How to rescue TITP

OneLittleFish

Not posted in ages on here but was watching on the telly. Used to be a proper T devotee but haven't been in years and only watched because there was nothing else on the telly. Looked like a really dull and undersold crowd to my eyes, despite the smaller site. I was wondering posters thoughts on how you turn around TITP?

I genuinely think that they might have gone past the point of no return; they've put all their eggs in the Radio 1 crowd basket and now that they're growing up they're unlikely to stick with you. It's the more seasoned festial goers that appreciate an Elbow or Sigur Ros or DJ Shadow or that who are more likely to return year in, year out IMO (a 6Music listener would be a good demographic IMO) and by taking away Pet Sounds and booking more pop acts T has done a good job to alienate them.

I just don't know if those same people would be willing to return after all the years of repetitive, cheap crap line-ups. Kraftwerk playing to a two thirds empty King Tuts tent summed it up for me - that should be a once in a lifetime booking yet it was shoved away in King Tuts and the average T goer just wasn't interested, yet many of them might just grow out of the festival scene once a young family enters the scene or full time work etc.

I think T might need to take advantage of the smaller site and reduce their capacity and integrate more of the idea of Connect into the line-up and general site - more stalls, more options for food and drink, local food and drink to make it a bit more boutique (like Geoff Ellis had suggested might be an idea) and even if they're having to put on less stages or make their money from other avenues actually create a buzz about the place again and give it a chance of selling out. Pare it back a little to build it up again. Don't know how viable that is business wise but really wouldn't be surprised if they've run out of ideas as it is.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T is the right of passage festival for school leavers in Scotland. Without them it would have died years back. The damage is too great and too ingrained now. The only hope is for T to cut back a bit more, make itself the EDM and dancefest that the school leavers want it to be and for a 2nd big festival with real bands and a real festival vibe to take over for the real music fans. 

That site does look too small and initial reports suggest that it is but I await the feedback with interest because done properly it could be special. Unfortunately "properly" and "for maximum profit" never overlap anymore.

I agree that they should target the 6music listener more. Of course I'd say that as I am a 6music listener. The lineup this year just looks lazy. Kasabian have never really been strong enough to be headliners. One and half good albums out of five so they don't have the material of a Radiohead or Manic Street Preachers to call on. Putting their eggs in the R1 basket is doomed to failure. That music just seems like so 'here today, gone tomorrow'. Avicii, Harris or Guetta albums are never going to be timeless. I think they should start again and cater for real music fans. Start small and build it up. Just now it seems like they are taking the 'real music' fans for granted. Throw them a Stereophonics or Kasabian shaped bone and everything will be fine. They have alienated real fans which is very disappointing

downsize the size of the festival, going by the coverage, its clearly too small for two big out door stages and 3/4 tents, have two festivals on the site (I think the site will do well once the travel issues are resolved) either side of summer, one around the time of latitude and some acts around europe that will be more band/rock orientated, then 'T' early august sharing much of V fest line up

They've booked bands like the war on drugs and St Vincent and both have had either small / dead crowds. It's not the bands they book that's the problem, it's the audience.

The people that attend T now, don't want to see that stuff - booking what the main audience doesn't want won't change T's demographic or "save it". Those wanting EDM just won't attend, and then T will have even worse ticket sales.

I don't really think there's anyway to solve the problem.

They've booked bands like the war on drugs and St Vincent and both have had either small / dead crowds. It's not the bands they book that's the problem, it's the audience.

The people that attend T now, don't want to see that stuff - booking what the main audience doesn't want won't change T's demographic or "save it". Those wanting EDM just won't attend, and then T will have even worse ticket sales.

I don't really think there's anyway to solve the problem.

This - I don't think it'll come close to selling out again. They've successfully chased away those who want more than Radio 1/chart acts and found themselves with a fickle crowd who'll grow out of the festival scen e quite quickly, and the odd St Vincent/War On Drugs on the bill won't draw back the more hardened festival goer.

They've backed themselves into a corner I fear.

T changed direction in 2012 and alienated those who liked more than EDM/pop pish. A couple of token trendy guitar bands won't get those people back. They need to go balls out for a decent headliner and some decent undercard acts that will keep the guitar fans happy over the weekend. Most importantly though they have to get it done EARLY and announce it. In other words take a risk. They won't and T is heading downwards quickly.

It'll have to die and come back as something else to get the punters back, and most definitely on a site that can support it. Reading FB today makes me sad. I thought that social media was a shitstorm of abuse in 2012 but holy shit, there are thousands of angry and pissed off people out there just now. T's never going to get them back if they offer free blowjobs with every ticket.

One of the best comebacks this year has been Ride. 5 star reviews all over the shop. In the past they'd have been snapped up by T and I was disappointed that they weren't. Thinking outside the box required but given the past few years I doubt it. Same old same old. It'll be Calvin's turn next year surely? :P

They have been talking of moving from Balado for years so you would have thought in that time they could have scouted out a more suitable location that can support the numbers of fans. It just seems like they have rushed it this year and it has all went pete tong.

Gone are the days when i bought my tickets on the Monday straight after T. I have no confidence in them to put on a decent enough lineup for me and my mates to attend anymore.  The acts they put on now attract a more younger teen audience and fucking daft wee neds.

The end is nigh. RIP TITP!

