2017 festival

kaosmark2

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Gorrilaz? They've generated a fair amount of hype with their recent FB activity. Heard they were poor at Glastonbury but would be an interesting booking for R&L. 

Can't see past them being booked for Latitude. Seem like they'd go down a lot better there than at R/L, especially at this time

28 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Can't see past them being booked for Latitude. Seem like they'd go down a lot better there than at R/L, especially at this time

Yeah it's a booking that does make sense, but aren't they a little, well, big for Latitude? No doubt they've had some fairly big (and great) headliners in recent years - Bloc Party, Foals, alt-J, The Black Keys etc, but Gorrilaz with a comeback tour could hit massive arena dates easily whereas I don't think those others could when they headlined. Is Damon Albarn really keen on Latitude too? I remember a singer from a band was outspoken on his desire to play the fest but can't remember who it was.

Edited by JSmurphy

Just now, JSmurphy said:

Yeah it's a booking that does make sense, but aren't they a little, well, big for Latitude? No doubt they've had some fairly big (and great) headliners in recent years - Bloc Party, Foals, alt-J, The Black Keys etc, but Gorrilaz could hit arena dates easily whereas I don't think those others could when they headlined. Is Damon Albarn really keen on Latitude too? I remember a singer from a band was outspoken on his desire to play the fest but can't remember who it was.

Noel Gallagher headlined and I'd say he's about the same size.  Gorillaz really aren't that big - in fact I'd say they're just the right size for Latitude. And Damon has played there with a couple of his projects (solo, The Good, the Bad and the Queen, maybe more I'm forgetting) so it's on his radar. Think they seem like a really obvious booking for the festival rather than a larger festival where they may go down like they did at Glastonbury (and a Glastonbury crowd is generally far more forgiving/open minded than a R/L one)

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Noel Gallagher headlined and I'd say he's about the same size.  Gorillaz really aren't that big - in fact I'd say they're just the right size for Latitude. And Damon has played there with a couple of his projects (solo, The Good, the Bad and the Queen, maybe more I'm forgetting) so it's on his radar. Think they seem like a really obvious booking for the festival rather than a larger festival where they may go down like they did at Glastonbury (and a Glastonbury crowd is generally far more forgiving/open minded than a R/L one)

Would you not say Gorillaz are about the same size as The Libertines were last year when they headlined? I find it hard to grasp how big Gorillaz are considering (as far as I'm aware) their last hit would have been something off Demon Days, which is 11 or 12 years old. I think they'd be a strong coheadliner, or a fairly weak headliner, which is pretty much how I saw The Libertines last year.

I think its hard to grasp how big Gorrilaz are in respect to a Reading/Leeds audience.

Im 24 and I doubt I know anyone who hasn't heard of Gorrilaz or know a few songs from back when we were children. There was so much hype around them at school in the early 2000's.

However will current 16-19 year olds have a clue who they are though? I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, JonSnow said:

I think its hard to grasp how big Gorrilaz are in respect to a Reading/Leeds audience.

Im 24 and I doubt I know anyone who hasn't heard of Gorrilaz or know a few songs from back when we were children. There was so much hype around them at school in the early 2000's.

However will current 16-19 year olds have a clue who they are though? I'm not sure.

pretty much my thinking. unless this new album has a few singles like Feel Good Inc., Clint Eastwood etc that push them back in to the charts a little i can't see them appealing much to a R/L audience these days. their Glastonbury headline set was a good indicator that they don't have that many well known songs outside of the big singles and that your average person probably won't recognise (m)any of their album tracks. think they're a far cry from your modern day R/L headliner

Edited by FloorFiller

1 hour ago, JonSnow said:

I'm 19 and there's no way anyone I know doesn't know Dare, Feel Good Inc or Dirty Harry. 16 would make someone what, 6, when those songs were big, so possible those songs passed them by but I doubt it. But I can't remember the stuff off the first album being big, I got into that when Demon Days came out. So amongst 16-19 year olds, the likes of Clint Eastwood and 19-2000 won't be known to anyone who hasn't gone out of their way to listen to them.

