Pyramid headliner, turned up hoping it'd go to shit and didn't get into it  That aspect probably affected him cos he even acknowledged it was a bit of a turkey at a later date so he must have seen it going wrong.

Following on from what I said about AFI being up to something; they have put a video out of an image saying 28th October. I'm expecting it to be an album. Where would AFI play? Too big for Lock Up headliners? Still big enough for NME sub like they played in 2009? Enter Shikari headlining NME with AFI subbing would be something else. 

1 minute ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Yeah tbh, I'm not convinced AFI would get a massive crowd next year anyway given the headliners being rumoured. In an ideal world they'd probably be headlining or subbing at Hevy, obviously that's gone now. Think they'd be a better fit for DL than R/L now. 

Agree that Download is probably their best fit now, maybe 2000Trees but they'd largely go down like a lead balloon at R&L

Think they'd be okay at R/L if it was a year where you had a Green Day, blink, My Chem, Linkin Park etc but don't see people forking out for a day ticket just to see them. Maybe if they were in a reasonably high main slot on a day where BMTH headlined perhaps. 

AFI would be an absolutely huge booking for 2000 Trees, but not sure how likely that is to actually happen, would say a Download slot more likely, but Trees have managed to convince the likes of Alkaline Trio and Refused to do it so who knows.

On 18/10/2016 at 5:35 PM, thewayiam said:

Yes! They've really brilliant in NME 2009.

Yeah, was surprised how well they went down in 2009, decent sized crowd.its a long 8 years later now though.

Was a good line up on NME.If memeory serves it was Gallows, Gaslight Anthem, AFI and Lostprophets(I know,I know) 

12 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

wasn't expecting that so soon. gotta be a strong co-headliner contender then. was predicting Royal Blood/Alt-J way back so will go back to that 

Just seen on the coachella boards apparently they are at Coachella.

I guess it'l be a case of whether they co-headline/headline reading or play somewhere else

12 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

wasn't expecting that so soon. gotta be a strong co-headliner contender then. was predicting Royal Blood/Alt-J way back so will go back to that 

Still hoping for no co-headliners. Either headline on an exclusive or don't play at all for me.

1 minute ago, Gozpot said:

Still hoping for no co-headliners. Either headline on an exclusive or don't play at all for me.

as much shit as it gets the co-headliner thing works for acts like Alt-J, Royal Blood etc who're in that 'too big for sub, not quite big enough to take on headlining themselves' category. it may be a bit of a cop out to not just give bands a chance to take it on themselves, but it also gives acts that boost they may not get otherwise, and who'll undoubtedly return next time round to headline outright. plus it's worked well for R/L so far. i doubt they'll have two sets of co-headliners like they did this year (even though Biffy were clearly the headliner and FOB a sub) but i fully expect one pair

36 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

as much shit as it gets the co-headliner thing works for acts like Alt-J, Royal Blood etc who're in that 'too big for sub, not quite big enough to take on headlining themselves' category. it may be a bit of a cop out to not just give bands a chance to take it on themselves, but it also gives acts that boost they may not get otherwise, and who'll undoubtedly return next time round to headline outright. plus it's worked well for R/L so far. i doubt they'll have two sets of co-headliners like they did this year (even though Biffy were clearly the headliner and FOB a sub) but i fully expect one pair

Or alternatively just book one of these not quite there yet bands on an exclusive and give them a shot?

Like you said, this year FoB were a sub, no a co-headliner, they should just stop with co-headliners unless it's an absolute back up, 3 co-headline pairs in 3 years is just silly, especially as 2 were in one year. QOTSA and Paramore was a good booking. But Biffy should have been outright and why didn't they just give Foals a shot?

Still thinking it'll be Kasabian, BMTH on a UK 2017 exlusive show and final show of That's The Spirit and hopefully Kanye West but likely something worse than that.