2017 festival

kaosmark2

1 hour ago, BeddingatReading said:

Slipknot are touring. Are they in with a shout of headlining? 

Do you mean touring now or later? If they were about next summer then I could see it; they're a new headliner that are - in a sense - 'current' and big enough to not have to orchestrate any bullshit to pass it off. There was a rumour about a UK Knotfest next year at Knebworth so maybe if they do tour it'll just end up being that.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Sorry to go all Gazza but You Me at Six still have tix to sell for a 2k capacity gig at Leeds O2 Academy next month and y'all still talking about them headlining the 80k cap festival there next year? Jake Bugg has a sold out gig there and he was just described as 'NME sub if that'.

Bmth couldn't sell out the academy in glasgow last November

7 hours ago, Andre91 said:

That's been my biggest gripe with Twenty One Pilots. I've always understood why people like them, it isn't as if they some complete garbage where I'm like, "How is this so popular!?". But I've never allowed myself to come to like them (until fairly recently where I actually like a couple of songs when I heard them) because I can not see why the rock press is strapping a rocket to them when they have absolutely nothing to do with that world at all. How is the state of rock supposed to improve in the mainstream when it's media are championing bands that haven't even got anything to do with it? Another band in that bracket are PVRIS. Do I like PVRIS? Yeah. But are they a rock band? No, they're not. It's just diluting things to the point where it is unrecognisable. In the long run it is only going to damage the rock world. Thankfully I can't see either being a long term fixture.

I thought that when the likes of Linkin Park came out. WTF is this doing on here, it isn't rock. And spikey hair mince like Blink and Offspring. You get used to it eventually and I even like the old LP stuff now. :)

I saw 21 Pilots at Download though and really thought they were a strange booking. They tried really hard though and you could tell that there was something about them. Start of the day on 2nd stage........that ain't going to happen again for a very long time.

2 hours ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

You can't really compare Linkin Park, The Offspring or blink 182 to twenty one pilots of PVRIS though. They're watering it down to the point of no return. You've got the Kerrang editor saying stuff like Thrice are boring and crap on Twitter, but then saying Lynn Gunn is the biggest rock star in the world. 

The kerrang editor is a fucking moron. He once tweeted that he wouldn't even listen to a band if they didn't have 'a look'. 

14 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

it'd sell well, but not for Linkin Park that's for sure. i don't think Linkin Park would go down terribly, but in 2017 it'd be a bit of an odd booking when there are tons of other more currently popular acts who could headline

also Kendrick will be headlining when he next plays imo - probably more likely to be 2018/19 than next year though

I loved LP, not even so heavy on their 1st stuff now though, but I'm fairly sure FR won't book them.

13 hours ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Don't be so sure that would sell that well. That looks more like a Download lineup to a Reading lineup.

It's not, it has Foo's on there.

3 hours ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

You can't really compare Linkin Park, The Offspring or blink 182 to twenty one pilots of PVRIS though. They're watering it down to the point of no return. You've got the Kerrang editor saying stuff like Thrice are boring and crap on Twitter, but then saying Lynn Gunn is the biggest rock star in the world. 

Thrice are a top quality band, as proved in Reading last week, if the Kerrang editor thinks they are boring or crap and champion Pvris then there is no hope for the mag.

37 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Thrice are a top quality band, as proved in Reading last week, if the Kerrang editor thinks they are boring or crap and champion Pvris then there is no hope for the mag.

Just flicked over to Kerrang TV.

The song playing looks and sounds like a pop song.What has happened to Kerrang???

EDIT....the song has just finished, it was Against the Current, young and relentless

Edited by rivalschools.price

13 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Just flicked over to Kerrang TV.

The song playing looks and sounds like a pop song.What has happened to Kerrang???

EDIT....the song has just finished, it was Against the Current, young and relentless

To be fair to Against the Current.. bearing in mind I know NOTHING about them and haven't listened to them on kerrang or online or whatever, but I saw some of their set from the bar at the back of the Zippo stage in Download this year and they sounded seriously good, didn't have a clue who they were but they grabbed our attention and they were very like 'pop punky', more pop than pop punk if anything even haha, but they did seem pretty good live, and I forgot about them and will have to give them a listen now you've reminded me of them!

I hope they're not god awful after I just wrote all that..

