2017 festival

kaosmark2

30 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Just that Reading has changed so much and that the heavy bands booked on those stages had crap crowds all weekend, so why would these bands continue to be booked when they aren't drawing people in? And that in the world of R&L, heavy music is now an afterthought.  It was a really interesting and insightful take on the festival. It was on last week's episode if you fancy checking it out, the discussion only lasts around 20mins. 

Yeah sounds about right. Wouldn't say was all the heavy stuff, but the more niche stuff for sure is pointless to book really. Could get away with it if you have someone like Metallica headlining I guess. 

I think contemporary stuff like Parkway Drive etc is fine and I actually even think Five Finger Death Punch is okay, although obviously have to take a smaller slot than they would at Download. 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Shaun182 said:

Linkin Park seems like a good shout.
I'd say Gorillaz have a chance as well next year even though no one seems to have pointed them out.

They've had 1000 chances to book Linkin Park and haven't, they're never going to book them; they're on the decline now as it is.

Gorillaz probably aren't big enough to headline R&L either I'd say, can see them maybe being as a big name at a smaller fest like Y Not/Kendal/Boomtown.

2 minutes ago, conroy17 said:

They've had 1000 chances to book Linkin Park and haven't, they're never going to book them; they're on the decline now as it is.

Gorillaz probably aren't big enough to headline R&L either I'd say, can see them maybe being as a big name at a smaller fest like Y Not/Kendal/Boomtown.

Gorillaz are HUGE, they could headline any festival in the UK

If it's looking like Green Day aren't gonna be there then my guess is they're gonna try and sell Kasabian as the big marquee headliner (frugal I know) in a quartet of Kasabian / Paramore / Royal Blood + co-headliner*

*not a clue who this would be tbf- don't think it'll be YM@6; for me there's just no call for it- it's not like YM@6 can get a higher slot than sub elsewhere so it wouldn't suit them to demand higher than that and it wouldn't suit R&L to book an act in a higher slot than they need to.

I like the thought of Prophets Of Rage doing it but I'm not sure how well that would actually sell. Major Lazer could be a good shout too as it looks like they'll have another album's worth of material out by then. Alt J, The Strokes & Tame Impala I think are viable options if they each have new material out come next summer.

I don't think it'll be BMTH- 1) too soon/same setlist etc. 2) think they'll headline outright when they do  3) it'd just be the Metallica '15 day without Metallica.

Edited by conroy17

14 minutes ago, conroy17 said:

If it's looking like Green Day aren't gonna be there then my guess is they're gonna try and sell Kasabian as the big marquee headliner (frugal I know) in a quartet of Kasabian / Paramore / Royal Blood + co-headliner*

*not a clue who this would be tbf- don't think it'll be YM@6; for me there's just no call for it- it's not like YM@6 can get a higher slot than sub elsewhere so it wouldn't suit them to demand higher than that and it wouldn't suit R&L to book an act in a higher slot than they need to.

I like the thought of Prophets Of Rage doing it but I'm not sure how well that would actually sell. Major Lazer could be a good shout too as it looks like they'll have another album's worth of material out by then. Alt J, The Strokes & Tame Impala I think are viable options if they each have new material out come next summer.

I don't think it'll be BMTH- 1) too soon/same setlist etc. 2) think they'll headline outright when they do  3) it'd just be the Metallica '15 day without Metallica.

Prophets Of Rage would be a great booking but not as a headliner. They'd make a good opening act or something, that'd be cool. Alt-J and Tame Impala are definitely shouts but I wouldn't say either are big enough to headline. TI are a sub or NME headliner imo.

Are Paramore a real possibility? I don't mind them but it seems a bit underwhelming considering they only recently played co and they've definitely not grown. I can see them doing the secret set and then headlining 2018 if they actually get any bigger. On a side note, has anyone else noticed how much R+L seem to love pop-punk and emo? Seems odd because its surely irrelevant not. Maybe it's because I don't like it, but FOB, Green Day, Blink, Paramore and MCR have all headlined recently. Plus decent spots for Good Charlotte, YM@6, All Time Low, P!ATD, Jimmy Eat World and Sum-41 (I might be wrong on that last one).

