PEARL JAM TO HEADLINE 2016

guypjfreak

On 21/02/2017 at 9:56 PM, Ovechkin said:

Yes in the UK that is correct. I still doubt that the lead singer of a band that play same slot at festivals as bands like Radiohead, FF, Muse, Coldplay, Beyonce, Arcade Fire, RHCP and so forth will play in the acoustic tent. 

On 21/02/2017 at 10:02 PM, Will-2609 said:

But Pearl Jam are much less suited to Glastonbury than all those acts and would draw much less of a crowd, hence why they'll never headline.

He may see the slot as below him (same way Pearl Jam would see anything other than Pyramid headliner as below them) but I doubt he'd overfill it or anything.

Why would you think they are less "suitable" for Glastonbury than FF, Beyonce or RHCP? I'd say they are more suitable than any of those three, they certainly fit into the Glasto ethos, politically speaking more than the others. And musically they are pretty similar to at least 2 of them (and far better than all 3 in my opinion)

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, ericlered said:

Why would you think they are less "suitable" for Glastonbury than FF, Beyonce or RHCP? I'd say they are more suitable than any of those three, they certainly fit into the Glasto ethos, politically speaking more than the others. And musically they are pretty similar to at least 2 of them (and far better than all 3 in my opinion)

Crowd-wise. The other three are mainstream giants. Pearl Jam would probably draw not much more of a crowd than Metallica, and a crowd that could probably fit comfortably on Other.

They're the same as Depeche Mode/The Cure in that in terms of the crowd they'd draw they're probably Other headliners, but they'd never accept anything less than Pyramid headline.

I say this as a fan, too. Much more so than I am of FF, RHCP or Beyoncé.

On 21/02/2017 at 10:02 PM, Will-2609 said:

But Pearl Jam are much less suited to Glastonbury than all those acts and would draw much less of a crowd, hence why they'll never headline.

He may see the slot as below him (same way Pearl Jam would see anything other than Pyramid headliner as below them) but I doubt he'd overfill it or anything.

Na he wouldn't see it as below him he plays for the music and that goes for pearl jam.. The fact that there are NO bands bigger than them that haven't played Glastonbury is just that a fact.. In the last five years or so pearl jam have subbed the rolling stones.. U2.... Neil Young. And more there not up there own asses.. 

As for Eddie Vedder solo well I saw him at Hammersmith and I can with hand on my heart say it was the best gig I've ever seen... He would be a great acoustic headliner... 

I'm still getting over a bender from Tuesday so can't articulate just good both pearl jam and Eddie Vedder are.... But if either played I'd not drink all day.. 

I think.. 

Ooooooooooohhhh a just so you know Eddie Vedder doesn't make pearl jam.. There are 5.......well 6 with boom......... And with out one there's no pearl jam.. 

Shit my head hurts 

On 21/02/2017 at 6:33 PM, Dark Star said:

Should imagine he'll be using Europe as a paid vacation, like he did in 2012.  The acts playing at that festival in Florence make me think this was probably originally booked for Pearl Jam and he's taking a booking they cancelled.  

Nope 

2 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Crowd-wise. The other three are mainstream giants. Pearl Jam would probably draw not much more of a crowd than Metallica, and a crowd that could probably fit comfortably on Other.

They're the same as Depeche Mode/The Cure in that in terms of the crowd they'd draw they're probably Other headliners, but they'd never accept anything less than Pyramid headline.

I say this as a fan, too. Much more so than I am of FF, RHCP or Beyoncé.

And your wrong old son especially on the Beyonce bit lol 

Thing is, Pearl Jam are very popular among Pearl Jam fans, but nobody else is that fussed about them (Stop there, if you listen very carefully, you'll actually be able to hear the sound of Guy fuming at that sentence :) )Stick them on the pyramid, you'd get a pretty small crowd. Now, that's not to knock them (I'll do that separately in a minute), it's just about who knows their stuff, who likes them and the type of appeal they have. 

