Foals

The 38 year old virgin

Really can't get my head around the baffling suggestion that they're headliners at other festivals and something less at Glastonbury.

Agreed. I think when you look at the festival circuit of bands, there are a lot of bands who have headlined festivals many times. It is time some younger bands stepped up and were given the chance to headline.  I think Yannis said in an interview before the Latitude slot that he thought there was a problem with old bands who always get the headline slots. When you look at it - there are lots of big heritage bands that get back together and headline festivals, so much so - that as Glastonbury goers, people have become to expect some of those bands to always be on the line up. It isn't unreasonable to expect younger bands to headline and be given the chance. I get that maybe the younger bands don't shift tickets for younger bands. But, do we really want a music scene that is so focused on the past that there is little chance of younger bands getting a look in?

Foals have been around for 10+ years, plenty of media attention, I reckon they will do an arena tour with the new album and will easily be 'big enough' to headline. I think we just need a festival to be brave enough to take the chance. Glastonbury will likely sell out next year - must of us will be trying for tickets before we know who the headliners are. We all state that the festival is about more than just the headliners, yet none of us wants to give a band like Foals a chance. If we live in a world were the likes of Mumford and Sons can headline the festival after two albums - then why not a band like Foals? Surely they are on a similar scale as Arcade Fire? Would love to see them as Friday headliners :)

Really looking forward to the new album - it's one on my anticipated albums list and I haven't been disappointed by the two tracks so far. They are doing a session for R1 this evening as well, so will happily watch that / listen to that after the event, so I don't have to endure to much R1!

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really can't get my head around the baffling suggestion that they're headliners at other festivals and something less at Glastonbury.

Really? Glastonbury does get bigger acts headlining than any of the other major UK festivals. I'm pretty sure you could compare total career album sales across all the headliners for the major festivals, and Glastonbury's headliners would be way ahead of the rest. 

In fact you're probably better off comparing headliners between Coachella and Glastonbury, as in terms of high profile acts they're more comparable than between Glastonbury and other UK festivals. 

Foals aren't big enough to headline Glasto IMO. And remember last album they subbed the Other Stage, so next stage would be headlining that stage or subbing Pyramid. Some successful headline slots at other festivals though and next album cycle very possibly. 

Biffy Clyro wouldn't be a 'bump up' headliner. Unless you think Kasabian were?

No I guess you are right. They have headlined Reading haven't they?  

I guess its just that I feel Biffy's trajectory as levelling off, if not falling - whereas Foals have been steadily rising - and hopefully with this new album rocketing upwards. By festival season next year their lines could cross.  

Really? Glastonbury does get bigger acts headlining than any of the other major UK festivals. I'm pretty sure you could compare total career album sales across all the headliners for the major festivals, and Glastonbury's headliners would be way ahead of the rest. 

In fact you're probably better off comparing headliners between Coachella and Glastonbury, as in terms of high profile acts they're more comparable than between Glastonbury and other UK festivals. 

Foals aren't big enough to headline Glasto IMO. And remember last album they subbed the Other Stage, so next stage would be headlining that stage or subbing Pyramid. Some successful headline slots at other festivals though and next album cycle very possibly. 

That's not true. Most of the acts that are seen as bigger by way of sales have done Isle of Wight and that's if you choose to filter off the times when Glastonbury has moved acts like Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon up the lineup - the latter at least was playing a lower slot in the same country that summer. I don't see how Foals being given a chance would be different to that and also I don't get why you'd think that as a band grows it can only move one place up the bill - that's absolutely ridiculous. Mumford & Sons were Other subs before they headlined Glastonbury and Arcade Fire were Other subs before they moved up to headline slots as well.

Also to add to the first point, even if the headliners are deemed bigger than any other festival, it doesn't mean that the headliners of the other festivals will play second fiddle to such gods.

Edited by dentalplan

If anything it's the other way round. Yes, Glastonbury gets the odd monster act like the Stones or U2 who don't really play any other festivals, but when it comes to acts that generally do the circuit Glastonbury doesn't really get better than the rest. Kings of Leon subbed V the same year they headlined Glasto, Beyonce subbed T in 2011, etc. Yes the Libertines are headlining R&L but given that was a secret sub set it doesn't really count.

No I guess you are right. They have headlined Reading haven't they?

I guess its just that I feel Biffy's trajectory as levelling off, if not falling - whereas Foals have been steadily rising - and hopefully with this new album rocketing upwards. By festival season next year their lines could cross.

Yep, and Isle of Wight and T as well (and Sonisphere for what it's worth). I agree that giving Foals a shot would be great, incidentally - as you say, they've risen to the point where they wouldn't be ridiculously weak, and given the chance they'd smash it.

Let's just have Biffy and Foals both headline next year :)

Nah bun Biffy.

agreed

gone steadily DOWNHILL.

Last outstanding album was Infinity Land and that came out in what....... 2003? Others have a few good tracks but that was the last consistently good album in my view.

edit: it was 2004 I was a year out. New it came out near my birthday but wasn't sure what year. 

Edited by mungo57

That's not true. Most of the acts that are seen as bigger by way of sales have done Isle of Wight and that's if you choose to filter off the times when Glastonbury has moved acts like Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon up the lineup - the latter at least was playing a lower slot in the same country that summer. I don't see how Foals being given a chance would be different to that and also I don't get why you'd think that as a band grows it can only move one place up the bill - that's absolutely ridiculous. Mumford & Sons were Other subs before they headlined Glastonbury and Arcade Fire were Other subs before they moved up to headline slots as well.

Also to add to the first point, even if the headliners are deemed bigger than any other festival, it doesn't mean that the headliners of the other festivals will play second fiddle to such gods.

Mumford and Sons were the worst headliners (and least justified headliners more to the point) since the festival started getting really big though, they're no yardstick. Arcade Fire had The Suburbs, an album where they really broke through, in between where they didn't play Glastonbury. It's not that a band can only move up one place, but it's just their popularity hasn't really grown that much since the last album. 

Arctic Monkeys and Kings of Leon had both had massive number 1 singles, particularly Arctic Monkeys had broken records for fastest selling debut album. Kings of Leon were on a massive upward cusp. I like Foals and they're clearly a popular band, but they just don't have that same crossover yet. However, they're also not that far off either. 

Arctic Monkeys and Kings of Leon had both had massive number 1 singles, particularly Arctic Monkeys had broken records for fastest selling debut album. Kings of Leon were on a massive upward cusp. I like Foals and they're clearly a popular band, but they just don't have that same crossover yet. However, they're also not that far off either.

Yes but his point wasn't that they weren't big bands. His point was that they were playing lower slots elsewhere (KOL subbed V that year, Muse headlined the second stage at T when they headlined) so therefore Glastonbury doesn't get much bigger headliners than elsewhere.

Also had KOL had a number one single? They headlined Glastonbury before Sex on Fire or any other songs from that album were out.

For me it's just that I see Reading as being the only festival likely to take a chance on them, based on it probably being the most fitting festival for Foals, and Melvin saying he wants them to headline one day.

It isn't just that they'd take less at Glastonbury. I don't think they'd headline if they played T/V, either. So on the whole, if R&L offer them a headline slot, they'll take it and that'll be it, but if R&L don't offer them one, I don't think anyone will, and I could see them subbing at Glasto.

Also had KOL had a number one single? They headlined Glastonbury before Sex on Fire or any other songs from that album were out.

Don't think so. I remember they headlined when I actually liked the majority of their music. I think they had had number 1 albums but not a single. I was sure Sex on Fire was their first number 1.