Foals

The 38 year old virgin

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will hopefully headline, if the rest of the album is as good as What Went Down.

One of the best live bands around, I reckon.

Great live band seen them a few times with the best being their stint at Ally Pally early 2014.

Seen a few people say they could headline next year, hate to break it to you but they won't.

Love to see it, but they just wont.

Yeah, nailed on to headline R&L before glasto imo.

Somehow I have still never seen them, despite being one of my favourite current bands.

Total Life Forever is possibly one of my favourite albums of the last 10 years

Edited by mjsell

Great live band seen them a few times with the best being their stint at Ally Pally early 2014.

Seen a few people say they could headline next year, hate to break it to you but they won't.

Agree with this.  If they do play Glasto next year (as opposed to a festival exclusive headline set at Reading and Leeds) I'd say it'd be as Other Stage headliners or Pyramid subs at best.

Agree with this.  If they do play Glasto next year (as opposed to a festival exclusive headline set at Reading and Leeds) I'd say it'd be as Other Stage headliners or Pyramid subs at best.

Two people talking sense at last. I think on the Foals thing people need to put aside their liking for them and look at it realistically. There are far bigger acts than them about that have done the 'arena' tour even and still didn't headline 1st time off of it. They want to headline it yes, FR want them to headline in the future yes, but they aren't going to get it if they're not big enough. As for the person saying they were being lineup up to headline this year, complete bullshit. They are actually best off, knocking R&L on the head next year, doing Glastonbury and maybe T in sub equivalent slots and in a few years getting the R&L headline spot.

They are actually best off, knocking R&L on the head next year, doing Glastonbury and maybe T in sub equivalent slots and in a few years getting the R&L headline spot.

Why? Seems an odd decision if they were being offered R&L headliner, why prolong the process that pretty much everyone is in agreement is going to happen

Despite The Libertines doing so this year (by way of a secret set), R+L headliner and Glastonbury sub aren't equivalents so if they're big enough to headline R+L next year then they're also big enough to headline Glastonbury. They were supposed to have been offered the Friday sub job a few weeks ago as well but turned it down so I've no idea why they'd come back next year to do it.

They are looking a decent bet to headline Reading and Leeds considering how they've been given a shot with Latitude already by Melvin Benn and then gone onto headline Bestival. Hype seems to be building for this new album and I can certainly see it progressing throughout the next year. Booker and band have both said how much they want Foals to headline Reading so it's a no brainer, despite the devastatingly few arena shows they've played.

Edited by dentalplan

Why? Seems an odd decision if they were being offered R&L headliner, why prolong the process that pretty much everyone is in agreement is going to happen

Nothing says they have been offered that. IF they have then R&L will need two stella headline bookings or it will look weak as shit. There is no argument or debate to that, no one can really justify that it wouldn't.

Despite The Libertines doing so this year (by way of a secret set), R+L headliner and Glastonbury sub aren't equivalents so if they're big enough to headline R+L next year then they're also big enough to headline Glastonbury. They were supposed to have been offered the Friday sub job a few weeks ago as well but turned it down so I've no idea why they'd come back next year to do it.

They are looking a decent bet to headline Reading and Leeds considering how they've been given a shot with Latitude already by Melvin Benn and then gone onto headline Bestival. Hype seems to be building for this new album and I can certainly see it progressing throughout the next year. Booker and band have both said how much they want Foals to headline Reading so it's a no brainer, despite the devastatingly few arena shows they've played.

Did it ever occur, not having a go, just a question, that Foals turned it down as they had nothing new to actually showcase? I can't remember if the new song was out but if it was, it was only JUST. Even to sub it would make sense for them to return when the material is actually out and people know some of the new songs.

As I've said before, Bestival was only September last year. Flo did it in 2012, new album which is fairly good tbh, arena tour and only got a Glasto headline slot due to pull out. I'm just saying heading Bestival doesn't mean the next time you play it will be headline. I won't argue that R&L will be the 1st place to give it mind. They haven't done an any arena shows, it's not even devastatingly low lol.

I do think if offered they'll take it. But that wouldn't necessarily be as an exclusive would it?

Could, as dentalplan mentioned earlier, they headline Reading and sub Glastonbury?

If they had to choose. From the perspective that they're maturing as a band album on album, changing direction from catchy choruses (i.e. cassius, total life forever) into what some may see as more developed songs etc. Why would they headline a festival that caters predominantly for the 16-20 category over playing a high slot at Glastonbury?

Before anyone jumps on me, I've been Reading several times in my younger days and had a bloody good time.

I do think if offered they'll take it. But that wouldn't necessarily be as an exclusive would it?

Could, as dentalplan mentioned earlier, they headline Reading and sub Glastonbury?

If they had to choose. From the perspective that they're maturing as a band album on album, changing direction from catchy choruses (i.e. cassius, total life forever) into what some may see as more developed songs etc. Why would they headline a festival that caters predominantly for the 16-20 category over playing a high slot at Glastonbury?

Before anyone jumps on me, I've been Reading several times in my younger days and had a bloody good time.

If they play it, it's ex Exclusive UK Festival and I wouldn't be surprised if they hold off any major dates until the fest. They aren't/won't be big enough to do it so R&L will need people to want to pay to go see them there. Glastonbury wouldn't have them and IOW/T won't give them headline.

