Festival/Glastonbury saturation point?

gooner1990

Just got back from Sziget this week - can definitely recommend it as a foreign festival.

Great mix of Brits/Europeans (loved Beni, but it was 90% Brits), loads going on, loads of shade in the day - so even though it was 35 degrees, nobody really got sunburn, great selection of food, great selection of cheap drink (you can't take your own in).

Budapest in itself is a fantastic city, also it was also probably the cleanest festival I've ever been to!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to do Roskilde for sure, with the whole extended camp beforehand too - sounds like a very different kinda wild ride.

Roskilde is great. I've been about 6-7 times. However, I went back this year after a few years away, and didn't enjoy it as much. I'm a bit older now and have been at Glastonbury the past few years -- Roskilde doesn't touch it, but nothing does.

If you're in your 20s, do it and go for the whole week preceding. If you're a bit older, I'd avoid that and just go for the festival. The line-up is always fantastically varied. Scandinavians in general are very lovely people.

i like a range of different ones. So Glasto is our only camping one these days now Beacons has packed it in and we stopped going to bestival (we went every year from 08-12 but have stopped going now as its too far from leeds and the crowd has got a lot worse / lineups don't appeal as much)

but we have been to BLOC and the Garden Festival in Croatia this year so its good mix of styles to keep each one different. Also bloc was in march which is nice because its something to look forward to outside of the usual festival season.

I am still looking for new or different festivals to really take things up a notch and blow me away. Bloc definitely did that this year and I am now looking to go to an ATP if the lineup is good enough for me.

Also going to the Garden Party in Leeds this weekend (Leeds' much better located, smaller and nicer version of Parklife) which I'm looking forward to as its the first time they have done it, it'll be a nice new experience and for ONCE i won't have to travel for miles to get to it.

I would love to go to Free Rotation but don't know a member to get an invite, whilst Farr and Gottwood and Field Manouvers look really great for dance fans but the fact there are no bands at all puts me off slightly as i like a mix of both live acts and DJs

If you're in your 20s, do it and go for the whole week preceding. If you're a bit older, I'd avoid that and just go for the festival.

Ah you see I'm a bit of a big kid still, the week before sounds fun the problem is the mates as they did go and grow up the buggers

I'm a bit older now and have been at Glastonbury the past few years -- Roskilde doesn't touch it, but nothing does.

I said that for over a decade, now I'm genuinely more worked up about getting next year's Boomtown nailed down than Glastonbury.

The long-term-flatmate feels the same. Glastonbury still feels like home, but if you like it's range in music away from pop for the excitement and crowd and intensity and creativity there's a new leader by a country mile.

Still wanna do the variety though, comparitors keep things fresher.

Well, if you like going on holidays to warm places and to gigs, it's not exactly the biggest rigmarole in the world.

Hah fair point :) guess it's just a personal thing, I like the uninterrupted alternate reality of festival life oft hindered by barriers and booze limits, let along crossing roads and hotel foyers

i like a range of different ones. So Glasto is our only camping one these days now Beacons has packed it in and we stopped going to bestival (we went every year from 08-12 but have stopped going now as its too far from leeds and the crowd has got a lot worse / lineups don't appeal as much)

but we have been to BLOC and the Garden Festival in Croatia this year so its good mix of styles to keep each one different. Also bloc was in march which is nice because its something to look forward to outside of the usual festival season.

I am still looking for new or different festivals to really take things up a notch and blow me away. Bloc definitely did that this year and I am now looking to go to an ATP if the lineup is good enough for me.

Also going to the Garden Party in Leeds this weekend (Leeds' much better located, smaller and nicer version of Parklife) which I'm looking forward to as its the first time they have done it, it'll be a nice new experience and for ONCE i won't have to travel for miles to get to it.

I would love to go to Free Rotation but don't know a member to get an invite, whilst Farr and Gottwood and Field Manouvers look really great for dance fans but the fact there are no bands at all puts me off slightly as i like a mix of both live acts and DJs

I'd not heard of Garden Party* in Leeds, I'll look out for it in future, cheers. Yep, I was sad to not have Beacons too, it's been really good, but hard to catch or plan for the alternatives around Leeds by the Beacons people. I'm in Calverley, and it was always nice to think of the local scene after the 5 hour hour journey down to Somerset :-)

*Crap, I've just googled it and I'll miss it as we're away :-( next year!

Edited by carlosj