2017 festival

kaosmark2

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

After the shambles of Download this year....

Sorry, what happened there? I thought they'd be nailed on for R&L this year but as someone mentioned earlier they've apparently pulled/not bothered with European activity

49 minutes ago, Couchy said:

Sorry, what happened there? I thought they'd be nailed on for R&L this year but as someone mentioned earlier they've apparently pulled/not bothered with European activity

Nothing's happened. Gazza thinks it's shit and obviously if Gazza doesn't like something it's a shambles. Like Foals headlining R&L.

1 hour ago, Couchy said:

Poor lineup overall, bands being bumped to high and lazyness in not replacing bands I think covers it.

On 30/03/2016 at 7:12 PM, thewayiam said:

I'll be amazed if R/L get GNR over Download.

The festivals are part of the same company. Download will likely get them just to ward off Sonisphere.

1 hour ago, dylangraham said:

Kasabian

Green Day

Pendulum/Chase & Status (coheadliners)

Edit: or if they don't do any coheadliners next year replace pendulum/c&s with Kanye

Don't really see it, Kasabian have only released one album since they last headlined and it didn't exactly do great. Green Day maybe, depends if they have new material out by then. Pendulum maybe, Chase and Status i doubt, the last album did so badly that they'd be lucky to retain their sub spot and the new singles so far have been very poor imo.

I'm going for:

Green Day
Royal Blood/Alt-J co-headline
Muse if they are still touring, if not then Foo Fighters. (Hoping that either Muse or Foos play)

2 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

The festivals are part of the same company. Download will likely get them just to ward off Sonisphere.

Don't really see it, Kasabian have only released one album since they last headlined and it didn't exactly do great. Green Day maybe, depends if they have new material out by then. Pendulum maybe, Chase and Status i doubt, the last album did so badly that they'd be lucky to retain their sub spot and the new singles so far have been very poor imo.

I'm going for:

Green Day
Royal Blood/Alt-J co-headline
Muse if they are still touring, if not then Foo Fighters. (Hoping that either Muse or Foos play)

Green Day have headlined more recently than Kasabian, released 0 albums since they last played and their last album did a fuck tonne worse than Kasabian's...

If Kasabian are around next year with new material they're extremely likely. Probably the most likely candidate imo.

Just now, Will-2609 said:

Green Day have headlined more recently than Kasabian, released 0 albums since they last played and their last album did a fuck tonne worse than Kasabian's...

If Kasabian are around next year with new material they're extremely likely. Probably the most likely candidate imo.

Green Day are so much larger than Kasabian that they can get away with a poor album easier. They hardly played a song of the new album last time and they were fantastic. Kasabians last two albums haven't done that well, they're albums do progressively worse each time they come out, unless the next album does well i'd be surprised to see them headline. Green Day won't headline unless they get a new album out, if they do then they're very likely. It's far too early to have any realistic idea of who might headline as there's too many ifs and buts to know, once we know bands are in the studio then we will have an idea of who would look to be touring next summer, but as yet we have little to nothing to go on.

Kasabian

Guns N' Roses

Pendulum or Royal Blood (or both)

I agree with Will, Kasabian I'm most confident with, been a while since they headlined and I'm sure they'd be well received. If we believe that Biffy / FOB was a backup to a Guns N' Roses cancellation, I imagine R&L would be keen on getting them booked again. GnR may also perhaps feel inclined to accept a similar offer, if indeed, they cancelled late on. Pendulum and Royal Blood are self-explanatory really, one recently reformed with a fair amount of demand (although the Euro plans remain unclear), and Royal Blood, who I think most accept will headline sooner or later - R&L may push to be the first to bump them up. 

If these fall through the usual suspects are all possible, tour schedules permitting - Muse, Foos, Green Day etc. I'd like to think something completely out of left field is possible - Arcade Fire, System of a Down, Radiohead, Daft Punk, but I can't really see any of those getting booked, as well as Chase & Status, who's stock is dropping rapidly. 

36 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Green Day are so much larger than Kasabian that they can get away with a poor album easier.

I'm not normally the voice of reason but if Kasabian release a few new singles or album it would make them R&L headliners again. Green Day aren't that relevant for the crowd it pulls. Then again Blink 182

39 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Kasabian

Guns N' Roses

Pendulum or Royal Blood (or both)

I agree with Will, Kasabian I'm most confident with, been a while since they headlined and I'm sure they'd be well received. If we believe that Biffy / FOB was a backup to a Guns N' Roses cancellation, I imagine R&L would be keen on getting them booked again. GnR may also perhaps feel inclined to accept a similar offer, if indeed, they cancelled late on. Pendulum and Royal Blood are self-explanatory really, one recently reformed with a fair amount of demand (although the Euro plans remain unclear), and Royal Blood, who I think most accept will headline sooner or later - R&L may push to be the first to bump them up. 

