PEARL JAM TO HEADLINE 2016

guypjfreak

Would be a great booking, well deserved reputation as one of the best live acts in the world, a solid group of songs that nearly everyone knows, known for doing big covers and having special guests.

I do wonder if the shadow of Roskilde might rule them out, despite not being the bands fault. It certainly seemed to have quite an impact on Michael at the time, though I guess lately they have started to book 'heavier' bands again so maybe those concerns have been put to rest.

The Roskilde thing does always annoy me a bit, surely Michael isn't stupid enough to think that booking Pearl Jam nowadays would be increase the chances of something like that occurring again? It wasn't even their fault back then.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be a great booking, well deserved reputation as one of the best live acts in the world, a solid group of songs that nearly everyone knows, known for doing big covers and having special guests.

I do wonder if the shadow of Roskilde might rule them out, despite not being the bands fault. It certainly seemed to have quite an impact on Michael at the time, though I guess lately they have started to book 'heavier' bands again so maybe those concerns have been put to rest.

Does nearly everyone know their songs? Before I actively started listening to them I'd never heard a Pearl Jam song in my life, and when listening to them I never find any songs which I knew but didn't know were by them.

Would be a fantastic booking but it probably wouldn't draw the biggest of crowds

Oh well... Who cares

They truly would bring in a very big crowd young sir.

I've seen them 6 times. Unquestionably, one of the greatest live bands of all time. The level of passion they put into their shows is so infectious and puts bands half their age to shame. I also think their ethos is so fitting with the glasto vibe, they would be perfect. Many casuals would come away as total believers.

They were fantastic at IoW, but Milton Keynes last year was just incredible, utterly magical - anyone who can dominate that stage is worthy of headliner status.

Hopefully Pete Townshend had a word with the Eavii and vouched for them.

I would very much like a Chris Cornell cameo for a full Temple of the Dog reunion.

a weird one, they are very marmite...i love them

but alot of people would be 'who'? or... is it 1992? they are completely irrelevant these days and also dont quite have heritage status..

HOWEVER, they are brilliant live, eddie is a great frontman , would get the festival and would throw in some covers...it would go down alot better than springsteen thats for sure

Would be a fantastic booking but it probably wouldn't draw the biggest of crowds

Oh well... Who cares

Only time I've seen them was at Leeds 06 and the crowd was pretty small then, I seem to remember easily wondering down to about 10 rows back without too much trouble,

MK was avery specail gig and i saw Eddie Vedder solo at hammersmith apollo which has to be THE best gig ive EVER seen [ i didnt think it would be but it was ] and i will have a chat with my son and try and do a thing on face book .......peace and love old sons

for all those taht dont get it watch and pray ......he doesnt even have to sing lol

I adore Pearl Jam and I would echo what others have said in that as a band they would totally 'Get' Glastonbury and the ethos surrounding the festival. A huge percentage of the Glasto audience would have grown up with their music in the early nineties. Ten is in my top 5 records of all time and I have to admit like many others I drifted away from the bad after Vitalogy and rediscovered them when the Rearviewmirror compilation came out. Since then I have been fully back on board and their last two albums have been outstanding. The Cameron Crowe directed documentary Pearl Jam 20 is one of the greatest music films ever in my opinion. I have always said it doesn't matter if you like their music or not because the film is beautifully put together and their story is so well told even people I know who dislike their music absolutely loved the film. A mention also has to go to Eddie's solo album for the Into The Wild Soundtrack. A truly outstanding piece of work.

I think I'd go to absolute pieces if they played and did Better Man.

Could we have a support group? 

Yes Lucy.  Yes we could.  The singalong to Better Man at MK last year was outstanding, can only imagine what it would sound like on the Pyramid.

I'm not too familiar with Pearl Jam, is there a definitive live show I should watch somewhere on YouTube?

Pearl Jam 20 is a great documentary by Cameron Crowe. In essence its a fairly straightforward biography, but rather than the usual VH1 behind the music stuff, its put together by an excellent director who genuinely loves the band. So much great unseen stuff, and the whole grunge era is captured really well.

I also love Imagine in Cornice - a live DVD from an Italian tour in '06 I think. The doco stuff in between is a bit ho-hum but the live stuff has a lot of energy and is really nicely filmed.

Now starting at Ten and working my way through the catalogue.  It's going to be a good afternoon.  Funny thing is that they completely passed me by during their heyday, had a copy of Vs. at uni in the late 90s, and then completely forgot about them until I got a ticket for MK last year.  Talk about wasting your youth!