5 minutes ago, Mardy said:

It's like the *Grateful Dead*, if they'd ever played, they'd have got a small crowd. Fucking shame, to me it seems monstrously unfair, but I reckon it's true.

In 72 they would've had a daycent enuff crowd. Would've made the Roeg doc aswell, so thousands more would've claimed to be there.

36 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

In 72 they would've had a daycent enuff crowd. Would've made the Roeg doc aswell, so thousands more would've claimed to be there.

You know, when i typed it, i was thinking about exactly that, i put something in about 'outside of the early 70s' and then withdrew it. But it got me thinking, even in the 80s, say, when Glastonbury wasn't the mainstream thing it is now, the Dead would still have struggled, i reckon.

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

You know, when i typed it, i was thinking about exactly that, i put something in about 'outside of the early 70s' and then withdrew it. But it got me thinking, even in the 80s, say, when Glastonbury wasn't the mainstream thing it is now, the Dead would still have struggled, i reckon.

There may have been a lot of people there but most of them would've fallen asleep.

"Ooh I like this song, I have this album"

*27 minutes later*

2yuhzc8.jpg

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

There may have been a lot of people there but most of them would've fallen asleep.

"Ooh I like this song, I have this album"

*27 minutes later*

2yuhzc8.jpg

You'd have needed the Dylan & The Dead tour for the full on 'i know this, hold on, do I? Yeah, i think i do, wait a minute, what the fuck have they done to this and when is it going to end' experience.

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

Thing is, Pearl Jam are very popular among Pearl Jam fans, but nobody else is that fussed about them (Stop there, if you listen very carefully, you'll actually be able to hear the sound of Guy fuming at that sentence :) )Stick them on the pyramid, you'd get a pretty small crowd. Now, that's not to knock them (I'll do that separately in a minute), it's just about who knows their stuff, who likes them and the type of appeal they have. 

That's it old son I've gone off you....... Nasty words them are and me being ill and all...... Never thought you would stoop so low....... 

Death in paradise was good tho.... 

That was for the nice people  mardy old man. 

23 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Awwwww... get well soon Guy

Death on paradise has got the new fella in it right? him from Father Ted. My wife likes it, but it's not my bag, I'm afraid.

I LOVE it it's like I can feel the sun lol.. But yea farther Ted is now columbo lol 

Edited by guypjfreak

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

Sold out Wembley Arena for 3 nights in 1990 mate.

Couldve headlined the Holts at any time in fests history. Never a Pyramid headliner of course, agree with you there.

There are dozens of similar US bands that don't make it "over" to that level. Pearl Jam one of 'em.

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

Sold out Wembley Arena for 3 nights in 1990 mate.

Couldve headlined the Holts at any time in fests history. Never a Pyramid headliner of course, agree with you there.

There are dozens of similar US bands that don't make it "over" to that level. Pearl Jam one of 'em.

yeah, one of the best things about going to the cinema last summer to see fare thee well was before they let us in to the screen, listening to all the old school dead heads reminiscing about seeing them on their trips to Europe. Some great stories.

10 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Hearing Ryan Adams talking bout the Dead on his recent chat with Maron was great "like a tank made of marshmallows rolling over you".

You hear Maron talking to Robbie Robertson? Some of it made me incandescent with rage, but there were a few good bits in there. Also, Barney Hoskins on the Word podcast was worth a listen.

I saw them at reading and they were OK.. And that's me saying that but then you see them at Cardiff, London, Manchester, and others but fuck me Milton Keynes was amazing and I couldn't care less if they played the other stage I personally would be happy... You see pearl jam aren't just a band it's like part of me.. I could say the same as new model army, Levellers, and others but I guess I will just have to wait ah..... 

Well you people that say pearl jam are to heavy for Glastonbury you got the foos and I hope your happy with it.. 

Even though there shite........... Well there not but they are init