2017 festival

kaosmark2

8 minutes ago, huntyyy said:

That was also me. I'm not sure how I phrased it on those boards but what I meant was: Bmth were booked to Headline Download. A bigger band came along and said "Hey, we'd like to headline Download but we can only play the day you have Bring me the Horizon playing". Download said to BMTH "Hey, we're going to pay X band to play aswell so you'll have to play before them is that Ok?" to which BMTH replied "Nah mate that won't be particularly beneficial to our careers considering we're big enough to headline outright, and sure as hell bigger than one of your other headliners, we'll just see if that offer we had from RandL to headline still stands".

hm interesting. the 'bigger than one of your other headliners' bit especially would lead me to believe that we're wrong about one of the headliners currently in the mix (Metallica, Green Day, Guns N Roses, A7X) unless they consider themselves bigger than A7X which i guess a case could be argued for. if true guess the new album is coming sooner than i expected, although i do wonder if they could be a co-headliner (along with Royal Blood) instead of an all out headliner. them stepping up as an all out headliner so soon after subbing seems a little off to me, but guess that's just me having any faith in R/L's booking policy

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, foolee said:

I think even I said Kasabian in my prediction but there isn't anything concrete about them actually returning next year is there?

Nothing concrete but it just seems like a fair guess - new album on the way, would sell tickets, haven't played in a while etc. I do think The Killers are in the exact same position tho. 

10 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

How do you know about this? I presume the offer is for next year?, as they aren't as big as Rammstein, Sabbath or Maiden from this year and I'm be sure enough that it wasn't Rammstein replacing BMTH.

All 2017.

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

hm interesting. the 'bigger than one of your other headliners' bit especially would lead me to believe that we're wrong about one of the headliners currently in the mix (Metallica, Green Day, Guns N Roses, A7X) unless they consider themselves bigger than A7X which i guess a case could be argued for. if true guess the new album is coming sooner than i expected, although i do wonder if they could be a co-headliner (along with Royal Blood) instead of an all out headliner. them stepping up as an all out headliner so soon after subbing seems a little off to me, but guess that's just me having any faith in R/L's booking policy

I would imagine BMTH consider themselves to be bigger than Avenged Sevenfold. I can't think of anyone else potentially headlining Download next year that would fit that description. I'd argue that in the UK BMTH are a bigger band than Avenged anyway. No concrete idea what bearing it'll have on Reading and Leeds or if they'll actually get to play but I THINK they are very likely to and honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them play RandL on a day with You Me At Six. Now whether that's in a Co-Headline capacity or with You Me At Six subbing them, I could see either happening depending on how YmaS album sells. I'd imagine BMTH won't be releasing a new album by next summer but that they would be the closing shows of the TTS cycle.

I don't think Royal Blood will play Reading next year. Whore themselves out to every festival that'll have them next year, then headline reading the following year.

Just now, huntyyy said:

All 2017.

I would imagine BMTH consider themselves to be bigger than Avenged Sevenfold. I can't think of anyone else potentially headlining Download next year that would fit that description. I'd argue that in the UK BMTH are a bigger band than Avenged anyway. No concrete idea what bearing it'll have on Reading and Leeds or if they'll actually get to play but I THINK they are very likely to and honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them play RandL on a day with You Me At Six. Now whether that's in a Co-Headline capacity or with You Me At Six subbing them, I could see either happening depending on how YmaS album sells. I'd imagine BMTH won't be releasing a new album by next summer but that they would be the closing shows of the TTS cycle.

I don't think Royal Blood will play Reading next year. Whore themselves out to every festival that'll have them next year, then headline reading the following year.

although That's The Spirit was released after their sub slot last year, them headlining R/L on the arse end of the tour with no  new material would seem pretty damn weak to me (even as a co-headliner). guess we shall have to wait and see

be surprised if Royal Blood don't play next year though. i assume they've been locked in for a long time (and, similarly to Foals and Disclosure this year, will have free reign to play other festivals as well as their co-headline slot)

Royal Blood/Bring Me The Horizon co-headlining with You Me At Six below seems like something that could well happen

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

At the time of booking BMTH with their tour would be bigger than them, they have also sold out a fair wack of their two O2 dates, the standing at least and decent seats anyway. Plus A7X have a stronger support overall than BMTH, Disturbed have done their own arena tour previously. 

The answer to why Download were offering a loyalty scheme for next year is quite simple, because Copping had Metallica, A7X and BMTH booked and overall it's not really exciting, the worst I could think of anyway. GNR are not in the mix at all, SOAD more so if they have come along. It better now be them because that's virtually £100 overall for the day and I'd rather see them on their own tour/single announced date that will fly out again. This also explains why it's most likely not Green Day as they have BST all agreed up.

42 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

although That's The Spirit was released after their sub slot last year, them headlining R/L on the arse end of the tour with no  new material would seem pretty damn weak to me (even as a co-headliner). guess we shall have to wait and see

be surprised if Royal Blood don't play next year though. i assume they've been locked in for a long time (and, similarly to Foals and Disclosure this year, will have free reign to play other festivals as well as their co-headline slot)

Royal Blood/Bring Me The Horizon co-headlining with You Me At Six below seems like something that could well happen

YM@6 are not returning to play lower than sub, I am almost sure of it and if I am wrong then so be it. They won't be playing below RB and BMTH, they have worked their way up the certain and already toured way bigger than RB and hit their bigger tours before BMTH too. They are exactly what will sell tickets to R&L and some predictions have had BMTH and YM@6 as a co-headliner or headliner and sub like hunty suggested for that reason. If Shikari/TOP pilots are main stage, under them is perfect for them.