Did it ever occur, not having a go, just a question, that Foals turned it down as they had nothing new to actually showcase? I can't remember if the new song was out but if it was, it was only JUST. Even to sub it would make sense for them to return when the material is actually out and people know some of the new songs.

As I've said before, Bestival was only September last year. Flo did it in 2012, new album which is fairly good tbh, arena tour and only got a Glasto headline slot due to pull out. I'm just saying heading Bestival doesn't mean the next time you play it will be headline. I won't argue that R&L will be the 1st place to give it mind. They haven't done an any arena shows, it's not even devastatingly low lol.

I think they are playing about as many new songs in their sets as The Libertines had 'new' since the last time they played. :P Still I think the 'lack of new material' factor usually applies to the festival booking them, if they can get another slot without getting any new stuff out then they're laughing. Regarding Florence, I believe that her only initially being down to sub one festival here this summer was a decision made by her or her management or something - it seems like it was offered but rejected.

I was saying that wouldn't happen. :P

But Yannis said a couple of years ago that headlining Reading would be his "childhood dream", plus it'd look better and be more lucrative so they'd definitely take that over a high slot at Glastonbury. I think they'd take it over headlining Glastonbury.

I was saying that wouldn't happen. :P

But Yannis said a couple of years ago that headlining Reading would be his "childhood dream", plus it'd look better and be more lucrative so they'd definitely take that over a high slot at Glastonbury. I think they'd take it over headlining Glastonbury.

Haha :banghead:  I see sorry, my point is gone. I wonder how Reading felt/feel about Pete and Carl rocking up to Worthy Farm last minute?

I tihnk they'd take headlining Reading over subbing Glastonbury. But they couldn't not headline Glastonbury if offered it, not that I think they will be.

With the new album out soon I'm looking forward to seeing them live again though, Ally Pally again would be brilliant!

Foals strike me as a band that are very aware of how festival positionings works and how it can portray the size of a band.

Heard an interview with Annie Mac a few weeks back (just before glasto I believe) and they were discussing just this topic. Annie suggested they could headline festivals next year and yannis avoided the topic, but you could tell he was very aware that they could/would be.

Its for this reason i don't think they wouldnt sub glasto the same year they headline R&L

Edited by mjsell

I think they are playing about as many new songs in their sets as The Libertines had 'new' since the last time they played. :P Still I think the 'lack of new material' factor usually applies to the festival booking them, if they can get another slot without getting any new stuff out then they're laughing. Regarding Florence, I believe that her only initially being down to sub one festival here this summer was a decision made by her or her management or something - it seems like it was offered but rejected.

At least The Libertines actually had released album details though, there is nothing to that on Foals. They are playing two, The Libs played 3 ;P. 

I think if Glasto offered them a sub slot then it shows exactly where the festival view them and that would be a few years/one more album away from a headline spot. I think there is a lot more to look into from it that what people want it to mean.

The reason Flo was just down for just Glastonbury is obvious. He management already had her penned in for a UK Tour and the only festival people could see her bar that was sold out. A R&L booking would go against it completely. Her heading Glasto int he end doesn't really make a difference except for giving her more air time, it's still  a ticket that was old out.

I'll admit if they can get FF and Blur booked up, they can get away with Foals probably, anything less and they are pushing it. It needs to be that standard I think. I do think though the undercard could suffer if they get that strong.

Haha :banghead:  I see sorry, my point is gone. I wonder how Reading felt/feel about Pete and Carl rocking up to Worthy Farm last minute?

I tihnk they'd take headlining Reading over subbing Glastonbury. But they couldn't not headline Glastonbury if offered it, not that I think they will be.

With the new album out soon I'm looking forward to seeing them live again though, Ally Pally again would be brilliant!

Probably not much really. It was essentially a secret set so they didn't really break any exclusivity agreements plus they'd already had a few months to sell tickets so them playing on BBC could really have only helped R+L.

I definitely don't think it's something that'll be repeated whereby a headliner at such a large festival as R+L takes a lower slot. I can't imagine Glastonbury will even get to offering a lower slot to Foals if they hear they're entertaining headline offers plus Glastonbury is generally modest enough to realise when a band is pushing headliner status and offering them the first bump up rather than trying to get a headline act in a lower slot to boost the festival's name. Of course if Foals aren't being offered headline slots then all that goes out the window but I really do think they will be.

New single Mountain at My Gates here.

Cuts out early for some reason (the songs is 4:04 on iTunes) but it is a leak. Proper version comes out on Monday. 

I'm enjoying it on my first couple of listens though it hasn't had the same impact What Went Down had on me. I think it'll do quite well though, similar to My Number.

Edit: You can ignore the second sentence there if you're on your phone as for some reason it plays the full version.

Edited by kingcrawler

I've said it before, and I may be proved wrong, but I still don't see them being bumped up to headliners, not even at Reading - I like them, but I just don't think they're that much of a draw. I think they'll stay as subs at best at the major festivals, but they'll probably continue to get some headline slots at festivals like Latitude and Bestival. 

If they're gonna headline at Glastonbury, it'll be the Other Stage.