Going to the festival with a baby on public transport

Glasto fan

My husband and I had been going to the festival for 10 years. We had tickets for last year's festival and then I found out I was pregnant. Our baby girl was born on Glastonbury weekend 2014. We didn't go again this year as we thought she was still too young but after watching it on TV we decided to try for tickets next year as even though it will be a different kind of festival it beats watching it on TV. We know people take babies and by next year's festival she will be turning 2.

One of the things we are interested to know is has anyone taken a baby to Glastonbury using public transport. We don't live far away, only in Bath, but usually get the train to Castle Cary and then the shuttle. We wouldn't want to do this with a baby though due to the queues particularly on the way out.

Are pre-booked coaches any better?

We don't have a car but thought we could hire one but as we would be going to a different gate if driving, not gate A where the queues are okay, then I don't know if this would be a good option either. We may be stuck in traffic for hours getting there and then have to queue for ages at the gate. Fine for the two of us but not with a little one.

What I would like to know is:

Has anyone done Glastonbury with a baby using public transport?

If you drive to the festival with a baby what is the best time to arrive to avoid queues on the road and on the gates?

People are encouraged to travel by public transport to the festival and we are advocates of this but can you really do it with a little one?

We got a See coach and ticket package this year, but decided not to take our son with us on the coach, as we'd heard horror stories about late departures and long delays. As it turned out our journey was quite straightforward, but we didn't want to take the chance of having a nightmare start to the festival, so he was dropped off to us on the Thursday by his grandparents, who live nearby. Not very encouraging, I'm afraid!

However, if you go for hiring a car, I've got a tip for you, based on the first time we took him in 2013. I'll PM you tomorrow.

Go by train, but just don't go at peak times. There will be no queues at all by mid afternoon. Or probably even earlier.

Edit on the Monday, wait till late afternoon

I'd second this - I left at 1pm on Monday and stood in the queue for the shuttle for nearly 2 hours, then another hour or so for a train. In full sun - no shade anywhere - not OK for adults, let alone for a baby.

Is there anybody who could have the little one till mid afternoon on the Wednesday. That way you and other half could go early to get you camping spot and no need to worry about little one. Then meet somewhere for kiddy hand over. Trust me I would do this if I could. My kids are 10 and 5 and the long cues that their toll on any parent.

I know about the train queues as we've done it so many times! We've often been left queuing in the hot sun (and the pouring rain!) and it definitely isn't something I'd want to do with a baby. Also physically getting on and off the train with all our stuff and a baby/toddler would be a mission in itself and then once you arrive at Castle Cary you've then got to do it all again on the shuttle buses. At least if you come by coach you just get on and are dropped off at the festival site. We don't have anyone who could deliver the little one to us so it is looking likely we'd have to come by car, which goes against the festival's green travel policy. Perhaps they need to consider a family-friendly way to get to the festival on public transport.

I know about the train queues as we've done it so many times! We've often been left queuing in the hot sun (and the pouring rain!) and it definitely isn't something I'd want to do with a baby. Also physically getting on and off the train with all our stuff and a baby/toddler would be a mission in itself and then once you arrive at Castle Cary you've then got to do it all again on the shuttle buses. At least if you come by coach you just get on and are dropped off at the festival site. We don't have anyone who could deliver the little one to us so it is looking likely we'd have to come by car, which goes against the festival's green travel policy. Perhaps they need to consider a family-friendly way to get to the festival on public transport.

You seem to have completely ignored the fact there are no queues outside of peak times.

You can't always rely on that though, in 2009 there were queues in the baking sun at Castle Cary and Bath and West throughout the day when the traffic problems hit.  

I personally would not take a child of that age on public transport unless I was planning on arriving quite a bit later in the day on the Wednesday.  My Granddaughter was born the same weekend as OP's baby (the Wednesday of 2014's festival) and my daughter wouldn't consider it unless she could get a lift through a combination of the amount of extra stuff a child of that age needs (limited space on coach) and the potential difficulties of such a young child being stuck on a delayed coach or in the baking sun for hours.

A couple on the coach I was on (2.15am from Brum) had a young lad with them, probably 5 or so and the lucky blighter slept almost the whole way, much to the relief of mum and dad I'm sure :)  

I love that people take their kids, I wish I hadn't pussied out on it myself (took my kids for the first time at 16).

You can't always rely on that though, in 2009 there were queues in the baking sun at Castle Cary and Bath and West throughout the day when the traffic problems hit.  

I personally would not take a child of that age on public transport unless I was planning on arriving quite a bit later in the day on the Wednesday.  My Granddaughter was born the same weekend as OP's baby (the Wednesday of 2014's festival) and my daughter wouldn't consider it unless she could get a lift through a combination of the amount of extra stuff a child of that age needs (limited space on coach) and the potential difficulties of such a young child being stuck on a delayed coach or in the baking sun for hours.