I dunno, deep down I'm probably trying to justify them as headliners just because I want it to happen. Glastonbury other headliners is probably my best hope of seeing them next year as I wouldn't go to Latitude. 

there's been a headliner at every Reading since like 2004 whose commercial peak was too long ago for attendees aged 16 that year to realistically remember. Maybe Gorillaz aren't 'kept alive by NME' in the way The Libertines or The Strokes are though I suppose.

Edited by Zac Quinn

On Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Odessa said:

I'm 19 and there's no way anyone I know doesn't know Dare, Feel Good Inc or Dirty Harry. 16 would make someone what, 6, when those songs were big, so possible those songs passed them by but I doubt it. But I can't remember the stuff off the first album being big, I got into that when Demon Days came out. So amongst 16-19 year olds, the likes of Clint Eastwood and 19-2000 won't be known to anyone who hasn't gone out of their way to listen to them.

I dunno, deep down I'm probably trying to justify them as headliners just because I want it to happen. Glastonbury other headliners is probably my best hope of seeing them next year as I wouldn't go to Latitude. 

Im 19 and I'd say about 10% of my friends have ever heard of them. 

To be honest, I think Gorillaz could quite easily headline Reading and Leeds but Bestival and Latitude are a better fit for them stylistically rather than better suited for their popularity and they might go for that over bigger crowds. It's a case of they could play but there are better options for them and better options for the festival so I'm not expecting it. But I'd be pretty confident they'll headline any festival they do which will take them to larger and smaller events than R+L.

24 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I don't think honk Gorillaz fit in with R&L's audience. I don't think people really care about them anymore (not that I ever did). 

Still going for BMTH, Kasabian and Royal Blood / The Strokes co-headline. 

Honk.

I'm cooling on Royal Blood headlining. Someone suggested about them doing every other festival next year and finishing the tour with an exclusive R+L headline slot which makes a fair bit of sense. BMTH/Kasabian/Strokes would tick boxes quite well without them, BMTH/Kasabian/Yeezy better, BMTH/Strokes/Yeezy not as popular but I have a strong feeling about The Strokes so idk but that's my thought right now.

Edited by dentalplan

On 03/08/2016 at 6:57 PM, Yellow_Fellow said:

yeah IoW with it's failure to announce when next year is even happening 

Think you might be right on this one b. Kinda understandable they might sit tight on the dates for a bit if they might have reason to move it but they should've definitely made a decision on that by now. Plus there's hella negativity and some cancellation rumours on their Facebook and their response is "we're beavering away on next year" to everything which might even be verbatim what Soni have said for the past few years so definite cause for doubt.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Honk.

I'm cooling on Royal Blood headlining. Someone suggested about them doing every other festival next year and finishing the tour with an exclusive R+L headline slot which makes a fair bit of sense. BMTH/Kasabian/Strokes would tick boxes quite well without them, BMTH/Kasabian/Yeezy better, BMTH/Strokes/Yeezy not as popular but I have a strong feeling about The Strokes so idk but that's my thought right now.

That's a good point about Royal Blood, but I think that getting them on an exclusive when the new album comes out would also work really well. BMTH, Kasabian and The Strokes (whether that is with RB too or not) are the ones I'm expecting most because, like you said, it ticks a lot of boxes. 

Kanye would be the dream but I can't see it happening. 

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Think you might be right on this one b. Kinda understandable they might sit tight on the dates for a bit if they might have reason to move it but they should've definitely made a decision on that by now. Plus there's hella negativity and some cancellation rumours on their Facebook and their response is "we're beavering away on next year" to everything which might even be verbatim what Soni have said for the past few years so definite cause for doubt.

It's not looking good. I dunno what it means for the market really... IoW always felt a little auxilliary to me. Maybe more megabands for R&L?

5 minutes ago, Yellow_Fellow said:

It's not looking good. I dunno what it means for the market really... IoW always felt a little auxilliary to me. Maybe more megabands for R&L?

Not sure either. Four or five years back it was a big player but in the last couple of years it already looked a bit like it was suffering from Live Nation's stronghold on the festival scene and it was making do with mostly older family festival type acts and old MOR headliners - neither of which Live Nation has a festival for - so maybe we've already seen the effect? Rumours of Bestival having a bit of a hard time too - Glasto aside, it does read like it's very tough for any big festival without a LN stake. 

I suppose Victorious could stand to gain if IOW is absent because of the proximity and the type of crowd it's for. Hopefully that can continue to thrive.