Edit:  Well I managed 1:09 of that song 'Young and Relentless' and it's safe to say.. not for me

Edited by coreyt409

Against The Current are their new pet project. A band that are almost entirely style over substance and centred around an attractive girl. Pretty sure both front covers that ATC have had have had the female lead singer in seductive and suggest able poses. 

They did a feature on Women in Rock but at the last minute seemed to drop it as the lead story from the front cover so they could have Against The Current on the front instead.  

Kerrang is the best selling music magazine in the country by miles due to the fact that they know their target audience exceptionally well and know that bands like PVRIS, Twenty One Pilots and Against the Current appeal to their market

In an industry where the money has shifted from physical sales to licensing and branding the knock-on effect is more bands that can sell merch and soundtrack trailers/adverts being pushed

If Kerrang decided to back bands like Thrice, Brand New, Sunny Day Real Estate, And So I Watch You from Afar, take your pick, the magazine would fold pretty speedily because the fans of those sort of bands wouldn't bother spending £5 a week to get their music news when they can just get it for free from a myriad of sources online

Even if these publications catered for you that probably wouldn't be enough for you to buy a copy every week anyway, so that's why they don't try

Ultimately the music press is fighting extinction and its only means of survival is to almost exclusively push acts that are overtly commercial and appeal to a consumer base who are naive enough to pay for something that everyone else gets for free

The other reason why these non rock bands get in to Kerrang is because of the punk rock aesthetic. TOP are wearing the same red eyed make up and eyeliner that Gerard Way and Pete Wentz did in 2004, 5SOS wear the clothes and hair like all time low and Green Day, and against the current take the same type of press kit photoshoots as the distillers or paramore.

The other good example of this is Chvrches broad appeal, they're an edm act at their core, but the way they present themselves and the scene they come up in, alongside twilight sad, twin Atlantic, fatherson etc gives them a fan base of everyone from Kerrang readers, indie fans and anyone with a drop of Scottish blood

15 hours ago, rawaudioinput said:

Kerrang is the best selling music magazine in the country by miles due to the fact that they know their target audience exceptionally well and know that bands like PVRIS, Twenty One Pilots and Against the Current appeal to their market

In an industry where the money has shifted from physical sales to licensing and branding the knock-on effect is more bands that can sell merch and soundtrack trailers/adverts being pushed

If Kerrang decided to back bands like Thrice, Brand New, Sunny Day Real Estate, And So I Watch You from Afar, take your pick, the magazine would fold pretty speedily because the fans of those sort of bands wouldn't bother spending £5 a week to get their music news when they can just get it for free from a myriad of sources online

Even if these publications catered for you that probably wouldn't be enough for you to buy a copy every week anyway, so that's why they don't try

Ultimately the music press is fighting extinction and its only means of survival is to almost exclusively push acts that are overtly commercial and appeal to a consumer base who are naive enough to pay for something that everyone else gets for free

In fairness though, it's been a long time since Thrice were in any sort of lime light, they disappeared, came back and nobody cared really. They were booked to play a fest last year that folded and didn't even make it. People cared about ASIWYFA for a year.

15 hours ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

If they have to push Against The Current, PVRIS, twenty one pilots and 5 Seconds of Summer to remain alive... what's even the point? 

If that is what some people like then they do, each to their own....I don't like the latter two, I can listen to the 1st two.

38 minutes ago, redyellowedge said:

The other reason why these non rock bands get in to Kerrang is because of the punk rock aesthetic. TOP are wearing the same red eyed make up and eyeliner that Gerard Way and Pete Wentz did in 2004, 5SOS wear the clothes and hair like all time low and Green Day, and against the current take the same type of press kit photoshoots as the distillers or paramore.

The other good example of this is Chvrches broad appeal, they're an edm act at their core, but the way they present themselves and the scene they come up in, alongside twilight sad, twin Atlantic, fatherson etc gives them a fan base of everyone from Kerrang readers, indie fans and anyone with a drop of Scottish blood

Chvrches are not an EDM act.

3 hours ago, redyellowedge said:

See, you say that. But it's a singer and two guys playing synths. Sure it's not edm as in rave or house, but deep down its electronic dance music. As is most current pop music

No it's synth pop, literally completely different to EDM. House isn't a type of EDM, they're two completely separate sub genres.