Reproofing waterproof coat

pie_and_a_pint

Advice, please?

I'm ashamed to say my waterproof coat has been hanging up muddy and dirty since I came back from the festival at the end of June... It needs a wash - have only ever had cheapy cagoules before which I've just washed in cold water, but this coat's a bit more decent and needs properly looking after.  Is the 'wash and proof' stuff any good or is it too good to be true? Or should I wash in water only (I know detergent is bad for it) and then proof with a spray? Any advice/recommendations for reputable brands of proofing welcome - the man in Mountain Warehouse was only interested in getting as much money out of me as possible but didn't seem to be able to answer my genuine questions about what was the best thing to do!

Thanks!

I am a keen mountaineer as well as festival goer and so have a lot of experience in maintaining waterproof gear.

Put the washing machine on without anything in it. No clothes or washing powder etc. This will flush the detergent out of the system.

Now....if the coat is a real mess....wash at low temperature using soap flakes. Then wash on Nikwax techwash. If you can get the coat reasonably clean by hand washing first in just water then just do that then reproof with the Nikwax

I've reproofed lots of GoreTex and Event waterproofs this way. It's worth spending the money on Nikwax if the coats decent :)