Glasto Green Survey

rubenz

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an over 50 veteran and I've never left anything behind.  The biggest problem is if you encourage people to come by public transport they are less inclined to take home a dirty, wet or broken tent.  With a car, or a caravan, it's much easier to take stuff home for cleaning and repairing.

Curious survey. Wonder where they're going with the renting kit thing?

Still think they're looking at it the wrong way in part, it's substantially down to who you attract and how they're used to treating the world around them. You can almost always tell which will be the worst campsites at the end from day 1

I'm an over 50 veteran and I've never left anything behind.  The biggest problem is if you encourage people to come by public transport they are less inclined to take home a dirty, wet or broken tent.  With a car, or a caravan, it's much easier to take stuff home for cleaning and repairing.

I'd love to see some hard numbers on the subject, because my preconception would be the exact opposite - namely that Car Drivers are more likely to bring all manner of stuff on site through multiple trips, that they can't be arsed to drag back to the Car on Monday Morning - whereas Public Transport arrivals are more likely to have packed sensibly and so it's less of a hassle to take it all back.

But that's just based on experience of the people I've camped with/around over the years which admittedly is a tiny sample size so I could be massively wrong

It's all about the scale.  Any issue has a point of pinion, for example at Glastonbury when the discarded kit reached a certain level it then became an encouragement to others to do the same, seeing it as the norm.  I have seen this behaviour excused on this forum by some time and time again, with one person memorably saying "well, I've only left my tent twice" as if that made it ok.

I don't know if it's possible to say whether people who come by car or public transport are more likely to abandon kit, I think there are strong arguments both ways.

Curious survey. Wonder where they're going with the renting kit thing?

Still think they're looking at it the wrong way in part, it's substantially down to who you attract and how they're used to treating the world around them. You can almost always tell which will be the worst campsites at the end from day 1

more pre-booked camping, and where to price it, i'd expect.  Mr E has mentioned this before.

i was reading a notice there this year that said in 2014, 1 in 4(? i think, could be wrong) tents were left behind, costing £780,000 (definitely correct, that stuck in my head cos it's a huge number!) in landfill.

presumably, the extra cost of pre-booking something like Worthy View covers the cost of dismantling tents and picking up litter.  it turns an expensive problem into a tidy profit for them.

if people say they are happy to pay a bit more for this service, i'd be surprised not to see more offered.

Who would want to hire a sleeping bag or pillow that some other disgusting screb has spent the festival in? I'm sure they'd clean them, but I'm not sure you'd get rid of all that alcohol drool from the pillow.

obviously speculation, but..

how much does a sleeping bag cost?  how much if you buy them in thousands?  not much, i reckon.  so, in theory, festival goers can get a nice new clean one, which afterwards is cleaned and given to a charity, all costs covered by the punter.

I'm not sure if I would want to hire just a pre-erected normal tent with pillow / sleeping bag. I think if I was going to go for a different tent from my own I would splash out for more comfort than what I could get normally. But I suspect I'm not the target market for those things and it's aimed at the groups of people who buy the cheap tents and leave everything. I'm just not sure so what you can do to change the metally of those types of people. 

how much does a sleeping bag cost?  how much if you buy them in thousands?  not much, i reckon.  so, in theory, festival goers can get a nice new clean one, which afterwards is cleaned and given to a charity, all costs covered by the punter.

In bulk they could get them for £3/4 so the hire price would probably make them a small financial profit excluding the man hours used.

I will never understand why people leave things.

We took the car so maybe had slightly more than we needed but we did it in one trip and left nothing behind. Not even our rubbish bag.

30 years ago most tents were good bits of kit from a proper outdoors manufacturers that, if treated well, would do you years and years. The first tent I took was a Vango Force 10 ridge tent that my dad had had since the early 70s.

Tents now are available in LIDL for £9.99 - they're practically intended to be single use.

I suppose there is that. I still think you'd need a hazmat suit and a bonfire to safely dispose of a fair amount of them.

30 years ago most tents were good bits of kit from a proper outdoors manufacturers that, if treated well, would do you years and years. The first tent I took was a Vango Force 10 ridge tent that my dad had had since the early 70s.

Tents now are available in LIDL for £9.99 - they're practically intended to be single use.

Kids today...know the price of everything and the value of nothing. So my dad used to say.

Tis sadly a throwaway society we live in, seriously the message needs to get them young that we can't continue like this.

Thankfully my 10 yr old daughter was appalled at the litter in the pyramid field, so there is hope.

In the main arena areas at the most recent festival I attended, Chagstock, in Devon, I was struck by how little litter there was.  Litter bins were never more than a hundred yards away and people bothered to use them.  But the bins were just bins for all waste and there was little attempt at separation.

At Wychwood there are wheelie bins clearly marked for different waste types and on arrival campers get given a set of colour coded bags for different types of waste.

That must encourage separation but I guess there still have to be checks of the waste in case people have put stuff in the wrong bins.

But that will only deal with general waste created on site, mainly with purchases of food and drink and not things like tents.

I've not seen pictures of many festivals after the event, other than Glastonbury. though I do remember doing a site clearance a few years ago after the Trowbridge festival where we found one group had brought an old three-piece-suite to sit on and watch the fest and then left it behind.

I think the issue is such that festivals need to get their heads together and share good practice on what keeps waste levels down.

I darn my socks (well actually my 94 year old mother in law darns my socks).  But I agree that many things these days are less easily repairable.

I also make regular trips to my local tip (now grandly called a community recycling facility) where attempts are made at waste separation but still the majority of stuff goes into the 'General Domestic' skips.
One of the biggest problems is probably plastic as some can be recycled but most cant.
It's an issue in society at large and not just festivals that has to be examined.

Leaving tents behind it's just a Glastonbury problem - it's happening at festivals all over the country.  It's more an issue with the mindset of some of the people who are attending.  

Just to make it clear - we've never left anything behind.  In fact this year a couple of people in our group took an abandoned tent home with them as their's broke during the festival.  And it wasn't one of the cheap 2 man tents - it was a 5 man whopper and looked like it was the first time it had been used!  They looked it up online when they got back and it cost £250 new.  I just about managed to pack away my own 2 man tent on Monday this year but if you had the energy you could take a couple of these abandoned tents home, stick them on ebay and cover the cost of the festival!

Also, minor point, how was Park Home not one of the options on the survey?!

Also, minor point, how was Park Home not one of the options on the survey?!

Because the people who camp in Park Home are an absolute disgrace and their views shouldn't even be considered, the filthy toerags.

Seriously, people should stay well away from that field next year. Vile place.