Edited by thelemon

2 minutes ago, thelemon said:

Prophets Of Rage would be a great booking but not as a headliner. They'd make a good opening act or something, that'd be cool. Alt-J and Tame Impala are definitely shouts but I wouldn't say either are big enough to headline. TI are a sub or NME headliner imo.

Are Paramore a real possibility? I don't mind them but it seems a bit underwhelming considering they only recently subbed and they've definitely not grown. I can see them doing the secret set and then headlining 2018 if they actually get any bigger. On a side note, has anyone else noticed how much R+L seem to love pop-punk and emo? Seems odd because its surely irrelevant not. Maybe it's because I don't like it, but FOB, Green Day, Blink, Paramore and MCR have all headlined recently. Plus decent spots for Good Charlotte, YM@6, All Time Low, P!ATD, Jimmy Eat World and Sum-41 (I might be wrong on that last one).

nah Tame are huge; you're really underestimating their broad appeal. If the next album is as popular as Currents they'll headline outright no question but for the moment co's or v strong sub.

as for the emo query- my guess is that you've got people in their late teens / early 20's who listened to that when they were younger and will pay to see it at R&L for nothing more than nostalgia purposes- obviously that's only in addition to those who listen it to currently-they're still immensely popular bands but that goes without saying.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Just that Reading has changed so much and that the heavy bands booked on those stages had crap crowds all weekend, so why would these bands continue to be booked when they aren't drawing people in? And that in the world of R&L, heavy music is now an afterthought.  It was a really interesting and insightful take on the festival. It was on last week's episode if you fancy checking it out, the discussion only lasts around 20mins. 

Linky please? I'm interested in seeing what he says.

8 minutes ago, thelemon said:

Are Paramore a real possibility? I don't mind them but it seems a bit underwhelming considering they only recently played co and they've definitely not grown. I can see them doing the secret set and then headlining 2018 if they actually get any bigger. On a side note, has anyone else noticed how much R+L seem to love pop-punk and emo? Seems odd because its surely irrelevant not. Maybe it's because I don't like it, but FOB, Green Day, Blink, Paramore and MCR have all headlined recently. Plus decent spots for Good Charlotte, YM@6, All Time Low, P!ATD, Jimmy Eat World and Sum-41 (I might be wrong on that last one).

You do know that Pop-punk is having a massive resurgence right now don't you?

Anyway I'd be massively surprised is Royal Blood co-headline next year, especially ahead of YM@6. I'm pretty convinced we're going to see a BMTH/YM@6 co-headline, and if we do get another lot of co-headliners, for the love of god can we please have them both play 90 minutes. FFS is it too much to ask? Can even save money by booking one less act, it's really not hard FR.

36 minutes ago, KingPin said:

Linky please? I'm interested in seeing what he says.

You do know that Pop-punk is having a massive resurgence right now don't you?

Anyway I'd be massively surprised is Royal Blood co-headline next year, especially ahead of YM@6. I'm pretty convinced we're going to see a BMTH/YM@6 co-headline, and if we do get another lot of co-headliners, for the love of god can we please have them both play 90 minutes. FFS is it too much to ask? Can even save money by booking one less act, it's really not hard FR.

A resurgence of sorts, I mean Blink's album was terrible and I've not seen anyone say otherwise, and Green Day's song doesn't exactly look promising for their album doing that well. I think it will flop, but obviously I could be wrong on that.

When I call it irrelevant, I understand that there are a lot of those bands around, but there aren't any big enough to headline aside from Blink, Green Day and Paramore, and they'd still be in consideration regardless because of their legacy. YM@6 are really nowhere near the size a R+L headliner should be, they'll be there or thereabouts because the festival loves them, but if that's headline-size then I'd be very surprised. Blink and Paramore just headlined, it would be disappointing for them to be there again, and I don't think they will be, I'm pretty sure Biffy were headlining only because someone else pulled out. 