If these fall through the usual suspects are all possible, tour schedules permitting - Muse, Foos, Green Day etc. I'd like to think something completely out of left field is possible - Arcade Fire, System of a Down, Radiohead, Daft Punk, but I can't really see any of those getting booked, as well as Chase & Status, who's stock is dropping rapidly. 

Would love SoaD to headline but seeing as they subbed back in 2013 and haven't had any music out it won't happen, although a Slipknot/SoaD headline would make my year and get me a ticket instantly.

14 minutes ago, Couchy said:

I'm not normally the voice of reason but if Kasabian release a few new singles or album it would make them R&L headliners again. Green Day aren't that relevant for the crowd it pulls. Then again Blink 182

I think you underestimate Green Days popularity, they're one of the most iconic bands of the 90s and 00s, they're one of the bands that has got to the headliner slot and will probably never drop from it. Blink-182 although my favourite band, i don't see them headlining Reading again, with a new album finished, they'd tour European festivals next year, if at all, which is too soon since the last time (2010, 2014 and 2017 would be absurd) and after that album i think they'll have another longish wait for an album and by then they'd probably be sub headliners or second stage headliners. Kasabian need a good album to re-affrim themselves as the last two albums haven't done anywhere near as good as the previous 3.

It's definitely only a matter of time until Green Day headline again, whether that's next year or not though... very hard to tell. They seem reasonably active on social media so hopefully they've got something in the works soon. Kasabian is nailed on if they're touring really. They're not gonna do Glastonbury again and they only did T last year, so that only really leaves R&L. Unless they could do IoW but I have no idea if they've done that before or if they'd be booked for it again.

I definitely think Kasabian are most likely, if there's anything against them is that it might seem a bit too obvious and R&L might want to throw a curveball/newer act instead. They last headlined in 2012 which would mean a 5 year gap which is more than long enough in R&L terms. They'll have also released 2 albums since they last headlined, providing they release another later this year/some point next year before end of August.

What do people think of the chances of Florence & the Machine headlining in the near future? I think next year is out of the question, doubt she'll be touring then, but I think she'll be nailed on for 2018/19.

26 minutes ago, dylangraham said:

I definitely think Kasabian are most likely, if there's anything against them is that it might seem a bit too obvious and R&L might want to throw a curveball/newer act instead. They last headlined in 2012 which would mean a 5 year gap which is more than long enough in R&L terms. They'll have also released 2 albums since they last headlined, providing they release another later this year/some point next year before end of August.

What do people think of the chances of Florence & the Machine headlining in the near future? I think next year is out of the question, doubt she'll be touring then, but I think she'll be nailed on for 2018/19.

Not a Florence and The Machine fan at all, but it does seems to be when, not if. Still hoping R+L don't go for Kasabian, unless they decided to play the whole of West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum or even Self Titled. Then i would be interested, but sadly the albums aren't iconic/stand out enough to do that with, unlike when Green Day did Dookie in '13. Been trying to think of a few curveball headliners, Blur would be fantastic, although again, i doubt they'll be touring, Linkin Park are overdue, although i don't think they'd go down amazingly unless they played predominantly Hybrid Theory, Meteora and Minutes to Midnight. Slipknot/SoaD co-headline would be amazing, but seriously unlikely

Wonder what the likelihood of R+L getting someone like Bon Jovi or U2 would be, probably not very high, but i think it could work.

3 minutes ago, Couchy said:

Ok I agree with you, Blink was an odd booking, but have you heard Veliceraptor?

The only reason Blink was an odd booking was how recently they had headlined prior. I think they were overall one of the most anticipated acts of the weekend and everyone i spoke to said they were one of the best acts there, so i wasn't alone in that. I have heard Velociraptor and although it is not as bad as their latest, it's still not good.

Edited by Gozpot

3 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

I think they were overall one of the most anticipated acts of the weekend

Same when I went in 2010, you couldn't get a cheap ticket off ebay that year because of Blink on the Sunday

Edit: the Velociraptor bit was sarcastic

Edited by Couchy

Personally for me Kasabian albums go:

1.) Kasabian

2.) Velociraptor

3.) Empire

4.) WRPLA

5.) 48:13

although 48:13 isn't a great album it still has some decent songs and got to number 1 (I know chart positions don't really matter anymore). Still believe Kasabian aren't at the stage when they have to reaffirm their headline status just yet, they'll headline regardless how well the next album does.

Agree them and Green Day seem likely if both are touring next year. Can't see Royal Blood making the jump to headline/co headline just yet, think they may even remain at the same popularity with next album.

Gonna go for:

Green Day

Kasabian

and one of Muse/Florence/Arcade Fire depending on who's touring