For Reading, them two one day, Kasabian and RB and Paramore with any amount of sub options mentioned.

That's not how that happened, Disclosure appear to have been booked to close Other stage before that and were never lined up with Foals, whatever it was fell through for R&L so they got Disclosure in after....hence why they ended up with to co-headliners as two Glasto subs basically.

Edited by thewayiam

2 hours ago, Speedy17 said:

BMTH/Royal Blood - YMAS            NME Jake Bugg

Kasabian - Catfish & The Bottlemen          NME Enter Shikari 

Kanye - Major Lazer          NME Twenty One Pilots

I could see that lineup selling really well. Especially day tickets for the Sunday

BMTH playing R&L as the final shows of the That's The Spirit touring cycle would be pretty cool, I think. They started the cycle at R&L, and they would end it a significantly bigger band. They only played Drown, Throne and Happy Song from the album last time, and they now play Follow You, Avalanche, True Friends and Oh No from it too, so that's quite a chunk of new material from last time. 

They've got a crazy fan base so they will always shift tickets. As a long time fan of them (from when Suicide Season dropped), I for one know I wouldn't be bothered about them only subbing two years before when it means seeing them play their first headline slot. It would be something special for their fans. Get YMAS on before them and tickets would fly out. 

8 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I'm certain I know the answer already, but do we think there is any chance of the Misfits playing R&L? After the comeback show they've talked about continuing the reunion and even making a new album.  If R&L got them on a UK exclusive, would enough people care?

I'd expect them to do a One off London show around Groezrock

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I'm certain I know the answer already, but do we think there is any chance of the Misfits playing R&L? After the comeback show they've talked about continuing the reunion and even making a new album.  If R&L got them on a UK exclusive, would enough people care?

no one would care

Hi, long time reader, first time poster, 

Having gone to Reading this year, camped in Orange with earlybird, I really enjoyed it and will be going again next year. Giving my opinions on next year, my absolute dream headliners would be (although very unrealistic and very wishful thinking on my part): 

Friday: Linkin Park

Saturday: Eminem

Sunday: Foo Fighters

What do people think are the chances of Drake doing it? Would places like Wireless which he did last year be better suited for someone like Drake?

5 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Given the very small crowds for the likes of Faith no More, At the Drive-In, Nine Inch Nails, Dillinger Escape Plan etc, I think more people would be interested in Tinnie Tempah, Stormzy or Skepta than Misfits at Leeds. 

Think this year will be the last time we see anything like what we got on the Saturday of Reading in the Pit. I know Daniel P Carter loves that stuff and fair play to him for trying to bring great challenging stuff like that to such a mainstream festival, but ultimately people going just don't give a shit and the people who do give a shit about that stuff aren't going. 

Theyd be far better off having two days of Lock Up style acts and 1 day of Pit acts going forward imo as what's the point in booking stuff like Dillinger and Giraffe Tongue Orchestra if nobody cares?

Edited by Pop Punk Sucks

2 hours ago, HornetMan said:

Hi, long time reader, first time poster, 

Having gone to Reading this year, camped in Orange with earlybird, I really enjoyed it and will be going again next year. Giving my opinions on next year, my absolute dream headliners would be (although very unrealistic and very wishful thinking on my part): 

Friday: Linkin Park

Saturday: Eminem

Sunday: Foo Fighters

What do people think are the chances of Drake doing it? Would places like Wireless which he did last year be better suited for someone like Drake?

Linkin Park seems like a good shout.
I'd say Gorillaz have a chance as well next year even though no one seems to have pointed them out.

41 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Think this year will be the last time we see anything like what we got on the Saturday of Reading in the Pit. I know Daniel P Carter loves that stuff and fair play to him for trying to bring great challenging stuff like that to such a mainstream festival, but ultimately people going just don't give a shit and the people who do give a shit about that stuff aren't going. 

Theyd be far better off having two days of Lock Up style acts and 1 day of Pit acts going forward imo as what's the point in booking stuff like Dillinger and Giraffe Tongue Orchestra if nobody cares?

Absolutely agree. Do you listen to the That's Not Metal Podcast? Hill' thoughts reflect this a thousand fold.

39 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

My mate wore a Misfits T-shirt to Reading this year and a girl we were talking to said 'great show, we've been watching it on Netflix'

ha ha

Worse than the people who think the Ramones are a Tshirt designer label.

Not really, because Misfits actually is a TV show. Seems like a fair enough misunderstanding to me.

11 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Never listened to their podcasts as don't tend to listen to podcasts in general. What did he/she say? 

Just that Reading has changed so much and that the heavy bands booked on those stages had crap crowds all weekend, so why would these bands continue to be booked when they aren't drawing people in? And that in the world of R&L, heavy music is now an afterthought.  It was a really interesting and insightful take on the festival. It was on last week's episode if you fancy checking it out, the discussion only lasts around 20mins.