Wilderness festival

Thearg

Anyone know anything about this festival,is it any good?

Any night time stuff etc?

I noticed that they are quite strict on alcohol,no spirits,whats up with that,a bit controlling.

Anyway cheers

I'm off there today - it looks a bit over controlled compared to Glasto.  Book this, book that, reserve the other.... but then again George Clinton/Parliament will be there, also Bjork, Ibibio Sound Machine, Elle and Pocket Belles, so there's scope for loads of good stuff.  Stages and the rest seem to close at 2 am though.  What's all that about???

Oh yes, and programmes cost £8!!! And that's the only way you're going to get a map of the site.  hmmmmmm......

I'm off there today - it looks a bit over controlled compared to Glasto.  Book this, book that, reserve the other.... but then again George Clinton/Parliament will be there, also Bjork, Ibibio Sound Machine, Elle and Pocket Belles, so there's scope for loads of good stuff.  Stages and the rest seem to close at 2 am though.  What's all that about???

Oh yes, and programmes cost £8!!! And that's the only way you're going to get a map of the site.  hmmmmmm......

Never been but I've only ever heard good things about it - produced by the same people who used to produce Secret Garden so has a similar feel but more grown up - however is part owned by Mama Group (now Live Nation) so there is going to be quite a bit of "corporate" activity to it such as the £8 programmes.

Never been but I've only ever heard good things about it - produced by the same people who used to produce Secret Garden so has a similar feel but more grown up - however is part owned by Mama Group (now Live Nation) so there is going to be quite a bit of "corporate" activity to it such as the £8 programmes.

Back now, and I have to say it was much better than I expected. Sure stuff was expensive - but not all of it.  You could for example, spend £2 to use the composting loo's next to the main stage... or you could walk and queue for a few mins and spend no money at all at the portaloos.  High concentration of fancy dress, security could be a bit intrusive going in and out of the site, but a pretty friendly crowd and some great acts.  Top vote goes to Fag Junky who kept the party roaring along while bjork was doing her best to bring everyone down.  I'd go again, but not till I've saved up a bit.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Decided to give this festival a go this year as it fitted in and is half an hour down the road from me so thought I'd do a quick review as not much is known about it on these boards

I would say that it's not about the music at this festival more about the experience and especially the food
I didn't go for one of the pre booked restaurants  on site but with the marquees set up like wedding receptions with celebrity chefs etc it looked second to none
We did have a wrap from Hix though,they had a set up outside doing various wraps to passing punters and they were good,none of the flat stuff you get from a supermarket,they were obviously made by them and the piri piri chicken filling was delicious,one thing I thought I'd never hear at a festival ''Two wraps on the pass'' followed by a chorus of ''Yes chef'' made me chuckle
The weather was glorious all weekend and there were a lot of people swimming in the lakes/ponds,If I go next time I'll bring some trunks
On the website there seemed to be heavy restrictions on what alcohol you could bring but this wasn't really implemented and you could take whatever in from the campsite to the arena with no bag searches
The bands didn't start til 3pm which is fine by me as I'm not an early riser and gave you time to check out other stuff.it was nice to listen to a few of the talks sitting under the tree with a few early afternoon cocktails
They could of done spending a bit more on the bands,there wasn't a whole lot of choice but the quality was good.Robert plant being epic with a heavy as in a lot of Zepp but as I say this festival is more about the experience
The night time stuff was all about the valley,the nearest thing site wise I've seen to the old Goa full moon parties back in the nineties,it really took me back,thousands of people dancing away in this little valley surrounded by trees and lasers etc was pretty awesome
The last night was the best we caught the last twenty minutes of Goldie doing a few back to the early days tunes followed by Tom Middleton doing party music,Talking heads once in a lifetime being a particular favourite and going down a storm
Very friendly people at this festival,got chatting and had a hoot with loads of people,If anyone had any preconceptions about stuck up posh southerners they would of been wiped away here but yes It is definitely a more well to do affair
Would I go again? Yes had a great weekend,good music,interesting talks and great food but the valley was the star of the show

• 2 weeks later...

Realised I never posted after this - just went down for the Lips mainly but it is a fantastic festival. Loved it and hopefully will go down with War Child once again next year. And judging by the little poll they put up they have a lot of fantastic acts potentially on the cards for next year so fingers crossed.

Btw in response to the poster above, I spent much of the weekend working on the gates and the alcohol restrictions were being enforced but quite sporadically and inconsistently. Seemed to be much stricter on the family gate but it is a bit of a dice roll.