How to rescue TITP

OneLittleFish

Agree Red Day. We did Werchter this year with the kids. Got the feeling that this is a festival organised by music lovers. The lineup was fantastic. The sound was spot on no matter where you were standing. Free transport as soon as you hit Belgium. Flushing porcelain toilets in the arena. Couldn't really fault it. 4 full days for about the same price as T even with the flights included. RIP TITP!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree Red Day. We did Werchter this year with the kids. Got the feeling that this is a festival organised by music lovers. The lineup was fantastic. The sound was spot on no matter where you were standing. Free transport as soon as you hit Belgium. Flushing porcelain toilets in the arena. Couldn't really fault it. 4 full days for about the same price as T even with the flights included. RIP TITP!

Nail on head. Fantastic festival

Aye it's on my list for July. Was going to go last year then got the heads up that Sonisphere was going ahead so opted for that instead. This year it's Rambling Man Fair. Next year will maybe be Werchter but I'm looking across the pond at options just now.

There is loads of better places in Scotland to hold a large festival. the problem is they want to keep it in Perthshire.

That severely limits the options.

The traffic chaos was well highlighted by experts before the festival. Whole thing stinks of corruption and people being paid off for the event to go ahead in the first place.

The best way to save TITP is to make it camping only. 

Dont really see the need for this thread, T doesn't need 'rescuing' I'm sure taking into account the fact the organisers will have expected lower sales due to having a new site they will have sold fine. Looked like the Sunday was pretty rammed from what I've seen and some acts had big crowds. I'm sure they'll iron out the problems from moving site too.

I've went to T last year and Werchter this year and both had their positives and negatives, I enjoyed both thoroughly. T does well in the UK festival scene to maintain some elements of its former line ups with bookings like Pixies, Hot Chip etc etc. It wouldn't be viable for T to completely cater its lineup to some peoples expectations on these boards. Their's a reason T had to shift its direction to a more EDM focus, its what popular and what draws crowds but they still do their best to maintain a good amount of diverse bookings for the older goers to T and people seem to overlook that.

I think you'll find it does need rescuing...   they have completely lost the whole festival ethos.    

by banning cooking, gazeboes,etc , and who the fu** wants to attend a music festival for a whole weekend where everything stops before midnight?  Herded like sheep back to campsite with F all to do and nowhere to go?

I go to Music festivals to enjoy myself ...not to be looking over my shoulder constantly for undercover cops. 

He wants to have a Connect type festival on a bigger scale.....wrong site with no infrastructure to sustain it... which also does not allow for expansion.

Funny thing about castles??    they are built in places where they are F'kin hard to get to? 

I think you'll find it does need rescuing...   they have completely lost the whole festival ethos.    

by banning cooking, gazeboes,etc , and who the fu** wants to attend a music festival for a whole weekend where everything stops before midnight?  Herded like sheep back to campsite with F all to do and nowhere to go?

I go to Music festivals to enjoy myself ...not to be looking over my shoulder constantly for undercover cops. 

He wants to have a Connect type festival on a bigger scale.....wrong site with no infrastructure to sustain it... which also does not allow for expansion.

Funny thing about castles??    they are built in places where they are F'kin hard to get to? 

A lot of those things are the same at many other festivals.

They will work out the travel issues I'm sure, it was poor planning but they tried their best to select the best location for the festival

Dont really see the need for this thread, T doesn't need 'rescuing' I'm sure taking into account the fact the organisers will have expected lower sales due to having a new site they will have sold fine. Looked like the Sunday was pretty rammed from what I've seen and some acts had big crowds. I'm sure they'll iron out the problems from moving site too.

I've went to T last year and Werchter this year and both had their positives and negatives, I enjoyed both thoroughly. T does well in the UK festival scene to maintain some elements of its former line ups with bookings like Pixies, Hot Chip etc etc. It wouldn't be viable for T to completely cater its lineup to some peoples expectations on these boards. Their's a reason T had to shift its direction to a more EDM focus, its what popular and what draws crowds but they still do their best to maintain a good amount of diverse bookings for the older goers to T and people seem to overlook that.

I don't agree that they had to shift to EDM, for me it's no coincidence that ticket sales have fell since it did. Isle of Wight, Reading/Leeds, and Glastonbury haven't and have been fine.

I don't agree that they had to shift to EDM, for me it's no coincidence that ticket sales have fell since it did. Isle of Wight, Reading/Leeds, and Glastonbury haven't and have been fine.

R/L demand has also fallen greatly since they started integrating dance music. Isle of Wight hasn't but also has not sold out since TITP last did. And Glasto can't be compared to any other festival anymore really, it it's own very healthy beast. Don't know what the proves mind.

Did Geoff not come out with a quote that he wanted the average age of T revellers to fall into an under 25 bracket?

This seems to have worked but the shortfall on previous years sales seems to be the over 25 element who are staying clear of recent line ups.

The beauty of earlier T's was the ability to suit all age groups and tastes

Both Isle of Wight and especially Reading and Leeds have to some extent, most festivals have seen a drop in sales and it is mostly not down to the more EDM friendly line ups rather other factors such as the recession/lack of acts touring around UK festival time. If you look back at Calvin Harris/Avicii crowds at T they were absolutely massive, Calvin Harris alone sold the saturday out at T really last year.

Both Isle of Wight and especially Reading and Leeds have to some extent, most festivals have seen a drop in sales and it is mostly not down to the more EDM friendly line ups rather other factors such as the recession/lack of acts touring around UK festival time. If you look back at Calvin Harris/Avicii crowds at T they were absolutely massive, Calvin Harris alone sold the saturday out at T really last year.

that last bit reads like a justification for more EDM and not less of it. :lol:

I'd say the drop in festie sales is less about anything recession, and more to do with changed fashions.

Firstly, the 'peak-festie' of around 2009 was never going to be sustained.

And secondly, there's less of a traditional link between the current musical fashions and festivals, which makes festies a harder sell to the current youngsters,

that last bit reads like a justification for more EDM and not less of it. :lol:

I'd say the drop in festie sales is less about anything recession, and more to do with changed fashions.

Firstly, the 'peak-festie' of around 2009 was never going to be sustained.

And secondly, there's less of a traditional link between the current musical fashions and festivals, which makes festies a harder sell to the current youngsters,

Hahah not a massive supporter of it, but I can certainly see why it has its place and is necessary to an extent at this current moment in time especially in the bookers eyes.

Fair points, I agree the UK festival scene had to hit a dropping point eventually.

Not sure what you're trying to say here

there's a long history of rock music in a field; it's what rock music fans do. There isn't for EDM, and their fans see music in a field as something the rock fans do, not them.

Rock music tends to be for scruffs, too, who are happy to rough it in a field for days. Non-scruffs aren't so keen.

There's other aspects too.

Not all musical tribes are as easy to sell the same festival experience to.

The only way you will save titp is for the fud doing the bookings to get the bullet and more importantly find a decent venue because strathallan is a utter fucking shambles and no amount of tweaking will sort it,if it stays there ticket sales will plummet.

Thought the sound from the mainstage and radio 1 was shite.

Cocktail cocktail was brilliant.