2017 festival

kaosmark2

54 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Nah they're long overdue another go headlining R&L. Haven't done it since 2008 and they've had 2 more albums since. On the whole those albums split opinion (they're defo weaker than the first two), but there's nothing wrong with the songs they play live off them. And should be a fifth album by then too. They'd get a bigger crowd than any of 2015's headliners (obviously they're not as big as Metallica but I'd say they're more suited to the festival's audience these days). 

I don't think they'll play again. They're not really a big thing any more amongst the majority of R&L attendees. It'd be like booking Coldplay. They're just not cool to the people who go.

It would be similar to booking Mumford in terms of fanbase, but because Mumford are at a much higher point in their career trajectory than The Killers are they can get away with it.

Kasabian will most likely be there, and Biffy if they don't play this year.

The Killers will be at V either this year or next if they're active.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

I don't think they'll play again. They're not really a big thing any more amongst the majority of R&L attendees. It'd be like booking Coldplay. They're just not cool to the people who go.

It would be similar to booking Mumford in terms of fanbase, but because Mumford are at a much higher point in their career trajectory than The Killers are they can get away with it.

Kasabian will most likely be there, and Biffy if they don't play this year.

The Killers will be at V either this year or next if they're active.

I wouldn't say it's like booking Coldplay. A lot of people would be up for it even if only in the hope for as much old stuff as possible. There's no way Biffy Clyro would be a better booking than The Killers imo.

Hadn't even thought of Kasabian. Probably will be them actually.

13 hours ago, Odessa said:

Nah they're long overdue another go headlining R&L. Haven't done it since 2008 and they've had 2 more albums since. On the whole those albums split opinion (they're defo weaker than the first two), but there's nothing wrong with the songs they play live off them. And should be a fifth album by then too. They'd get a bigger crowd than any of 2015's headliners (obviously they're not as big as Metallica but I'd say they're more suited to the festival's audience these days). 

Now that's where you're wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12 January 2016 at 7:10 PM, Yellow_Fellow said:

except this is empirically valid

if, since 2005, there has been a new headliner every year, it is safe to assume there will probably be a new headliner next year

it isn't subjective, it isn't down to taste, new headliner means something 

unlike "metal sunday" (which had no empirical basis) or no co-headliners (which was an unusual case of broken precedent)

There wasn't a 'new' headliner in 2009, 2011, 2012 or 2013...

Assuming you're talking 'new' as in new to headlining festivals in the UK not just R&L specifically. 

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

2 hours ago, dylangraham said:

Likely - Biffy Clyro, Kasabian

Possible - Kanye West, Guns n Roses, Green Day

Less likely - Gorillaz, Radiohead

imo

My ideal 3 from that would be Biffy, Kanye & Radiohead

I think GNR being possible for next year has all but gone. Copping with chuck the cheque book at them for next June without any doubt and they'll have a very strong set of headliners next year.

Kasabian the most likely for me. Then Biffy if they don't headline this year. Royal Blood as the third but probably co-headlining with somebody if there's a suitable act. Could see alt-J doing it if they're around, and was also toying with the idea of Kendrick doing it. Hoping he gets a Glasto headline slot with his next album, though, if he isn't there this year.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

That would be the weakest set of headliners I can remember. 

I'm going for Arcade Fire, Royal Blood and System Of A Down as headliners, with You Me At Six and Deftones as two of the subs.

You don't think they'll have at least one set of coheads? :P

Still think Royal Blood/alt-J personally. Also GNR and I guess Kasabian as a big indie act. Good call on Deftones btw.

GNR, Deftones, Enter Shikari
Kasabian, Major Lazer, Metronomy
Royal Blood/alt-J, Wolf Alice, Twin Atlantic

Something like that

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

You don't think they'll have at least one set of coheads? :P

Still think Royal Blood/alt-J personally. Also GNR and I guess Kasabian as a big indie act. Good call on Deftones btw.

GNR, Deftones, Enter Shikari
Kasabian, Major Lazer, Metronomy
Royal Blood/alt-J, Wolf Alice, Twin Atlantic

Something like that

I guess Royal Blood and YMAS could be co-headliners :P 

I did think about GNR, but I think they would be more likely for Download in 2017. 

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

I did think about GNR, but I think they would be more likely for Download in 2017. 

I certainly don't think that's unpossible.

And I dunno. I think Download are FR now as well, and if they were chased for R+L this time and it went tits up then perhaps they'll try for R+L maybe? If they don't do Europe at all this year then I think it'll be their own shows next year anyway.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

That would be the weakest set of headliners I can remember. 

I'm going for Arcade Fire, Royal Blood and System Of A Down as headliners, with You Me At Six and Deftones as two of the subs.

How?

Paramore have multiple large tours and already co-headlined at the direct fest crowd for them 3 years previous by then, Kasabian are a header and one of the best live about and YMA6 are will be on own arenas by then and Alt-J had already hit London way bigger than Foals/Disclosure before Reading just gone and have an arena tour under their belt.

And that's weaker than a year with two co-headers playing above their level and lower at other festivals here they'll be appearing at, add that to another tba co-header that won't be exclusive as well.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Royal Blood and YMA6 but not Alt-J and YMA6?, Alt-J are massively bigger.

There is no chance Copping is letting Reading have GNR next year when IOW can take advantage the same weekend as well.

Edited by thewayiam