A couple on the coach I was on (2.15am from Brum) had a young lad with them, probably 5 or so and the lucky blighter slept almost the whole way, much to the relief of mum and dad I'm sure :)

I love that people take their kids, I wish I hadn't pussied out on it myself (took my kids for the first time at 16).

Yep it's a gamble for sure, but the train offers the lowest likelihood of being stuck in a queue or a delay for hours on end, provided you are nowhere near peak travel times.

I agree that public transport is a non-starter for the reasons you state though: you'd need to take tons of stuff with you and I just dont think it'd be possible to carry it all on public transport. 

But I dont really see much point in taking a child below the age of 3 or 4 anyway.

It does.  In the 2009 chaos they rerouted ALL the shuttle buses for several hours to Castle Cary rather than Bath and West just because it was a higher need due to the lower capacity.

My daughter has said that she won't be taking her little one until she is 4, but from that point on Glastonbury is basically her birthday party ever year.

My husband and I had been going to the festival for 10 years. We had tickets for last year's festival and then I found out I was pregnant. Our baby girl was born on Glastonbury weekend 2014. We didn't go again this year as we thought she was still too young but after watching it on TV we decided to try for tickets next year as even though it will be a different kind of festival it beats watching it on TV. We know people take babies and by next year's festival she will be turning 2.

One of the things we are interested to know is has anyone taken a baby to Glastonbury using public transport. We don't live far away, only in Bath, but usually get the train to Castle Cary and then the shuttle. We wouldn't want to do this with a baby though due to the queues particularly on the way out.

Are pre-booked coaches any better?

We don't have a car but thought we could hire one but as we would be going to a different gate if driving, not gate A where the queues are okay, then I don't know if this would be a good option either. We may be stuck in traffic for hours getting there and then have to queue for ages at the gate. Fine for the two of us but not with a little one.

What I would like to know is:

Has anyone done Glastonbury with a baby using public transport?

If you drive to the festival with a baby what is the best time to arrive to avoid queues on the road and on the gates?

People are encouraged to travel by public transport to the festival and we are advocates of this but can you really do it with a little one?

We travelled on the coach from Bath this year with our 18month old and our three year old. We were booked on coach 2 due to leave at 06:15 so got to the bus station for 5.45. Coach 3 and 4 were there but no signs of 1 and 2 until about 6.40ish i think. That said we were them first on the coach and the journey to gate A was painless and we didn't have to queue for too long, so were all banded up and inside just after 9. Overall the waiting / queing weren't bad and using the coach there wasn't a problem. We weren't sure what the SEETICKETS policy was on childseats, so sent them an email to clarify. We ended up taking a booster seat and a full car seat so this would something additional that you would need to think about taking with you.

We didnt have much other stuff to carry but it was still hard work getting across the site so this may play a part in your decision on taking yoru litle one and all the extra stuff that that entails.

Didnt use the coach going back so can't comment on how bad the queing might have been for that.

Good luck what ever you decide to do.

It is worth taking them for sure, it makes you do different things. We went with them in 2014 as well and its been great both years, even with some rain and mud. Not so sure we would have said the same if it had rained more though!

Not with a baby but we did plane, bus, coach in and bus, train, bus, plane home with a 4 and 5 year old and regards carrying stuff etc it was fine.

Unlike some here I always find Castle Cary great, we never wait too long as we know our train time, free water, toilets and food and  they have a great system there, we've always found them very helpful with the children's needs when they were small. having said that we generally leave the site about 2 to 3pm on the Monday we probably avoid the worst times.

Appreciate a baby could be harder with stuff and needs though but that's my input for what it's worth

I've never come by car but I think you can park up near and enter Gate A like public transport people, I'm sure I've read that here before

Edited by storm

I've used public transport (See Ticket coaches and Shuttle buses) to get on and off the site the last few years. As others have said these are very busy and potential for long delays at peak times on Wednesday morning and leaving Monday, but outside that time are very quiet and reliable (shuttle buses in particular)

I guess your plan is to camp on site in the family camping area, but one option might be to camp offside in Glastonbury town and get the shuttle in outside the busy times. This would obviously be a bit more expensive and less time on site but is worth looking at if you want to experience the festival but have a base off site if you need it

If we can get tickets, I'm taking my eldest with me for the first time next year. Depending on what friends are doing, we may try the coach.

Of course, he'll be 18 so it shouldn't be a problem. Truth be told, I'm just using him to help me carry stuff in.

I have been caught in delays at Castle Cary once or twice on the way in, but always due to traffic problems rather than anything to do with the trains themselves.

The way home can be trickier but if you get up and go early you won't queue for long (we left our camp around 6.30am this year and queued for under an hour to leave the site, plus a bit more at the station). 

Anyway, what I really wanted to post is that the staff at Castle Cary are usually fantastic. I'm sure they would help if you got caught up there and find some way to make sure you're comfortable. If it comes to it, there's a pub a couple of minutes up the road, so you could probably wait it out there!