2017 festival

kaosmark2

34 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They'd be an acceptable sub (tho sub can quite often also be 3rd down now) next year, I reckon. They shift massive numbers very quickly and and a big exclusive show before a headliner with crossover would be quite a big seller.

Suppose yeah, forgot how quickly they sold castlefield and some of their other dates. Sub on exclusive behind someone like Kasabian or co headliners seems fair

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that what the X is for? Tho it'd be 11 years since that album next year wunnit? Could be no reunion and just a ten year reissue of that now you mention.

MCR headlining again would be pretty successful I reckon, but I'm too far down the Blink route to entertain that and I dunno if both would headline the same year.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Is that what the X is for? Tho it'd be 11 years since that album next year wunnit? Could be no reunion and just a ten year reissue of that now you mention.

MCR headlining again would be pretty successful I reckon, but I'm too far down the Blink route to entertain that and I dunno if both would headline the same year.

The teaser hints at date in Sept, also it's their first activity on Twitter since April 2015, if it's a mere re-release then that's a shocking way tease it. I seriously hope Download have Blink. I'd give them (Blink) another chance if they toured but with the likes of Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Queens of the Stone Age, Guns N' Roses, Green Day, Paramore either in studio or in talks to be in Europe next summer it'd be such a waste if Blink played again

I was confident MCR would reform but they've only been gone for 5 minutes for fuck's sake, surely they're not back together already?!

I quite like them to be honest and would like to see them so I hope that's what this is though. Last album wasn't up to much but the two before it are great imo.

Edited by Odessa

2 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

The teaser hints at date in Sept, also it's their first activity on Twitter since April 2015, if it's a mere re-release then that's a shocking way tease it. I seriously hope Download have Blink. I'd give them (Blink) another chance if they toured but with the likes of Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Queens of the Stone Age, Guns N' Roses, Green Day, Paramore either in studio or in talks to be in Europe next summer it'd be such a waste if Blink played again

Radiohead, QOTSA and Green Day. I'd happily fork out for a full price ticket without even looking at the rest of the lineup...

34 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Well yeah, they wouldn't have released any reissues in the past fifteen months would they? :P Plus it's got us talking about it. The date they're teasing is a Friday so it'll be a release of some sort. It'll probably be a new single for their upcoming reunion.

Yeah Blink shouldn't have really had the last chance either but FR seem to be what's propping them at headline status in this country - in others they're usually either below-headline or mid-sized festival headliners. But it'd be typical for them to rebook them again off the back of this album.

Apart from the last one or two, I don't think the acts you listed have much chance of featuring. GNR will be doing their own thing, I don't think Queens will be ready, Pearl Jam will be touring early summer and I don't see R+L trying to persuade the to do a second leg and I guess if Radiohead didn't happen this year then it won't happen next time. I think Green Day are much more likely for IOW too as Giddings has been vocal about getting them and the acts he usually shouts about end up playing.

33 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I was confident MCR would reform but they've only been gone for 5 minutes for fuck's sake, surely they're not back together already?!

I quite like them to be honest and would like to see them so I hope that's what this is though. Last album wasn't up to much but the two before it are great imo.

It's like LCD though, innit? They all left on great terms, all continued making music so it would only be a matter of time, I guess why none of us are surprised. The last album did so badly that even if this was a planned move to break up for such a short time then it'll probably work pretty well.

Edited by dentalplan

19 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It's like LCD though, innit? They all left on great terms, all continued making music so it would only be a matter of time, I guess why none of us are surprised. The last album did so badly that even if this was a planned move to break up for such a short time then it'll probably work pretty well.

Yeah, I think we're going to see more and more bands choose to "split up" rather than just have a break for a couple of years because of all the hype reunions manage to get. It's clever really, and it's what Bloc Party should have done.

1 hour ago, JSmurphy said:

I doubt QOTSA, Radiohead or Pearl Jam are going to headline Reading again. 

This is now your issue, bands they would book who appeal to the masses are few now. MCR on an exclusive would be a good booking. 

5 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I doubt QOTSA, Radiohead or Pearl Jam are going to headline Reading again. 

This is now your issue, bands they would book who appeal to the masses are few now. MCR on an exclusive would be a good booking. 

There's a chance of QOTSA, but the other two, nah. 

Kasabian, Blink 182 and My Chemical Romance then. Reckon that'll be it? 

28 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Yeah that sounds like a decent trio

Royal Blood probably subbing glastonbury or elsewhere - putting them out of the picture for 2017

I actually think - if we compare 2016's headliners to that they seem pretty equal in size

Just now, Matt42 said:

Royal Blood probably subbing glastonbury or elsewhere - putting them out of the picture for 2017

I actually think - if we compare 2016's headliners to that they seem pretty equal in size

Royal Blood subbing Glasto wouldn't really put them out of the picture considering Foals have just done that. I'd feel robbed of a headliner though if Royal Blood end up as one unless this second album is even more well received than the first. 

Compared to this year, if we call it Foals, Biffy and Chilis as the headliners, then I'd say this potential 3 is slightly stronger. I don't want Blink or Kasabian though.

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

With Foals subbing Glastonbury this year and Disclosure also playing I don't think that's a problem anymore.

39 minutes ago, Odessa said:

It's possible, but I think MCR and Blink the same year is a bit too much in one area or something. I think one or the other will be at Download. They always have a new headliner as well so something would have to let up from that trio.

Queens are heading to the studio at the end of this year so haven't even begun working on the album; I doubt they'll be around next summer as much as I hope I'm wrong on that one. I doubt they'd return so soon either.

Edited by dentalplan

3 hours ago, Odessa said:

Look at own avatar please.

I thought it'd be a longer wait, but omfg get me to those MCR gigs.

that little MCR teaser leads me to believe it's a Black Parade anniversary tour, but i sure do hope there's more to it than just a few shows. i'd absolutely love new material from them, even if it does seem far too soon

if it's just a Black Parade reissue then... well how boring

Edited by FloorFiller

17 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

BMTH/Royal Blood (co-headline), Kasabian, MCR. 

surely BMTH will be finished touring That's The Spirit and won't have a new album ready in time for next year? they'd have to have a pretty fast recording process in order to make that deadline considering they're still touring TTP now, and i doubt they'd be in a rush to get a new one out. 2018 for them to return as a festival headliner (whether it be R/L or Download)

43 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

surely BMTH will be finished touring That's The Spirit and won't have a new album ready in time for next year? they'd have to have a pretty fast recording process in order to make that deadline considering they're still touring TTP now, and i doubt they'd be in a rush to get a new one out. 2018 for them to return as a festival headliner (whether it be R/L or Download)

I dunno. They could wrap up their euro tours this year, do some rest of the world tours at the start of the year and then have a festival headline slot at Download. They'd bill it as their only festival date that summer etc. Regardless of what part of the album tour cycle you're on, I think a first major headline festival show will still draw a crowd, especially if it's the only one that year. 

6 minutes ago, endswithMJ said:

I dunno. They could wrap up their euro tours this year, do some rest of the world tours at the start of the year and then have a festival headline slot at Download. They'd bill it as their only festival date that summer etc. Regardless of what part of the album tour cycle you're on, I think a first major headline festival show will still draw a crowd, especially if it's the only one that year. 

didn't somebody on here say that they apparently turned down headlining Download this year? so don't see why they'd want to do it next year on the arse end of their tour instead - be much better to do it with a new album and show under their belt instead of the same thing people have seen them do for the past two summers in lower positions