I agree that they should target the 6music listener more. Of course I'd say that as I am a 6music listener. The lineup this year just looks lazy. Kasabian have never really been strong enough to be headliners. One and half good albums out of five so they don't have the material of a Radiohead or Manic Street Preachers to call on. Putting their eggs in the R1 basket is doomed to failure. That music just seems like so 'here today, gone tomorrow'. Avicii, Harris or Guetta albums are never going to be timeless. I think they should start again and cater for real music fans. Start small and build it up. Just now it seems like they are taking the 'real music' fans for granted. Throw them a Stereophonics or Kasabian shaped bone and everything will be fine. They have alienated real fans which is very disappointing

I don't know why at all you think targeting 6music listeners would be a good idea. You are full on the bias side here. It would never make enough money.

When the radio one thing was indie landfill no one had a problem with the music being current.

And at festivals before T existed people used to say similar things to the above about acts such as Prodigy.

Successful large festivals stay current. Ageing people like to stick with what they know.

That's a tad unfair but it's a fair point that when R1 was indie based we had no problem. However, it's now an established festival ..... or it was. I always saw TITP in the Glastonbury class. Glasto has remembered its roots while embracing the present trends whereas TITP has gone off in a different direction. Maybe I'm wrong to say it was in the Glastonbury class.

Successful large festivals stay current. Ageing people like to stick with what they know.

This year's Glasto seemed to have a decent mix. The reason I listen to 6 and not say, XFM or Vrigin is that I want to hear new music. I'd have never found the likes of Foals and Alt J without 6

When the radio one thing was indie landfill no one had a problem with the music being current.

And at festivals before T existed people used to say similar things to the above about acts such as Prodigy.

'Indie landfill' had a relative degree of cross generational appeal that edm doesn't which is part of the problem,

With regards to the future of TITP how do you reckon it will fare? Beginning to doubt it has a future after the year

It's not a case of "keeping current" as the year on year increases to the 6Music audience shows that there is a market for alternative music. T has upped their ticket prices whilst taking away stages such as Pet Sounds which catered for this audience, alienating them whilst booking more EDM and pop acts. Now they're not coming close to selling out, it's clear it's not working.

There's nothing wrong with booking EDM and pop acts but when it's to the detriment of variety then you're making yourself a bit more niche and IMO that's why T is struggling, the sort of person who listens to Jessie J, The Script, Avicci, David Guetta and all that aren't likely to be the die hard music fan who'll spend their money loyally but the casual music fan who are more fickle.

DF would do well to look at the Electric Picnic lineup this year which has just sold out close to 50,000 tickets. There are some pop and dance acts but also a strong focus on 6music type artists too, there is obviously a big market for it.  

Better still would be T looking at the history of its Irish counterpart Oxegen and seeing where they failed, it looks like T is following that same path.

Edited by Frrrraaappp head

Belladrum sells out almost instantly without a single artist being named. Mind you they've started adding VIP extras and the like now so it'll be going down the same cash cow path to the slaughter house if they carry on down that route.

DF would do well to look at the Electric Picnic lineup this year which has just sold out close to 50,000 tickets. There are some pop and dance acts but also a strong focus on 6music type artists too, there is obviously a big market for it.  

I think the best thing for TITP to do now is split into two smaller festivals, a '6Music'/electric picnic esque festival and an outright dance festival. As it is the dance music that alienates a lot of the 'T fatihful' 

Edited by DGrant261

Neil do you have any info on why it was so badly organised this year? Can't comprehend with the experience they have they made such a mess off it.

site couldn't have been laid out worst if they'd tried. Did the ospreys thing cause any last minute changes?

Hi guys

first post on here for a few years now.  I find i get too excited to the lead up to T and a forum discussing how good the weekend's going to be is just to much....

So i've had 14 years camping up Balado and this year was my first venture into the day trip and city link busses.  My usual take on it is whats the point.  I'd rather be in my tent having a beer than fighting my way onto a bus.  So this year was always going to be a challenge.

I'll not go too much into some of the new site disasters - i think we will all have suffered them.  I will say that the saturday ruined it for me and it will be hard to get me back up there again.  didn't even bother going up the sunday i was that p**sed off.

As for the bands playing and the direction the festival has been going in.  For me personally the headliners haven't been headliners for the last few years.   However there's been plenty in the way of smaller bands playing during the day that keeps it worth while for me.  Kodaline in the BBC introducing tent 2 years ago, miles Kane in king Tuts, Saw Doctors, Travis in King Tuts, two door cinema club, bryan wilson, sinead o'connor.  

When you compare the price of an average ticket for a gig nowadays its usually in the £30 region.  Probably a minimum of £50 for anyone playing the glasgow hydro.  So for value for money, TITP is excellent considering the amount of bands you see and also the chance to see some people you wouldn't normally pay money to see.  The expensive part is the onsite food and beer.

So i think TITP were trying to stay current with your Jessie jay's etc but also offering some other good bands during the day, but just not as headliners.  And as always, they've never really pulled off a 'massive' headliner in years.  I would say REM was the biggest and last they managed.  I don't see them trying for anyway big now considering the small size of the arena.  They'd never fit Calvin Harris,who sold it out for them last year, into the main stage now.

will i go next year - i'm saying no now but we'll see......

so anyways thats my thoughts on it.