48 minutes ago, thelemon said:

A resurgence of sorts, I mean Blink's album was terrible and I've not seen anyone say otherwise, and Green Day's song doesn't exactly look promising for their album doing that well. I think it will flop, but obviously I could be wrong on that.

Blinks new album was widely received as a good album, it got very strong reviews. Green Days new song is the best they've released since American Idiot, it's promising, if you don't like a genre of music it doesn't make it unpopular or a flop.

Pop Punk is having a massive resurgence, the biggest since the bands like FoB and Paramore came through. Neck Deep, The Wonder Years, The Story So Far and State Champs are just a few who have established themselves into Main Stage billings at festivals. Moose Blood have lots of hype behind them, as do Creeper. To say Pop Punk isn't having a resurgence is just silly in all honesty.

Edited by Gozpot

1 hour ago, Gozpot said:

Blinks new album was widely received as a good album, it got very strong reviews. Green Days new song is the best they've released since American Idiot, it's promising, if you don't like a genre of music it doesn't make it unpopular or a flop.

Pop Punk is having a massive resurgence, the biggest since the bands like FoB and Paramore came through. Neck Deep, The Wonder Years, The Story So Far and State Champs are just a few who have established themselves into Main Stage billings at festivals. Moose Blood have lots of hype behind them, as do Creeper. To say Pop Punk isn't having a resurgence is just silly in all honesty.

I admitted it's going through a popular phase, but there are still only a handful of bands big enough to headline this festival. Those are Blink, Green Day, Paramore and FOB, who would be headline material regardless of any "resurgence". And, out of those bands, they've all headlined recently, surely it's too soon to have then again. Green Day, maybe, but the other two I can't see it. There's no way YM@6 are big enough as well, nor do they have any kind of legendary status. Weakest headliner since Razorlight by far in that regard.

Also, I must have missed all this critical acclaim, because I've not seen a review of the Blink record that wasn't negative or, at best, average. I'm sure Kerrang named it album of the decade or something but the less said About them the better eh. On Green Day, while we're at it, I wasn't saying it was a bad song. It's definitely passable, although a bit generic, but not terrible. I don't think the album is going to sell well though. Green Day fans aside, there's not been a lot if hype outside of pop-punk circles really.

4 hours ago, conroy17 said:

nah Tame are huge; you're really underestimating their broad appeal. If the next album is as popular as Currents they'll headline outright no question but for the moment co's or v strong sub.

as for the emo query- my guess is that you've got people in their late teens / early 20's who listened to that when they were younger and will pay to see it at R&L for nothing more than nostalgia purposes- obviously that's only in addition to those who listen it to currently-they're still immensely popular bands but that goes without saying.

Not really underestimating them, I'm actually a huge fan of theirs, but they've not been at this level of popularity for long, and they won't have released another record come the festival. I could see them co-headlining but they'd need another big record to become an outright headliner imo.

10 hours ago, thelemon said:

When I call it irrelevant, I understand that there are a lot of those bands around, but there aren't any big enough to headline aside from Blink, Green Day and Paramore, and they'd still be in consideration regardless because of their legacy. YM@6 are really nowhere near the size a R+L headliner should be, they'll be there or thereabouts because the festival loves them, but if that's headline-size then I'd be very surprised. Blink and Paramore just headlined, it would be disappointing for them to be there again, and I don't think they will be, I'm pretty sure Biffy were headlining only because someone else pulled out. 

Well if YM@6, having sold out a fairly long arena tour, aren't anywhere near headline size, then there really aren't many bands like that, nor are there very many at all getting close to it.

20 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Well that new Kings of Leon single is gonna be all over the radio very soon.

aye it's very catchy. i don't hate it. it's nothing to write home about but it's not terrible either. as bad as they got i still hope they'll release a decent album at some point. Mechanical Bull was a step in the right direction so hopefully this one will be another